Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:56:04 PM EDT
I have an 20" A2 modified to service rifle specs. The former owner used it for competitions. I really like the bone stock feel of the gun, but seeing all the decked out AR's on here makes me wonder if I should add some extras to it, such as a rail system, a new stock, flash hider, etc.
Do these aftermarket parts increase the functionality of the rifle enough to really justify the purchase, or are they just fluff?
I'm in college, and I don't have enough cash for a new AR at the moment. I can afford a few hundred in extras, though. Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Few hundred bucks?

Mags and ammo.........I tend to follow the KISS train of thought....for ME, a $200 rail system is just a way to spend $180 too much on a set of handgaurds.....but that's just me....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with a free-float system, not necessarily a rail system. If you like the rail and want it, definately get a free-float rail.

The free float is what I would consider as one of the  most important performance enhancing upgrades available. It allows the natural whip of the barrel to take place un-inhibited and in almost every case improves the accuracy of the firearm over a range of ammunition.

Just don't mount your sling to the barrel mount on the front sight housing mount. It kind of defeats the purpose of the free float. I cut my sling mount off and filed off the tabs flush with the bottom of the front sight housing.

After free float, I would consider optical sights as the next upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You can improve function a lot with a good trigger and a FF tube. Unless you really need a VFG, flashlight, laser etc., the rail forends are just expensive fluff IMHO . A good optic is also a great accuracy multiplier. An adjustabel M4 stock is good enough, and an improvement over the A2.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The 15 minute trigger job is a free upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
To me, to modify or not depends on what you are going to use your AR-15 for.  For me, I know that I have my AR-15 for HD and SHTF scenarios so I looked at the accessories that would aid in these situations like weapon lights and red dot sights.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top