BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2014 4:24:04 AM EDT
Any body use this barrel on a build.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at them. Even the fluted option is heavy. The consensus is they shoot well, but did not fit the bill for a lightweight build for me. I went with the CMMG SST 18" which seems to be the lightest weight profile in a 18" 308 in stainless, and cost the same, or less in my case than the SSAS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm saving up to buy one. It's the last piece of my rifle to complete my build before I take it to the range and send rounds downrange. I am in the pool of not worrying about an extra lbs. The barrel is only 3.5lbs. It's not crazy heavy. The extra few ounces will help with felt recoil through inertia.

I think people are worried about nothing. They have convinced themselves that the barrel is massive. We're talking about 3.5lbs. That's a regular weight. It's not heavy.
A standard AP4 barrel is 3.3lbs  and it's two inches shorter at 16''

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650274/dpms-barrel-lr-308-308-winchester-ap4-contour-1-in-10-twist-16-chrome-moly-teflon-black-with-front-sight?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And the longer target barrels at 24" are over 5lbs.

So, what's "heavy?"

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ounces build pounds. If you want a dedicated bench gun anything works. Once you add a loaded magazine, scope, possibly a bi-pod your 9-10 pound rifle becomes a 14-15 pound rifle. Inertia is one thing, but most of that is absorbed by the reciprocating BCG in a semi auto. There is no disadvantage to building light especially if you plan on adding a scope which will add a pound or more with the mount. My project comes in at 7 pound 3 ounces, and with the minimalist stock will be 7 pounds 1 ounce. I added my scope today and it now weighs the same as my scoped Beowulf with a 16" barrel. More than enough to absorb recoil unless you are  a buck fifty wet. Anyway, OP get what you like, and realize what it will be used for. Like I said earlier people like them for their accuracy, and the price is not bad. Sometimes looks are more important than function.
This is the barrel I priced up the last sale they had. I was 179$ before shipping. Midway is about the most expensive place to buy 308 parts. You can get that same AP4 barrel for 50$ less at JSE. It is listed in the barrel section.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/cmmg18308sslwstrippedbarrel.aspx
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm saving up to buy one. It's the last piece of my rifle to complete my build before I take it to the range and send rounds downrange. I am in the pool of not worrying about an extra lbs. The barrel is only 3.5lbs. It's not crazy heavy. The extra few ounces will help with felt recoil through inertia.

I think people are worried about nothing. They have convinced themselves that the barrel is massive. We're talking about 3.5lbs. That's a regular weight. It's not heavy.
A standard AP4 barrel is 3.3lbs  and it's two inches shorter at 16''

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650274/dpms-barrel-lr-308-308-winchester-ap4-contour-1-in-10-twist-16-chrome-moly-teflon-black-with-front-sight?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And the longer target barrels at 24" are over 5lbs.

So, what's "heavy?"

View Quote

Seems like there should be more difference between the AP4 barrel and the SASS barrel.  The G2 AP4 is 7.25 lbs., and the SASS is 10.5.  Some difference in the furniture, but a lot of that is in the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seems like there should be more difference between the AP4 barrel and the SASS barrel.  The G2 AP4 is 7.25 lbs., and the SASS is 10.5.  Some difference in the furniture, but a lot of that is in the barrel.
View Quote

It seems, but that's why it's a fluted barrel to cut down on weight instead of being a solid bull barrel. By fluting the barrel they remove a good bit of weight from it.

I had a 308 with a solid stainless steel barrel and it was front-heavy and off balance. But that DPMS SASS barrel is graduated with more mass in the rear and fluted to remove weight. So, it would, just by its design, have different handling than a solid chunk of steel that has equal weight distribution.

I have a 30lbs M82A1 and it has a fluted barrel. I wouldn't want it with a solid bull barrel because it would seriously be poorly balanced.

The M82A1 isn't a "bench" rifle and our troops haul them up and down mountains and it's a battle rifle. So, I don't see how someone can say that adding an extra two lbs to a 308 makes it a "bench" rifle. It doesn't make any sense.

I've also got a Springfield M1A and it's over 10lbs. It's not a "bench" rifle either. That was our former 7.62 NATO standard issue battle rifle and it's still used as the M21 configuration which is only lighter because of cut length.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It seems, but that's why it's a fluted barrel to cut down on weight instead of being a solid bull barrel. By fluting the barrel they remove a good bit of weight from it.

I had a 308 with a solid stainless steel barrel and it was front-heavy and off balance. But that DPMS SASS barrel is graduated with more mass in the rear and fluted to remove weight. So, it would, just by its design, have different handling than a solid chunk of steel that has equal weight distribution.

I have a 30lbs M82A1 and it has a fluted barrel. I wouldn't want it with a solid bull barrel because it would seriously be poorly balanced.

The M82A1 isn't a "bench" rifle and our troops haul them up and down mountains and it's a battle rifle. So, I don't see how someone can say that adding an extra two lbs to a 308 makes it a "bench" rifle. It doesn't make any sense.

I've also got a Springfield M1A and it's over 10lbs. It's not a "bench" rifle either. That was our former 7.62 NATO standard issue battle rifle and it's still used as the M21 configuration which is only lighter because of cut length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's your proposal on why the AP4 is so much lighter if there is such a small difference in barrel weight?  And I think you would find a 14 or 15 pound gun difficult to shoot positionally, bring up quick from the ready, etc.  That would be why you want a light weight 308.  Think SCAR 17.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
i really didn't care about the weight all i wanted to know was if they are made well, and accurate. i carried a 240 bravo so weight really doesn't bother me. and if i wanted light weight ill just grab one of my ar15s.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Very accurate, tight throated "match" chamber is one reason. This can cause extraction issues, especially when attempting by hand.  

There are only a couple of gas blocks that will work with barrel due to barrel design.

Heavy is an understatement.  I told myself, "this will be a bench rifle".  Kinda wish I talked myself out of that thought.

DPMS barrel can be seen in middle of picture below, tipped with  PRI MSTN QC Brake.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/GenIIIGoat/IMG_8203_zps14fcfbef.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top