User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2011 9:11:44 AM EDT
Hi guys. New here.

I just wanted to get yall's thought on the quality of the Bushmaster M4A3. I bought one back on '06 when I got back from Iraq and it is not the good ole military Colt that I had there. Anyway, I know how to use one very well, I just dont know much about the different brands and quality "rankings". I know Rock River makes a good one. My boss has a nice one and we were hitting at 400 yards pretty easy. of course he has some very good optics.

Thanks for your input.

Ted
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster  would not be at the top of my list. Much better quality can be had for even less money. The Bushmaster BCG seems to be the most common failure and it is quality related. I owned a bushmaster that failed and ended up giving itI away. Spend your money with a company that at least offers a quality BCG.... It is the "heart" of your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome...

I own 2 bushmasters and have had no problems what so ever....3,500 rounds through one and 2,000 through the other. So I would say the reliability is pretty damn good, in my book. Now for quality....I would rate it at around 5, on a scale of 1-10. They just have so many great products out there now! When I hold & shoot a bushy...I think, this is O.K. But when I hold & shoot a Noveske, LMT, LaRue and others alike...I think, this is GREAT! The quality of these rifles are superb...Bushmaster cant offer the same. But, it doesn't take away from Bushmasters reliability.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
They ran the same as my Colt& LMTs

4150 barrels with good 5.56mm chambers

The only thing I might change is the bolt
For SD I happen to like Colt or LMT bolts

Never heard of any problems with SA carriers or unshrouded carriers
Just make sure the key is staked .

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I originally purchased a Bushmaster then quickly realized there was a problem when I had to run the rear sight all the way to the left to sight it in.
My gun shop sent it back to Bushmaster and they determined that the upper was not machined properly and had to be replaced. It took them 6 months to return the rifle without so much as an appoligy.
Luckily my gun shop agreed to refund the gun before it came back from Bushmaster so I ran out and purchased a Rock River Operator2 and couldn't be happier. It has been flawless.
Besides, in todays market, why would anyone purchase a rifle with only a one year warranty?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Not intended to hijack your topic but remember: a little than 10 years ago, Bushmaster was THE one that everyone wanted....

Things can change a lot !
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two Bushmasters.  One I made into a 14.5 and the other a 10.5.  They are excellent rifles, however, they are not the current flavor of Coach purse for most of the gear queers on this site.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have two Bushmasters.  One I made into a 14.5 and the other a 10.5.  They are excellent rifles, however, they are not the current flavor of Coach purse for most of the gear queers on this site.  

That's because much better and similarly affordable options are now available. Bushmaster used to be one of the best. They haven't updated or changed much of anything in over 5 years and others have come in with higher quality products at the same price point.

The reason to switch is pretty self-explanatory.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I own 2 Bushmasters. One with about 8K rounds through it, and one with 5K. Never any problems at all. I also have a spikes rifle and it runs great as well. I however dont like the rock river arms trigger assy I purchased.

I am not a big fan of this whole brand war thing. There are many brands that are worth buying, just take your time and purchase when you feel confident.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
There is better featured rifles for the same or less money now days but nothing wrong with a Bushy if you address some of it's weak points. If you get a good deal on one it's easy and inexpensive to bring it up to speed and can be made into a good rifle. Most are fine as is though. I've never had any problems. Had to address canted sight a couple times. Super simple fix though. Put a better BCG in if you really want to go the extra mile. JMO.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
BM is fine...make sure you are staked all around and run a good BCG...after the BM group goes TU...get a BCM or the like and rock on.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
While BM is not my favorites, they have always ran flawlessly for me. I have run them just as hard as my Noveskes,BCMs, Colts, etc... with nary a problem. They actually have been more accurate than many also, they have very good quality barrels (my BM were 1/9, I prefer 1/8 or 1/7 now). That said, I would not buy another due to the better QC and specs for the price. I never could break a BM rifle, so they are viable weapons (but I've yet to break my other ARs either).
I'd stake the gas key, install a Colt/FN bolt and stake the castle nut then shoot the hell out of that rifle. Bushmaster builds a lot of rifles and get most of them right- but now have fallen behind current offerings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not intended to hijack your topic but remember: a little than 10 years ago, Bushmaster was THE one that everyone wanted....

Yep. It used to be Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt. I would still buy an armalite or bushmaster for the right price but the industry has changed to the point that there is lots more competition out there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#13]
One thing to consider: Bushmaster uses a 1 in 9 barrel twist rate vice the 1 in 7 barrel twist rate used by most other manufacturers. Only you can decide if this is important to you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
You can also get Bushys in 1/7 twist.  What year was Bushmaster bought by Cerebus?  I seem to remember that was the beginning of the quality decline.  Cerebus has done the same thing with Marlin.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Have 2 Bushies and love them. I bought them back when the rule was ABCR - Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt and Rock River Arms. As others have stated, today there are many more rifles to choose from that are on par or better (depending on what "better" is).

