Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2006 1:51:19 PM EDT
I have been trying a number of different mag brands in my Oly A2 and have noticed many fail to drop when the release is pressed. Most of the mags are US Gov issue so I am beginning to suspect a tolerance problem especially since I have run into issues with sloppy machining with Oly before. Any thought s on a fix? I was thinking of carefully taking a stone to the inside of the mag well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I talked with a representative from C-Products after I ran into the same problem with my Olympic and some their mags. The rep (I think his name was Larry) told me that although Oympic mag wells are in spec, they are on the tight side of being in spec. I was able to exchange the ones I had that were tight for mags that fit a little looser (one is still a little tight) without any problems.
So I think you are right about your diagnosis of what is causing your problem but I have no idea what to tell you to do about it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Have the same tight mag well problem with my Olympic. Bought some Defense Solutions Group mags and they drop free. Bought them at a PA gun show so i don't know who carries them but i'm sure if you put there name is your search engine, you will find some.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My Wilson Combat is tight like that too - I've found that the old Labelle mags tend to drop free most of the time out of it, and some of the new D&H and Okay mags do too.  What I did was try every mag I have in it, and then keep track of the ones that are loose enough to suit me.  The rest go in the Bushmaster whores that take anything pretty much!
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A tight mag well is not such a bad thing,
Just read back over the last few pages for guys that are having low feeds, and have to wedge a match book in between the mag and the back of the mag well to keep the mag from rocking/canting and feeding the tips of the bullets into the upper receiver below the mag well.

Granted I can see the bitch if you are three gunning and just dumping empty mags to the ground, but come on, most of you lose you minds if you get one scratch on the safe queen alone, much less your beguiling mags.

True.  I never let my mags hit the ground at the range even if they will drop free.  No point in damaging them unless someone is shooting back at my ass!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem is if you always put your empty mags in your pocket when you train, you'll do the same thing under stress.

Read up on the dead CA state troopers (Newhall shootout) who were found dead with empty .38 brass in their pockets. On the range they saved time by putting empty brass in their pockets. In the gunfight, they put the empty brass in their pockets.

Train like you'll fight, because you will fight like you train.

Back to the original topic. Oly lowers are known for being tight. My wife's AR will not accept magazines that my Fulton eats w/o issue. CProds took back 3 SS magazines that wouldn't work in her Oly upper. They will send you magazines that have been test fit in a Oly upper is you ask for them. BSW
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Add me to the list for a tight OLY magwell.  I found that the only mags that drop free are the OKAY's.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top