Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:38:47 AM EDT
Is it possible to cause a malfunction by having too much buffer spring weight (resistance)?

I am running an all CMT 16" carbine.  I have an O-Ring on the Extractor Spring, a H buffer, and a Wolffe XTRA Power buffer spring.

The malfunction that is occuring is only with some ammunition (1 or 2 types) when the weapon is cleaned and lubed, and it happens more freaquently when the weapon is dirty.  The malfunction is the bolt group travels far enough backwards to eject the spent casing but not far enough to strip a new round off of the mag continuing the loading cycle.

I have done the short stroke test and with the certain type of ammo (Black Hills 60 gr V-Max)  and it fails to actuate the bolt catch.  However, with other ammo (American Eagle, Rem UMC, XM193, etc...) it is good to go.  One round of q3131 experienced the said malfunction.

Rifle is new with approximately 200-250 rounds through it.

Cleaned correctly and lubed the same with of course Brake Free.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I cleaned the rifle thoroughly at the beggining of the session, in which I fired 80 rounds.  The rifle belongs to a friend and he was having problems with it so he gave it to me to fix, therefore I cannot say what the prior cleaning routine has entailed.

Why would it be over function if the bolt carrier is not going backward enough to strip a new round off the mag, and why would it be ammo picky?  If it was over function, then wouldn't the rifle perform poorly with XM193 (it doesn't)?  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I may be slow today but if it is over functioning due to too large gas ports why would it work with hot ammo and not lower pressure ammo, it seems it would be the other way around?  Or are you saying that becasue of all the "enhancements" done that slows down the unlocking and rearward speed of the carrier that the lower powered ammo does not have enough "umph" to cycle the carrier completely?

I am sorry if I am not understanding what I should, but I have had a VERY long day...week...month...year...

BTW:  The link you posted is not working.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That is what I was going to do.  

To me, it doesn't seem like the rifle is short stroking because it worked with different ammo, like I said before I did the "short storke test" and it only failed to lock back on one type of ammo.  So I hypothesized that the Xpower Spring in conjunction with the H buffer were simply slowing down the unlocking time too much, thereby wasting some of the force to move the carrier back all the way and thus causing the failing to strip fresh round (don't know the name for this type of malfunction) malfunction?

Does this sound reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I took out the Xtra Power spring, h buffer and O-ring adn replaced them with stock components. Fired 50+rounds with no malfunctions with 4 types of ammo.  Put O ring in only and out of 30 rounds had 3 malfunctions: both were failure to feed 2 with Black Hills and 1 with Q3131.'

Took O ring out adn proceeded to fire 84 more rounds of all types (but only four of BH because that was all I had left) with zero malfunctions.

This was all done with a clean lubed rifle.

In the end, were the malfunctions due to overfunctioning caused by the "enhancements" that delayed locking time and over gripping from the extractor?

Just a note:  When I cleaned the rifle before the shoot, I noticed what I would consider to be an excessive amount of brass under the extractor when I removed it from the bolt (I had the O ring in it all previous shoots).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, the spring is standard CMT with blue insert.  Parts were added just cause...they are supposed to make it "more" reliable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup.  But hey, it was built exactly how he wanted.  He wanted every component in there.

So because the extractor was working too hard, it was in essence absorbing/using too mcuh of the force needed to reciprocate the bolt?  Then the X spring and H buffer nly amplified the problem?

Why would it have a FTF, where the round is jammed up the feedramp instead of the previuos short stroking malfunction?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Understood, but why would that result in a round being stripped off of the mag and jammed half way up the feedramps on the forward stroke?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top