Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2009 4:24:30 PM EDT
LMT upper, RRA lower, DPMS LPK.

Fired 200+ rounds through it and had 2 malfunctions. Both malfunctions were light primer strikes. Or so I assumed. When looking at the indentations, the "light strikes" didn't look any fainter than the primer dents on the fired casings.

The ammo was a new half-case of Brown Bear though.

Do you think the problem was with the ammo or with the hammer spring  tension/force of the rifle?

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Brown Bear
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
another vote for the brown bear
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 2:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  bad ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If it were really "light primer strikes," this could have been just break in issues.  Is the lower well lubricated?  How hard/heavy/gritty is the trigger?  Is the hammer spring really installed properly?  Really really?  You don't say if you tried to fire those two rounds again-did you?  If so, what happened?  

Out of billions of rounds having a few bad primers is not bad odds, and EVERYBODY had that, Winchester, Federal, Speer, everybody.  I've fired hundreds and hundreds of Brown Bear ammo, and never had a single reason to consider it to be bad.  On the contrary, it's been outstandingly consistent.  On the other hand, I've seen plenty of opportunities for a new build to not work 100%, based solely on being so new that there are rough edges and dry surfaces in contact with each other (yes, on MY builds).

Since there's no way to inspect the ammo for function before use, I'd make triple sure that the gun was functioning 100%.  And I'd keep Brown Bear as a range round in any case-it's not wimpy, but it's not "service ammo" either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it were really "light primer strikes," this could have been just break in issues.  Is the lower well lubricated?  How hard/heavy/gritty is the trigger?  Is the hammer spring really installed properly?  Really really?  You don't say if you tried to fire those two rounds again-did you?  If so, what happened?  

Out of billions of rounds having a few bad primers is not bad odds, and EVERYBODY had that, Winchester, Federal, Speer, everybody.  I've fired hundreds and hundreds of Brown Bear ammo, and never had a single reason to consider it to be bad.  On the contrary, it's been outstandingly consistent.  On the other hand, I've seen plenty of opportunities for a new build to not work 100%, based solely on being so new that there are rough edges and dry surfaces in contact with each other (yes, on MY builds).

Since there's no way to inspect the ammo for function before use, I'd make triple sure that the gun was functioning 100%.  And I'd keep Brown Bear as a range round in any case-it's not wimpy, but it's not "service ammo" either.

^this^

if the round is just cycled through the rifle, you will see a light primer strike. the firing pin is free floating. nothing to worry about. if you fired them, well...
you could try different ammo and see if the same thing happens.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Double check your hammer spring.  I think Dano has a picture of incorrect and correct installation over in the troubleshooting section.  If the legs of the hammer spring are not parallel with the top of the lower receiver, you've got your hammer spring in backwards.  It's easy enough to do because it still all goes together and function checks.  Another by product of having it in backwards is trigger pin walk.  Since the legs of the hammer spring need to be parallel in the lower receiver to correctly engage the slots of the trigger pin, the trigger pin can walk on you if it's not engage correctly by the hammer spring.

Hope this helps.

-Ty
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is the hammer spring really installed properly?  Really really?

Quoted:
Double check your hammer spring.  

Thank you both for making me double-check. My hammer spring was installed incorrectly. I fixed it last week and took it to the range yesterday - purrs like a kitten now.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the hammer spring really installed properly?  Really really?

Quoted:
Double check your hammer spring.  

Thank you both for making me double-check. My hammer spring was installed incorrectly. I fixed it last week and took it to the range yesterday - purrs like a kitten now.

Beautiful!  Glad to hear it, and glad you had fun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
i would say, "shitty ammo".
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i would say, "shitty ammo".

There is still that
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive heard people have better luck with Wolf than Brown Bear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
No pics and brown bear...your almost three strikes son.....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top