Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/25/2004 7:04:17 AM EST
Are titanium firing pins worth the $20+?

I looked at Bushmaster's schematic for the AR15 and it doesn't appear to use a spring to hold the firing pin from contacting the primer on a chambered cartridge... Would this cause out of battery firing or accidental discharges?

What's the solution?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:12:01 AM EST
The "solution" is to stay with the firing pin that came with the rifle to start with. The titanium pieces are not only a waste of money, they're actually a downgrade from the stock FP; because they have this distressing habit of breaking.

No AR/M16 firing pin ever made has a retaining spring, and yes, they all tap the primer slightly during chambering the round.

Doesn't mean a thing
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:16:33 AM EST
The Ti firing pins are more on the order of $35 or so. Do not buy one. In fact, if you buy one you really need to buy two in that if you pierce a primer with it it will trash the pin the very first time.

Use what has been on the rifle for close to 45-50 years now. Make sure if you reload you seat your primers flush or just below flush.

You will also not find a spring on the firing pin on the M1 and M14.

Save your money.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:19:37 AM EST
Thanks everyone!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:57:01 AM EST
The titanium firing pin won't increase accuracy or speed up lock time, but it does provide an extra margin of safety. The military uses harder , less sensitive primers than most that civilian reloaders use. The AR-15 won't allow the firing pin to move forward until the bolt is locked up, but it will tap the primer when it closes. I choose to use a titanium firing pin to reduce the chance of a slamfire, and haven't had one in >15,000 rounds using the same firing pin. I do my load development beginning at a charge low in the recommended range (from an authoritative source) and work up, stopping before pressure signs are severe. A full-blow pierce will erode a titanium firing pin (and will erode a steel pin at a slower rate), but minor leakage won't hurt it. A titanium firing pin is not a necessity, but does have its uses.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:52:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By shamayim:
No AR/M16 firing pin ever made has a retaining spring,

VERY minor nitpick about an otherwise accurate post:
Original AR15 prototypes had a retaining spring. It was removed when they found it to be a waste of money.
Top Top