Right now I see Bushies in the mid-$900 range. Honestly right at this moment, DSG and Cheaper than Dirt have Colt SP6920s for around $950; that same rifle under the LE line was at minium $1200 at the time I purchased my Bushy and went out of sight during the Obama scare. That is the rifle I'd recommend to buy right now b/c it is built as close to the M4 specs as possible, it is an excellant starter AR, and it will hold it's resell value.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

10 Years ago we had ABC Armalite Colt Bush.  Guess which one was the most affordable?

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Its a good rifle but if your gonna drop $850 to $1100 I think Bushmasters of that type average $900 to $950 think Spikes in the $850 range BCM and Colt on the higher end of $1000 to $1100.Spikes on the $850 end and then theres PSA they have thier M4 type for $600 $1000 if you get the rifle with the Aimpoint Pro package.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I've owned several over the past twenty years.  One had a canted front sight that I was able to make serviceable.  I still have my A1 and I have upgraded the bolt and RE on my A3.  They run just fine.  I think today they are a bit over priced.  They need MEAL like all the rest.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Bushy. Its my first gun purchase in over 10 years, and I jumped in a bit too quick. So far it has been a quality unit and I have no reason to regret the decision other than after the fact realizing I could have had similar or better quality for less money if I had done more research.

Mine shoots accurately and runs well. I don't think I'll ever sell it to be honest. But I will eventually up my game with something higher quality.

ben
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one of the newer M4A1's
It runs well no complaints from my end.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh not to hi-jack the thread. What is the deal with Windham weapons? They are the old Bushmaster? Who makes the new bushies?
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh not to hi-jack the thread. What is the deal with Windham weapons? They are the old Bushmaster? Who makes the new bushies?

Bushmaster moved the plant to Ilion, N.Y.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Interesting, I did not know about Windham Weapons.  Thank you.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/16/windham-weaponry-bushmaster-reborn/

Bushmaster was purchased by Cerberus, who also own DPMS, Remington and Marlin.  AKA:  Freedom Group

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I actually bought the Bushy M4A3 when I got back from Iraq. I bought it in '06. If I  can find a pic, I'll post it up. I have the rail system I used in Iraq for ir as well and the foregrip, both by Knights Armament.

I am looking to upgrade toward the first part of 2013. I am in sales and my boss told me he would give me his Rock River if I met my sales goals.

I'm gonna be a lumber selling machine in 2012! lol
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I've owned 2 14.5 BM's  since 2000 an a3 and an a2 and they both have about 8K rnds through them since then.
Never had a problem w either of em.
They were my first ar's one is now my wife's the other is my son's.
Mine is now a franken-ar.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because much better and similarly affordable options are now available. Bushmaster used to be one of the best. They haven't updated or changed much of anything in over 5 years and others have come in with higher quality products at the same price point.

The reason to switch is pretty self-explanatory.

I don't really care either way but I've run the hell out of my rifles and my bushmaster has run just as well as my RRA.  I see almost no difference...the bushmaster has a round count of about 7000 and the RRA has a round count of about 5000.  The only thing that I replaced as far as the operating system on the bushmaster is the trigger which was a little tight.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a Spikes and used to talk shit about BM.

Shot my buddies a month ago, ran mostly junk wolf through it..... not a hiccup.

Then I was looking for an C7/A1 carbine.....and found a great deal on a factory bushy. (same rifle as alfredb has)

I am going to do a torture test on mine when it gets here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I took a BM M4A3 uppr to Iraq in 2004 and changed my M16A2 to an M4. Mounted on my issue Colt lower, not a single issue in over 3000 rounds. Action is now extremely slick and smooth. Only issue I've ever had with BM is the finish on their guns. The anodizing they use leaves a rougher surface than most. If you run a red shop rag across a dry surface on a BM lower, it will leave red lint on the gun.

Bought a BM lower whne I got back and now I have basically the same gun I used in OIF sitting in my safe. Still shoot better than I do.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#30]
10k+ 223 and 3k+ 22lr (with Spikes conversion) and zero issues.

My GF has a Del-Ton and a budy a DPMS and honestly we can not tell the difference between the 3.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Buds has the c7 carbine for 680 otd.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Bushy is fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One thing to consider: Bushmaster uses a 1 in 9 barrel twist rate vice the 1 in 7 barrel twist rate used by most other manufacturers. Only you can decide if this is important to you.

Bushmaster makes 1/7 1/8 1/9 for several years now
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My bushmaster has run fine. Bushmaster gets bad mouthed by some people who had problems, by some people who have an agenda and by a lot of people who know nothing but what the first two groups tell them.

