Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:33:18 AM EDT
I recently picked up an entry level AR in a DPMS Oracle in 5.56. I'm looking to add my own personal flavor to it. I have everything I want picked out, except for a buttstock. My rifle came with the DPMS Pardus stock. There are no issues with it that I can report, but I also kinda like the look of the Magpul MOE stock.

My question is, are there any significant advantages of the MOE over the Pardus? Is it just for looks? I already know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I can't help myself. I already know about the CTR, but this is a budget rifle.

Also, if any of you guys would so kindly post pics of your MOE stock, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Also, I think my buffer tube is the commercial size. Am I right?
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I found the Pardus weighs 0.785 lbs and the MOE weighs 0.5 lbs...So besides looks it's probably mostly weight.

I won't comment on the durability of each since I have no experience with the Pardus.  

Here are a couple rifles with a CTR which is basically the same thing looks wise:

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The MOE stock should be lighter and likely more comfortable due to the rubber end pad.  I believe the Pardus is just a plastic sawtoothed end.  I'd also trust the strength of Magpul's polymer more than anything by DPMS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
My Pardus feels fine, and I like DPMS. I also added a rubber buttpad to it. I still like the looks of the Magpul quite a bit though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks stickman, that second pic is really doin it for me. I'm also possibly looking into the MOE grip. They look nice on there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The MOE grip is very nice––as well as the MOE stock which has far less rattle than a normal m4 stock.

Moe on the left CTR on the right.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Magpul stuff means HamLund Tactical to me.  I have ordered there a couple of times now, and they are fast and inexpensive.  Best prices I have seen on Magpul stuff (like MOE grip for $14, CTR stock for $80, etc.).  I called because I didn't remember to order something I needed on my last order, and they fixed me right up - excellent service.  Free shipping if over $150 too (and only like $7 if under $150).

http://www.hamlundtactical.com

As for the MOE stock, I only have CTRs.  I like the friction lock on the front - totally locks them up with no wiggle/rattle at all on ANY extension I have tried.  The MOE grips I have are okay - they grip great and feel good, but I prefer the MIAD's finger bump front strap, and 3 out of 4 of my MOEs wouldn't accept the MIAD cores without cutting on them because the latch notch was about 1mm too deep in the grip.  So, I would just get a MIAD grip if it were me cutomizing my rifle - there's not that much price difference at HamLund, and you get better quality and the ability to make ther grip fit your hand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw that MOE + grip night before last actually. I like the standard AR pistol grip also. The MOE + looks like its pretty close to the standard AR grip. If I get one, I think that's what I'll buy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If you’re going to get a MOE stock and pistol grip you might as well get the trigger guard too! Seriously, I have the MOE pistol grip and trigger guard on most of my rifles. I like this combination.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I like MOE...I have several sets / pieces.  It's quality stuff and works for me personally.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're going to buy MOE, you might as well buy the PSA MOE LPK for $52.99.  

Otherwise the MOE pistolgrip is about $20, and the trigger guard is about $10.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Another MOE guy.... (S&W lower with PSA 14.5 4150, not a factory S&W).  Forgot to use a PMAG though

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
MOE grip, stock and trigger-guard in Foliage, handguard in black (until the rail comes in), and home camo job Pmag (rit dye).

More accurate color representation.

and my wife's setup, dark earth dyed purple...

with a closeup of the stock...

Hers is a commercial version. Fit MIUCH better than the RRA stock.

Robert
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Spike's Tactical Upper and Lower, Magpul MOE Stock, MOE Handguard, RVG (Railed Vertical Foregrip), MBUS Rear Sight, and Enhanced Trigger Guard.  I went with a Hogue grip over the Magpul b/c I just find it to be incredibly comfortable.  I highly recommend you check it out!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x365/JPG19/IMG_0867.jpg
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
CTR is much better. I prefer MOE pistol grip to MIAD.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the MOE adjustable stock and hand guard on my AR and really like them. Magpul makes good stuff from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both MOE and CTR stocks and I prefer my CTR because it feels more solid with the buffer tube, also an option to use QD sling connection.

My MOE stock also have a snug fit on my BCM mil-spec size buffer tube and I would highly recommend using the BCM tube to get a better fit YMMV.

I'm using my MOE stock on my budget plinker AR and I didn't need the sling QD capability because I'm using an end plate mounted single point sling.

The MOE stock still have some advantages compared to standard M4 stocks, it fits better and have a better integrated mounting of three sizes of rubber buttpads standard thin, optional medium and thick.

Also if someone already have a MOE stock and wanted to have a QD mounted sling IWC have a new rotation limited sling mount for it and also could be used on standard M4 stocks.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#20]
There isn't any real advantage for most users, but I do really freaking hate that damn cheesy Pardus stock.  It looks like it was inspired by a bad sic-fi movie and nothing about it offers anything over a basic M4 stock.  At least the MOE has a good buttpad and a vertical slit for a sling.  

I would not touch a hair on that oracle.  Leave it as is, use the ever-loving heck out of it and decide what does and does not work for you and buy a gun that meets your needs at a later date.  Do not waste money on trying to update it beyond making it shootable, and that really means putting on a dot of some sort and buying mags (items that can be transferred to another gun).
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#21]
MOE stock, PG, trigger guard, & handguard in Olive Drab..

heres a pic of my PSA 16" HF Carbine with DPMS Lower w/Pardus Stock..

The Buffer Tube is Commercial on my DPMS.. they also used locktite on mine.. I ended up going with a KZ sling mount (guy on the EE is selling them cheap with a cheap but decent sling).. it goes OVER the castle nut and clamps down..

The downside is if you THINK you can match MagPul colors down the line with paint.. you may be in for a shock.. they use a proprietary mix for there colors..  I ended up just painting my MagPul stuff all to match whatever color floated my boat that week..

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]

I really like my MOE, it is a great stock on light carbines.  
The ACS is great on heavier ones in my opinion as it moves the balance point back towards the rear.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the MOE pistol grips. I am very interested in the new one they just released though...
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're going to buy MOE, you might as well buy the PSA MOE LPK for $52.99.  

Otherwise the MOE pistolgrip is about $20, and the trigger guard is about $10.

This right here.  I, for whatever reason LOVE the feel of the MOE grip - more than the MIAD, plus I don't have to put all the little panels into a MOE like you do with the MIAD.  The MOE grip just goes on the receiver as is.

And what I really like about PSA's LPKs is they offer a MOE LPK without a FCG - so I'm not buying a trigger/hammer/disconnector I'm not going to use.  I put a Geissele trigger of some sort into all my AR's, usually a SSA.

But yeah, love the MOE grip.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a Pardus stock on a rifle I bought locally and didn't care for it. The curved butt does nothing for me. I much prefer a std M4 Gen2 stock or MOE. The VLTOR for only $50 from BCM is nice too.

You asked for pics...

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top