Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:09:18 AM EDT
Hey Gang.

I've got a stripped DPMS lower that I've just ordered a parts kit for.
I'm starting paperwork on building a SBR.
But.........before I get in too deep (submit my Form 1), I wanted your thoughts on the pros or cons of building on a DPMS receiver.

My intentions are to use their OEM parts and a 14.5" bbl upper.

I've entertained the idea of adding a suppressor later on.

Anyways, I've never taken on an SBR project and wanted some thoughts. This weapon would be for sport (my entertainment) and not for LE use if that matters.

Thanks,

cc
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not?  DPMS builds a in spec lower it will work fine.  I am going to build my SBR on a RRA lower because that is the last one in the safe I have not built up yet.  You should be fine.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Mac, for the reply.
I have made my mind up today to do this.
My Form 1 is complete and ready for CLEO.
I've requested ATF for FBI fingerprint cards.
Next week, I'm going to Walgreens for my passport photo's 2x.
I'm excited.

Odd thought, 40 views and only 1 reply. Is this the wrong forum?

cc
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you think building on a DPMS receiver would be any different than building on any other lower?

DPMS is a great brand and a few people here have spit on them because of a bad LPK or bolt carrier......

Listen DPMS makes MIL-SPEC parts that either meets mil-spec quality or exceeds it.
I use all DPMS parts in all of my builds because I expect quality, dont expect 100% quality
with DPMS or any other brand for that matter. All parts are made by the thousands if not hundreds
of thousands............millions if you really want a answer. People give them a bad name because
they got one of those few parts that had a flaw, too damn lazy to return it and get a new one.

I've seen more Bushies and Colt go back and forth to the factory because they dont run.

Keep DPMS in high regards, because they hold you in even higher standards.
Randy Luth will always help you out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the response, rogue. I am going to pursue this project. This will be my first DPMS rifle and I wanted some "been there, done that" input.

Take care,
cc

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been there, done that.  Mine is fine, although it's utterly useless now that I have since gone out and bought an M16.....Anyone in OR wanna buy an already built SBR?

Mine is all DPMS.  I already had the receiver.   It is 11.5" which is the minimum length for my HALO  (which I have already).  I was thinking about 14.5" but why pay $200 for 1.5"??  I also went out and bought a 7.5" upper for shits, fireballs and giggles.

Too many peeps on this board get caught up in brand names.  I swear, it's like the preppies in the early 80's who wouldn't wear a Polo shirt if it didn't have the little guy on the horse over your left tit so everybody would know what brand you're wearing.  DPMS is excellent.  Go for it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top