Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 2:42:06 AM EDT
I am interested in getting my first 9mm AR and I can't decide weather I should build or buy.  I have build several ar's before. It looks like the price difference is not very much. I am looking for a 16" CAR - not suppressed but would like to eventually go SBR. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Might be better off buying if you are going with a Colt/RRA setup. If you get the Olympic version, just buy the complete upper, as it is easier to swap on a lower. The Colt/RRA setups run on a dedicated lower with a magwell block. The Oly version still uses a magwell block, but all versions of the block remove very quickly, so the upper can be swapped back to 5.56, etc.

There are different views on which version is better. I had the Oly version, bought a complete upper from Atlantic Firearms in the Industry section, and it ran very well. I used the Kurts Kustom Firearms magwell block, Sten mags, and WWB ammo without ever having a FTF, FTE, etc.

ymmv
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I really like the RRA configuration. That is the route I am looking at.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
What version upper works with the VM Hy-Tech magwell?  I like the idea of having the separate mag release on the left and not having to modify mags.

Also, anyone have experience with the VM side cocking upper?  It kind of makes sense having the cocking handle on the same side as the mag release making reloads quickers than having to transition to the rear of the upper to chamber the round.

Rant:  What's so difficult about arranging for a bolt holdopen with all the different magwell adapters?

Randall
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top