Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/14/2002 11:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2002 11:40:02 AM EDT by mcaswell]
I think I'm nearing the end of my quest to decide on what 16" rifle to buy or build, but I'm wondering about the muzzle brake. It seems that more come with the brake than without, and I really like the look. However, I've read some posts that seem to indicate that the noise level to the shooter is much higher with a brake, and also that it can be rather annoying to adjacent shooters at the range. I've never shot a .223 (actually, I've only shot a .22lr and a Kel-Tec Sub Rifle .40), so I don't know how much recoil to expect from an AR-15.

Bottom line... should I get a brake, or not? If I end up buying or building a rifle with one, will I regret it? Particularly, if I ever need to fire the gun without ear protection, will I blow out my eardrums?

Thanks!

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:06:55 PM EDT
get the brake. it's not so much about
recoil as muzzle jump. After I put a brake on
I can retain sight picture for followup shots.
As far as others on the range ... their larger
caliber rifles are gonna make a lot more noise
than your AR will, brake or not.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:51:46 PM EDT
i reccomend the cav comp from Cavalry Arms.

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:41:54 PM EDT
I've been really happy with the CAV Comp and the Wilson. Both are a reasonable facsimile of an A2 flash hider, and niether is overly loud-in my opinion.

I'm not big on the brakes that don't resemble a flash hider. Don't get me wrong, they work great, and I don't really care about the noise. My issue is they don't look right-just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:57:12 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with the 14.5" barrel and Bushmaster AK-type brake? How loud and what is the muzzle flash like?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:00:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By meltdown:
get the brake. it's not so much about
recoil as muzzle jump.

Oops, I use the wrong terminology... I meant muzzle flip, not recoil. But I appreciate your advice, and will probably get a rifle with a brake.

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:37:45 PM EDT
Allow me to throw the turd in the punch bowl.

First of all, anyone who complains about muzzle flip with a .223/5.56 should be wearing dresses & live in San Fransico, IMO. Any decent sling hold will easily hold the muzzle virtually still. Just ask any Marine to show you how. >gg<

Yes, you are correct in that the brake will make sound louder for the shooter. Most shooters do however, wear ear protection when they shoot so that may/should be a moot point.

My Colt 6601 has no brake & I've honestly not found a single reason to have one put on.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:53:47 PM EDT
I have to go with Bob on this one.

The 223 has little/no muzzle climb nor recoil. The only movement on the rifle is due to the carrier/bolt movement when fired.

As for shooting an Ar-15 without hearing protection, the rifle is too load for comfort, braked or not. But, not so loud that a simple pair of ear plugs will not do the trick.

The real reason that you see brakes on the rifles are looks and muzzle protection, with the latter being the more important idea. Since as stated, no recoil-only movement, the last thing you want to do is direct more gasses(noise) back at your self. If you do feel the need for something on the end for looks, a fake FS would be the best idea yet. Kurt sells them and could be installed on a Plan barrel if needed at a later date.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:11:15 PM EDT
Yeah, I've used the AK muzzle brake. One of the officers I work with at the range owns a Bushmaster with the AK. It cuts the recoil down to almost nil (what recoil there is to begin with). My own Bushmaster has a Y-comp muzzle brake on it. It doesn't dampen the recoil as much as the AK brake, and makes my AR sound as loud as my buddy's .308
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 2:18:30 PM EDT
mcaswell,a little while back I took my mini-14 to the range.This guy next to me was shooting an AK braked Bushy.He also let me shoot it.Let me tell you,my mini-14 with the naked barrel was louder than the AK braked Bushy.I feel this is due to the fact that the mini-14(garand type open top receiver) produces more blast bake to the shooter than an AR because the AR receiver is closed except for the ejection port. Those are my personal observations (for what it's worth)hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:02:09 PM EDT
I vote for no brake or a fake one.

I like to bump fire and sometimes a brake hinders it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:12:34 PM EDT
Thanks for all the insightful responses. Just to clarify, I don't have any plans to shoot the rifle without hearing protection (heck, I don't even like to shoot my .22 pistol without protection!)... I'm thinking more in terms of an emergency situation where I have no choice.

If both with brake and without brake are unbearably loud (in other words, significant hearing damage will result), then I guess I doesn't matter that much. But if shooting bare-ears with a brake means pulverized eardrums, but shooting without a brake means just a temporary ringing... well, you get the picture.

Also, something I've always wondered about... how do guys in the military handle this? Not necessarily practicing at the range, but in actual war conditions... do they wear some sort of hearing protection?

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:10:33 AM EDT
boomvang, I have a Bushy with the 14.5 barrel and the AK brake and I like it a lot. Rise is pretty much nil. Some people complain the AK brake also increases noise but I haven't noticed that.

I'm happier with the Shorty AK than I was with their M4gery.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:03:47 AM EDT
I have a bushmaster with the AK brake, I love it, it isnt that loud and it is extremely effective in reducing recoil, muzzle rise, etc. Recoil is not a problem with the .223 anyway, But that just means the brake makes it almost non existant.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:23:33 AM EDT
I have been wondering about this also, since I just bought a Bushie A3 with a plain muzzle. My concern is will a muzzle brake affect accuracy at all?

Anything that reduces muzzle climb 90% and felt recoil 70% (as the Bushie catalog claims the AK74 style brake does) is work installing in my opinion. But what about accuracy?

And no, Bob, I do not live in SF or wear a dress
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:34:00 AM EDT
Well slap my ass and call me Suzie.

Sorry Bob but the price is wrong; dead wrong on the muzzle brake.

The AR-15/M-16 has very little recoil, but any recoil at all slows you down. For tactical/CQB matches, the muzzle brakes rule. With red-dot optics, the dot doesn't even move. For plinking at the range, the muzzle brake is just another gadget, but when your really making an AR TALK, it's a needed accessory.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:31:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomvang:
Anyone have experience with the 14.5" barrel and Bushmaster AK-type brake? How loud and what is the muzzle flash like?

Only for 3 years and 7K rounds.....

Loud? Not noticable for the shooter - but the guys shooting on either side will sure complain (but its not nearly as bad as the mini-Y comp).

Muzzle flash is broken up into 3 'groups' but it isn't dimished (if it was it wouldn't be legal). I usually got a small corkscrew (with low flash ammo) or a small grapefruit sized ball - with smaller balls on either side of the brake. Generally the sight picture was kept clear (which is MUCH better than a bare muzzle).

When compared side-by-side with a 16" bare muzzle firing the same ammo (from the same box). The AK braked rifle had the clearer sight picture.

I just sent my barrel down to Kurt's Kustom (see him in the Industry section) to get his A3 Tac Brake installed. It looks like an elongated flash suppressor, but is really a muzzle brake. Its design is not as noisy to the neighboring shooters.

BTW the 14.5"/AK braked barrels measure out at 17" (mine did) by swapping to the A3 Tac Brake my rifle barrel is just over 16" now (min legal length).
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2002 5:31:10 PM EDT by scoop]
Rabbit9,

My sentiments exactly!

Maybe the folks who can't stand the noise of a Mini-y should be wearing the dresses in San Fran.
Top Top