Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2014 2:27:38 PM EDT
I have a DPMS .308, it started out as an Oracle. After some money being spent it will wear a 16in Rainier Arms Select barrel. This barrel is guaranteed to shoot 1moa. I can handle that kind of accuracy. I am no sniper but i would like to engage a pie plate at 500 or so yards every now and then.

I would like some decent glass for it and really love the looks and features of the Vortex Viper 4-14 x 44.  

Is this too much scope for my gun? Am i over thinking the capabilities of this rifle? Do you have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No it's not too much but I would suggest the Viper HS-T 4-16x44 MRAD.

I pie plate at 500 should be doable even with a 10X scope so your'e on the right track.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I pie plate at 500 should be doable even with a 10X scope so your'e on the right track.
View Quote

I'm just worried the gun isn't enough for the scope.

ETD, Also why MRAD, why not just BDC?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You will have no problem using that combo to its potential.

I don't BDC reticles because they are only accurate with one load at one atmospheric condition. With a mil based reticle you have a lot more versatility and a matching reticle.

Here is more on that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I would opt for the Vortex PST line of scopes.

You should be able to hit pie plate at 500 easily with even a 10x scope.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like them but they will max out my budget. With what i have saved up i can get the other scope and a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like them but they will max out my budget. With what i have saved up i can get the other scope and a Larue mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stoopid budgets!

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic of the HS-T on my savage 22. Its a pretty compact scope for a 4x-16x.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
imo 14X is borderline not enough scope

ETA but it all depends on what you are shooting at.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed, 6-24x50 would be better. Heck that's what I use on anything over 100yards
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends on what you're shooting at and how good your eyes are.  I have a 3-9x on a 17 HMR and I often feel the gun is under scoped because I use it to shoot at tiny, often partially exposed, critters out to 200 yards.

I have a 20x on a .223 AR.  It's for shooting tiny critters at longer ranges than the rimfire.

With a minimum magnification of 4x, you're not going to be over scoped.  You can always dial it down if 14x or 16x is too much.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll do well with that scope on your 308.

I plan on using one of the 6-24 PSTs on the M&P10 I hope to get this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
My leupold 6-18x is my favorite scope, but I mainly use it for paper, its nice being able to see your groups as you shoot them at 100-200 yards. Dialing it down to 6x when I'm just plinking around.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
that there is a beautiful setup
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#15]
My main concerb was the 16 inch barrel. I know on the 556 you need a longerish barrel to get the velocity for extended range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
That scope is pushing enough imo for 500 yards, but I always go for the most magnification without adding too much weight.

ETA: Well you said pie plate which is pretty small imo at 500 so I would go with some more magnification, and bullet selection/data at distance plays a bigger role than your 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#18]
i shoot at 400 and 500 with a fixed 10x.  that scope would be fine.  i agree with the 4-16x mrad ffp though.  i'd like to get one once funds allow.  my eyes are getting older and 10x wont cut it for too much longer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

i shoot at 400 and 500 with a fixed 10x.  that scope would be fine.  i agree with the 4-16x mrad ffp though.  i'd like to get one once funds allow.  my eyes are getting older and 10x wont cut it for too much longer.
View Quote
Are you shooting pie plates at 500 on 10x, cause if you are then damn thats good.

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a PST 4x16 on my 20" 308.

I went with something with a lower magnification due to it being a hunting rifle, but at 16x, I find it decent to get out to 1k yards.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/tmp_20140201_130250-890680753_zpsbddb5439.jpg
View Quote

A proven deadly set up judging by the dead elk and deer ive seen in your other threads.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you shooting pie plates at 500 on 10x, cause if you are then damn thats good.  

Just wondering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wondering.

I shoot 1 MOA targets at 500 with a 10x scope. A pie plate would be even bigger so 10x would be no issue.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, I put the PST 6-24 FFP on my DPMS LR-308 and love it.  I like the higher magnification.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I shoot 1 MOA targets at 500 with a 10x scope. A pie plate would be even bigger so 10x would be no issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

You don't count, haha just messing.

Seriously some of you guys are great shots, but I would still prefer more magnification.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seriously some of you guys are great shots, but I would still prefer more magnification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wondering.

I spent all last summer shooting my .308 with a fixed 10x  I was able to hit steel out to 1000yards (12"x12" plate)  I'm glad I have a 20x now though.  It can be hard to see the plates with a 10x once the nice white paint wears off.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I spent all last summer shooting my .308 with a fixed 10x  I was able to hit steel out to 1000yards (12"x12" plate)  I'm glad I have a 20x now though.  It can be hard to see the plates with a 10x once the nice white paint wears off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Yea a lot of trigger time will impove your skills greatly, but sadly I dont get enough.

I was still able to hit a pie plate at 600 yards on 20x 3-5 times with a .338.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]

There is no rule that says you have to have just one scope for a given rifle.
If you need a lighter gun then add another mount with a lighter scope.
My main AR can use a TRS-1 or the Bushnell Elite 10x depending on what I need that day.  Both scopes are on QD mounts.
Sometimes I need to make minor adjustments but most of the time it's mount the scope and go shooting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. 16x on the high end is not too much if you are attempting moa at 500.  I have a target bolt gun in 6mm Rem. and am using a Burris made Pentax Lightseeker 30 6-24x50mm at extended range and do not think it too much.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is no rule that says you have to have just one scope for a given rifle.
If you need a lighter gun then add another mount with a lighter scope.
My main AR can use a TRS-1 or the Bushnell Elite 10x depending on what I need that day.  Both scopes are on QD mounts.
Sometimes I need to make minor adjustments but most of the time it's mount the scope and go shooting.
View Quote

I plan on getting a Larue mount for it and alternating between my Aimpoint PRO and this high power scope.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]
The main issue that i'm going to be running into is finding a place local to shoot 500 yrds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm fucked im gonna need more glass than 16x. I shot today using my 12x Diamondback and i feel like im gonna need much more glass and a way better trigger.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm fucked im gonna need more glass than 16x. I shot today using my 12x Diamondback and i feel like im gonna need much more glass and a way better trigger.
View Quote

That's not very good glass, frankly, for you to base a judgment on.

Trigger is a separate issue.  It will depend on your range of uses.  From what you seem to say, take a look at the Geisselle SSA-E.  I cut the size of my groups considerably,  almost in half when I installed it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Distance, and I had a feeling you would feel this way.

I'd go up to 20x or more.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#33]
There is no such thing as "Too Much Scope" - practically speaking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Trigger is a separate issue.  It will depend on your range of uses.  From what you seem to say, take a look at the Geisselle SSA-E.  I cut the size of my groups considerably,  almost in half when I installed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never owned any nice glass. I thought the Vortex diamondback i owned now was a good piece. It works, works well for all i've ever used it for. I was looking for more of a general purpose rifle. I'm not looking to have some super long range gun. Just a really accurate inside of 500 yards.

I need to work out the cycling issues im having at the moment before i get too far into the glass issue.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I've shot out to a 1000 yards using 10x scopes regularly.  Your scope choice is sound in my opinion.  Lots if my friends own the scope your looking at.  I've never used it but they like it/swear by it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Spend as much as you can on glass, you really can't compare a cheap 12x scope to a 12x scope that has better quality glass and is all around built better. for example when I went to the range a couple weeks ago a guy a few stalls down was shooting an ar30 and on top was a S&B PM2. with his scope set at 16x I looked through my SWFA SS  (16x) and I couldn't believe the difference in clarity, made me a little envious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#37]
To quote my gunsmith:  "you can't hit what you can't see!!"
Buy the best glass you can afford, you will not regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top