[
 [/div]

Amen to that!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My wife's Bushmaster has a 20" 1:7 twist with government profile.  Excellent gun, never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought a M4A3 post ban with Y-comp and pinned stock in Dec 2002. Replaced the barrel, added a flash hider, and collapsible stock after the ban expired.

Added a rail system and EO-Tech in 2006.

Just upgraded to a CTR stock and mil-spec buffer tube -made the rifle really tight.

Have shot 1000s of rounds in the last nine years including about 500 rounds in the last month - it likes all ammo including Herters and Tula - shot another 120 rounds today of Tula and Herters this afternoon.

Never have had an issue with it other than a few misfeeds.  Actually since the recent stock change no malfunctions in 620 rounds.  I use both PMAGs and USGI AL maps upgraded with Mapul followers.

I am happy.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
US NAVY Retired
Commander - Surface Warfare Officer
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Always been a firearm enthusiast since I can remember. Shot a friend's AR several years back and decided I needed one too. Went right to my nearest shop and bought one without knowing a single freaking thing about the weapon. It was a BM Superlite. I was incredibly excited to take it to the range and show it off only to come home disappointed that I had bought a crappy quality AR and that the pencil barrel sucked. I was pissed that I didn't do any research before I made my purchase.  Fast forward many years and many AR's later and my old BM is my favorite. Oh, and that terrible pencil barrel is now the cool one to have. Go figure. BTW, the only thing I have done mechanically to the rifle is to replace the BCG with a BCM and it has over 10k rounds down range without an issue and half of those rounds were steel cased crap. Very accurate barrel too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#38]
When I bought my 20" A3 9 years ago BUSHMASTER was the one everybody wanted - and mine has shot thousands of rounds without a hiccup.

Unless somethings drastically changed, I'd buy another one without reservations.

I've been thinking about a M4gery -
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Unless somethings drastically changed, I'd buy another one without reservations.

They have been purchased by Cerberus and no longer produce their weapons in the Windham facility.  I am not saying the current ones are bad.  They are an unknown factor for me at this point.  I have no experience with either the new Bushmasters or the WIndham Weaponry guns.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/16/windham-weaponry-bushmaster-reborn/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/robert-farago/ex-bushmaster-owner-starts-windham-weaponry/

http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-rifle-company-takes-over-Bushmaster-plant.html

My 2002/2003-ish Bushmaster has been perfect.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Bushmaster parts and guns have always served me well. I still have several. These pics make me want one with an Ilion lower.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I recently purchased a Bushmaster M4, it is my first AR-15, and so far I am really impressed. Only shot 500 rounds w/ iron sights so far, but when I decide on a scope I will be able to give a better review of accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Unbelievably, I was just at the local WALMART, and the patrol carbine, M4A3, is $897.00 -

First, I can't believe that they would actually stock them, and second, the 16" barrel with attached flash hider looks nice.

I may have to invest in another AR -
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#43]

At least they are using the correct key screws and staking them now.... are MPI bolts next for Bushmaster?

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Never a problem with many I have shot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a Bushy for years, and it gave me nothing but quality service.  The only reason I sold the upper is because a couple years ago used uppers were going for stupid amounts of money, and I sold it for $800.00 on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#46]
How about for long range accuracy? Will my bushy be good to about 400-500 yards?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got a 20" BM that will ring a gong out to 600m all day with an Acog on it.  The bullet drops are dead on out that far so I'd imagine yours should be similar.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Never heard of any problems with SA carriers or unshrouded carriers
Just make sure the key is staked .

I bought a Bushmaster 6.8 carbine back in '05. The piece of shit Bushmaster SA bolt carrier failed on me after a few hundred rounds of 6.8 and over 5000 in 5.56 last month. It wouldn't lock into battery because the gas tube could not enter the gas key after I dropped it on a concrete floor deforming the gas key orifice. Fucking Bushmaster gas key can't withstand a 3 foot drop on concrete. And I had to use an actual hex bit socket with a 1/2" ratchet to break the bolts loose from thier improper staking that I couldn't with an Allen wrench to replace the gas key.

Despite having nothing but good luck with Bushmaster products I am going to give the entire Bushmaster product line a -1 because of this incident. Even though it was completely my fault.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I love my M-4 Bushy . I put thousands of rounds through it and it is still going strong .If you go over to another gun board like ( M-4 Carbine.net.) then they will tell you that you have a piece of shit rifle .Do not listen any body"s opinion but ARFCO:s
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Well guys - about an hour ago I bought another Bushy - the M4A3 patrol carbine - $897.00 at Walmart, and comes with Bushmaster case, sling, and one 30 round magazine.

Compared to my 2002 vintage 20" A3 with heavy barrel, the M4A3 feels like a light toy.

Othrwise, it's very similar - 1-9 twist, chrome bore and chamber, 5.56 NATO, beautiful fit & finish, and nicely staked screws.

I'll get it cleaned up and out to the range Friday and I'll let you know how it shoots.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top