Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 11:52:51 AM EDT
I'm assembling a AR lower on what is supposed to be a mil spec lower. When I went to install the bolt catch and the retainer (non standard, it uses a pin with a retaining screw), the bolt catch doesn't pivit. It's because the slot for the bolt catch isn't large enough on the bottom to allow it to pivot. Well anyway, I now am unable to remove the pin to allow me to remove the bolt catch. I tried to drill the bolt catch thinking that I could split the bolt catch and then remove the pin. You know where I'm going with this one. I can not even make a dent in the hardened catch.  How can I persued this catch to allow me to split it open? By the way, the lower is not forged or cast. It's a milled from billet alum.  Thanx for the HELP!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen one as you describe.

Best to put down and walk away until some of the more knowledgeable read your post.

Regards, and a bump...

MM419
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep it's a Diamond. No go on relieving the tension on the pin. It's tight. The only option I seem to have is to sacrifice the bolt catch, which I have no reservation about. Anyone ever try to drill into the hardened steel?  This is tuff stuff, and I'm using Snap-on bits. The bits just roll off the surface.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If your are dead set on destroying the bolt retaining catch, see if you can use a Dremel tool with a small cutting blade to cut the pin throught the middle of the catch (split the catch. You might even be able to cut enough off the part of the catch that is binding so that once it is gone, the freedom of movement will return and allow for disassembly.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I assume you got this directly from SOCOM -- just call them and ask, they'll be glad to chat with you about what they recommend, and they probably know.

-Dan
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting how this has all worked out. It turns out that SOCOM, who has manufactured the receiver for many other companies, had manufactured a batch that did not meet mil spec. Unknowingly they sold some to Diamond. Then SOCOM found the manufcaturing mistake. They informed Diamond and Diamond was told to destroy the receivers. Guess what.  Diamond did not and sold the receivers to unknowing distributors, some of whom are selling them on Gunbroker.com. It is not the fault of the unknowing sellers. It's Diamonds greed!  I'd never do business with Diamond. My guy on Gunbroker is making it right. Otherwise the receiver is great.  Built like a MAC TRUCK! Thank you everyone for the advice!!!  Buyer beware! and be careful, this diamond was in the rough...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I spoke with SOCOM directly at socommfg.com. They told me that the "Diamond" series was sold to another company to resell. Well anyway mine is on the way back for replacement. What a lession learned I had...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top