Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2003 7:22:21 AM EDT
So, what are the pluses and minuses of a Chrome lined or a stainless steel barrel? Which would you prefer for a varmint rig?

Then what is a Wylde Chamber? I've heard a lot of "explanations" but many are conflicting... Is it true that you shouldn't put 5.56mm through a .223? Are 5.56mm and Wylde chambers mutually exclusive?

What are the pluses and minuses of a 24" vs. a 20" barrel?

How much of a difference does a muzzle break make on a .223/5.56mm? (I like it on my 300wby!)

What's a good "all around twist rate" for someone who would tend towards heavier slugs? But most often shoot whatever is cheapest.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:24:24 AM EDT
I don't know a lot about AR's (yet), but I do know this from what I;ve seen. For varmint rigs, you definitely want an un-linet barrel. There is no way to chrome the barrel ID's with a consistent thickness which hurts accuracy. Seems that if you're plan is to shoot a bunch, go chrome. If you wnat to shoot at small furry things with a pulse...no chrome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:44:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2003 10:46:35 AM EDT by JTinIN]
For full auto or tatical use (i.e. Police patrol carbine) would go with chrome due to extended wear on full auto and/or resistance to rust under poor conditions. For a really nice match or precission rifle go with one of the couple high end barrel manfactures and what ever barrel they work best with (stainless for this type application is reasonable, however, non-stainless is also a good choice since will tend to clean each time). The 24" gives a little more velocity, however, IMO if you need the extra velocity for varmint type applicaitons it would be best to go to a 22-250 in a bolt gun. Muzzle break helps a lot in full auto (keeps the muzzle from rising), a little on fast 3 gun or tatical shooting. IMO do think it is needed on your 20" heavy barrel target / varmint gun. A good "all around twist rate" for barrel twist is 1 in 9, however, you may have to pass on some of the very heavy (75 grain ?) loadings. After saying that, in my half dozen uppers do not have any with 1 in 9, all are 1 in 7 or 1 in 12 for either heavy or M193 ammo.
Top Top