Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2005 12:43:13 PM EDT
I bought a bottle of Blue Permatex and it seems pretty watered down.
Isn't thread locker supposed to be thick?

Which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Permatex is a brand name under Loctite, but that doesn't mean all that much.  I'd stick with anything labeled Loctite and pass on Permatex.  Blue Loctite is pretty thin, more like water than paste.  You need to shake it up prior to use, though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Loctite and Permatex are brand names... IIRC Permatex is like the civilian/non-commercial brand name of Loctite. Loctite supplies a lot of interesting chemicals and products, including a moly-dry film lube similar to the stuff used on AR mags.

Anyhow, Permatex threadlocker comes in a variety of flavors:

Blue: Medium Strength
Green / Yellow: No idea, probably medium strength
Red High Strength: Hardens to a plastic-like material, used in HD applications like ring gear bolts.
Red Permanent Strength: I never used it, but I hear it's for stuff you don't want to ever remove... probably NOT recommended for ring gear bolts or anything HD but can still require servicing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The Permatex I got at NAPA has the same numbers in the p/n as the Loctite I got at work. Coincidence?

I'll stick with loctite, but wouldn't turn my nose up at permatex if I needed it.

Q. What's loctite good for?
A. Nothing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Michigan is in the House!

Thanks fellas.
Yeap, I used the blue permatex on some Aimpoint scope rings and BUISs.
It started bleeding out and leaving a greasy mess. I think i got a bad bottle as well.
I cut the tip off, shok it and shook it and couldn't get anything out of the bottle. I removed the top
and out pops this blue rubbery "Cone"-Solidified Permatex much like coagulated blood from a bloody nose.

I don't like this tuff very much. I think I'm going to go try some other places for some "in-spec"  Loctite.

So red is the better option  for rings, bolts and nuts on weapons mounts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The permatex stuff works fine. I just used it today to keep a cheap red dot mount solid. It worked like a charm. Put it on right before I started shooting and didn't loosen up at all. Had to take the mount off with vise grips. It's not supposed to be thick.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So red is the better option  for rings, bolts and nuts on weapons mounts?

Only if you never want to remove them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
oops
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
They both work OK. Make sure you choose the right strenght for the right job!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
red=permanant (heatgun to remove)
blue= removable
green=thread penetrant (in between red and blue)
purple=I forgotheseif you put red on by accident you can get it off with some effort using a heat gun, but if you do it on aluminum you will usually ruin it trying.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are ridiculous with your Loctite colors, although I do know that Loctite does sell their thread locker in "Red" and "Blue".  Neither are permanent.  Blue comes off pretty easy without heat.  Red comes off easily with heat.  If you want permanent, step up to "green", the sleeve retaining Loctite.  That'll hold just about anything and takes an extreme amount of heat to soften up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
loctite 271 (red) aka soisitdon't move.

it susposed to be thin so it stays inbetween the threads. they do make a paste stick, but i never used it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You guys are ridiculous with your Loctite colors, although I do know that Loctite does sell their thread locker in "Red" and "Blue".  Neither are permanent.  Blue comes off pretty easy without heat.  Red comes off easily with heat.  If you want permanent, step up to "green", the sleeve retaining Loctite.  That'll hold just about anything and takes an extreme amount of heat to soften up.

Mongo knows his shit!

Loctite (now Henkel Loctite) used to own Permatex.  Back in the old days (napa) the numbers were the same, now they are not.  Basic ingredients are the same, but Loctite has had some revisions to their recipie.  It all has a shelf life as well.  

RED 277  for 1" or larger fasteners, requires heat to remove
RED 272  for 1" or smaller fasteners, requires heat to remove
BLUE 242 for all size fasteners, will remove with the same amount of tourqe as applied with
GREEN 262 retaining compound, fills gaps .015 and smaller, will creep up into threads for a very secure fit.  Mostly used for bearing seats and such.  Very high compression strength.

Blue is the "do all"  of all Loctites.  It will handle the same compression as the red, just removable, used for retaining compounds also and pipe sealant.

Ever wonder why the bottles are only half full?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Shake the bottle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mongo knows his shit!

Loctite (now Henkel Loctite) used to own Permatex.  Back in the old days (napa) the numbers were the same, now they are not.  Basic ingredients are the same, but Loctite has had some revisions to their recipie.  It all has a shelf life as well.  

BLUE 242 for all size fasteners, will remove with the same amount of tourqe as applied with
GREEN 262 retaining compound, fills gaps .015 and smaller, will creep up into threads for a very secure fit.  Mostly used for bearing seats and such.  Very high compression strength.

Blue is the "do all"  of all Loctites.  It will handle the same compression as the red, just removable, used for retaining compounds also and pipe sealant.

There's also 222, which would be know as "purple" to most of you.  We use this at work for very small fasteners and setscrews.  It comes loose fairly easily also without heat, but sometimes heat is needed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mongo knows his shit!

Very informative.
the Loctite nonmaclature boggles the mind not unlike that of Colt AR and S&W handgun model numbers

M4Tuna-like you wouldn't believe. I:[yingyangtwins]"Shaked it like a Salt Shaker!"[/YingYang Twins]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thats funny had a friend who is a contracotr not able to remove his red locktited FSB with a propane torch on it for several minutes.  Ended up having to cut the thing off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#17]
They're the same thing, only different.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]
When I talked to the sales person at  Applied Industrial Technologies, he said LOCTITE and Permatex were 1 in the same,  you just pay more for the LOCTITE brand name.

I have a bottle of LOCTITE  RC/609 retaining compound-general purpose-cylindrical part binding.... this stuff is a green-blue color, and is fun to use on fasteners.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Shake the bottle.

No, it's because the liquid solidifies in the absence of air.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
When I talked to the sales person at  Applied Industrial Technologies, he said LOCTITE and Permatex were 1 in the same,  you just pay more for the LOCTITE brand name.

Thats pretty funny, I know that company extremely well and would argue about that statement.  Loctite used to own Permatex, but sold them off.  There are no patents on the liquid forms of threadlocker so anyone (and alot of them do) make a "comprable" product.  Just remember this, the cheapest one is usually just that, cheap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats funny had a friend who is a contracotr not able to remove his red locktited FSB with a propane torch on it for several minutes.  Ended up having to cut the thing off.

"red" means very little.  Are you sure it was "red" and are you sure it was Loctite?  Additionally, propane doesn't get hot, relatively speaking.  There are forms of thread locker out there that will not release unless you use MAPP, or better yet, oxy/acetylene.  I'd say your friend cut off something he may not have had to, had he been properly equipped.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Permatex makes fine products. They have for years. Before and after Loc tite bought them out. Permatex is not cheap.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top