Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:53:40 PM EDT
Has anyone threaded their own AR bbls? I have a older post ban and I was thinking of threading the bbl for a flashhider/compensator and wanted to know how difficult it would be. I have built several rifles but have never given it a thought to thead my own bbl. Brownells has a die cutter in 28tpi for a ar15/m16 bbl. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Cazio
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
While one person here did it without a lathe, I'd highly recommend against it.  You need a lathe to turn the muzzle down to approx. 0.498" so that you can use that die to cut the threads.  Additionally, the die, by itself, is iffy.  You really need a bore guide to square up the die, otherwise you could cut nonconcentric threads and have a nonconcentric muzzle device, which, if extreme enough, can be hit by a bullet.  Probably not in the case of .223/5.56, but I've heard of M1As having this issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just took an armorers class.  The loaner rifle had the most hideous barrel threads I've ever seen.  They must have turned the diameter down on a lathe and the used a die to thread.  Lots of very rough metal!  I'd recommend against it also.  If you care about your rifle, do it right or not at all.

I do have a lathe and the knowledge and experience to turn the barrel and cut threads the RIGHT way if you want it done.  IM or email me if you want further info.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice guys and saving my rifle from its owner. My bbl is like the one in the picture, if you notice the end is smaller. Does that mean it won't have to be turned down? but only threaded by someone who knows what their doing. I'm having problems posting a picture, as soon as I remember how I'll get it up.

Cazio
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the advice guys and saving my rifle from its owner. My bbl is like the one in the picture, if you notice the end is smaller. Does that mean it won't have to be turned down? but only threaded by someone who knows what their doing. I'm having problems posting a picture, as soon as I remember how I'll get it up.

Cazio

Fixed pic links.

Have Randall do your barrel.  He has a business, I have a hobby.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Mongo, thanks for fixing the picture and advice. Mine is like the top bbl. Randall, I'll be in touch about getting it threaded.

Cazio
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top