Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2003 2:56:59 PM EDT
Great rifle!  I haven't had much time to shoot it til recently, and I've been testing out my reloads too, but yesterday I found a good load that brought out some of my varminter's potential.  Got a 3/4" group at 100 yards after about a 100 rounds through it w/ a hot barrel, and was nailing fist sized targets at 350 yards.  Also, I have about 700-800 rounds through this thing without a single jam or malfunction.  This gun shoots like a dream, and I just felt like sharing that w/ everyone.  First AR and couldn't be happier.  Only thing that I might complain about this rifle is that there is a little play between the upper and lower, but nothing an accuwedge or tensioning pin couldn't fix.  Would recommend RRA to anyone looking for a great AR.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds great. My 20" RRA varminter should be in this week. I can't wait. Sounds like I made the right choice.
Have fun and be safe.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
what barrel length?  i just got a 24" RRA Varmint on saturday.  what optics are you using?  Standard or EOP?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 16" RRA varminter and my best 5-shot group has been 1.25" @ 200yds.  The average of ten 5-shot groups was .91" at 100yds, so I'm pretty happy with the setup.  This was done with handloads from a bench with front and rear bags.  I'm currently using a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40.

I chose the 16" version to limit the weight and because I knew I wouldn't use this gun for any shots over 300yds.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is a 20" with the standard flat top.  I'm using a simmons 44 mag 6.5-20x scope on top w/ rra mount.  More to report too.  Took it out to the range this morning and got a 3 shot group in 1/4" and 5 in 5/8" (100 yards).  These were with handloads (75g a-max over 24.5g Varget, wsr primer, LC brass).  Very windy too.  From bench w/ bipod and rear bag.  I love this damn thing, never expected to shoot so well w/ my first rifle.  Anyone who gets this rifle will not be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine's 24" with Swift 6-12x. (Very nice scope for very little dough)

I'm just starting, having just home-made some once fired brass. Groups are not to brag on, using Q3131a- but it's a start.

I've got H322 and IMR3031 on hand, I think I'm going to try XMR 2015... apparently it REALLY launches the 52 grain pills.

I think it would be nice to get a thread going for those of us with RRA bull barrels with Wylde chambers... to see what we see in the reloading department.

OK, I'm fired up! To the reloading bench!

Pete
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
stinkeypete, what twist do you have?

i gotta start reloading :)
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i bought a 24" varminter about a month ago, i probably have 500 rounds through it and absolutely love it, yesterday i just bought a leupold vxII 6 to 18 scope and 1000 rounds of winchester, cant wait to go out again tomarrow
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My 16" RRA varmint hovers around 1" at 100 yards...I've cracked moa once or twice, but not consistently...and that's with the absolutely horrid stock trigger.  (I just did a "15 minute trigger job" on it, and it cut the pull weight in half).  I'm using 55gr Noslor BTs, but I think that 1:8 barrel wants a heavier bullet.  My 20" HBAR and my bolt .223 both love the 55gr bullet, but I was expecting a little more out of the RRA.  I'm too poor right now to order any more stuff, but at some point I'll have to try it with either the 69gr Sierras, or maybe even something heavier.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Fenian, try either the 75 bthp or 75 a-max hornady's in your rifle.  Mine loves them w/ the 1/8" twist, and if you handload, varget is the perfect powder to push out those heavier bullets.  The only porblem w/ the a-max though is that they have to be single loaded because there is no way to fit them in the mag, but the bthp's are made for mag length.  Get about 3/4" with those (over 24g Varget).  Good luck.

P.S.  You mentioned that the stock trigger sucked.  Is that the RRA 2-stage?  Mine is very nice and breaks cleanly, and everyone on the board w/ an RRA seems speaks highly of it.  Different trigger or maybe a dud?  Just wondering.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a one of a kind, I think.  It started life as a 20", but I had it cut and recrowned (by a local gunsmith)to 16", so I could have a full-length Hogue tube on it...which I do.  Trigger is right at 3-3 1/2 pounds total pull.
Sluggo  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top