Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2004 12:11:08 PM EST
Anyone try one of these? I'm kicking around the idea of getting a can I could use with my SPR upper and my M4 upper. Both have the standard A2 flashiders. Thanks...

-sc
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:02:54 PM EST
They looked cool as hell at the SHOT show.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:20:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By salaciouscrumb:
Anyone try one of these?

***I've got one, but, darnit, it's in some funny caliber so I can't really comment on how it works on a 5.56mm carbine...

Kel

ps: Here's a pic of it though.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:22:06 PM EST
Very nice Kel!!!

I have got to figure out how to get a job like yours!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:26:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By kel:

Originally Posted By salaciouscrumb:
Anyone try one of these?

***I've got one, but, darnit, it's in some funny caliber so I can't really comment on how it works on a 5.56mm carbine...

Kel

ps: Here's a pic of it though.
myweb.cableone.net/1934/lightfighter/HALO/halo6-a.jpg

oh....... you suck!!!!

damn braggart!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:45:02 PM EST
Nice, Kel

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:39:26 PM EST
Kel,

Does Gemtech ever plan making a reflex can in 5.56?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:45:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Kel,

I'll second that....I'd be very interested in a reflex for a 5.56

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:33:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

***Options are always open, but - why? Even the Finns that promote them say they aren't meant to be the best in sound suppression, their goal was to have a cheaply manufactured decent-level suppressor. They are usually large, unless they blow a lot of stuff back into the action. They usually are firearm-model specific (can't use the same can on a M4 as a Commando as a 20").
The advantage of the being "short" is valid, but usually at the cost of dB reduction. The little M402 suppressor adds 4.75" to the overall length of the gun, does an honest 29-30dB reduction (more than reflex cans), weighs the same or less than competing reflex designs, and is probably more durable to boot than the single-wall construction reflex designs. Another point is that the interior diameter (airspace between the barrel's exterior diameter and the can's interior diameter) behind the muzzle on very compact reflex designs is VERY small, and can get filled up with carbon that isn't coming out easily. Once that's filled up, I'm not sure what companies expect you to do. Designs that are based in front of the muzzle are getting hit with a superheated blast of hot air/gas every time you pull the trigger, so a good deal of the crap goes downrange, not impacted backwards. Yes, some goes back - it's a suppressors job to retain gases - but it doesn't go back into a little chamber that you can't get apart to clean. The Finnish cans are huge back there, and have a lot of room to breathe and get dirty. Remember, those are supposed to be cheap and easily replacable as well, so if you do fill them up you grab another. For U.S. clients with $200 tax stamps and higher costs of production, I don't think that would be popular. I just got a call this week from someone attempting repair that had a can filled up and the southeastern-based manufacturer couldn't support it - he's pretty well screwed, and so we ended up discussing how best to stick a drill with a cleaning brush mounted to it for a while...

That all said, we've certianly been down that road before. Some of the original AWC/Gemtech cans were Back Over The Barrel designs, and we made a two-point mount can a couple years ago that went over like a lead balloon - no one wanted it - because reflex suppressors were not yet in vogue. Now that Surefire has saturated the market with their own articles saying how good their design is (I'm not saying anything good or bad here, just making the point that SF has done a lot of getting the word out on reflex style cans), and OPS continues to be recognized, there's some demand for the CAN-TAC, OPS, and Sfire cans because they are different. There may be some benefits, but the forbidden fruit isn't always better.

The market drives designs, and of course shorter, lighter is always a design goal, but in the commerical market especially, that can't come at losing dB reduction. No matter how cool a can is, sizewise, if you get next to somebody with a foot-long 2" dia cheapie can on the range and his sounds better than your high-speed low-drag wunderreflex can, it will wind up on the internet as "that new ____ can sucks! we shot it next to my ____, and it blew it away!" Benefits of the short/light are often lost on the commercial consumer (and the commercial consumer probably doesn't care as much about those factors and is shopping mostly for sound reduction).

Kel
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:51:03 AM EST
Thanks for the additional info Kel

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:01:18 AM EST
Will the HALO fit over the KAC QD Comp?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:26:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
Will the HALO fit over the KAC QD Comp?

***Yes.

Kel
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:28:53 AM EST
Forgot to ask. When is the 6.8 model projected for release?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:33:52 AM EST
I have a quick question.. how does the HALO connect to the flash suppressor? I read that it mounts onto any standard flash suppressor of a certain caliber/mm dimension.

I take it that it has a proprietary connecting device/design allowing itto go onto any FS?

Looking at getting one myself after I get my AR overhauled post ban-sunset.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:47:39 AM EST
Another question if I may. When the 6.8 HALO cans do come out, will Gem-Tech offer a flash suppressor to go with them? I'm not sure I have heard of any mil-spec 6.8 type birdcage flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:48:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 5:24:15 PM EST by Corporal_Chaos]

Another question if I may. When the 6.8 HALO cans do come out, will Gem-Tech offer a flash suppressor to go with them? I'm not sure I have heard of any mil-spec 6.8 type birdcage flash suppressor.

Bump.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:17:21 PM EST
Will the HALO fit over a Vortex or Phantom?

If so this suppressor would totaly be the shit. Per Gemtechs specs it will fit an FNC and H&K 93/33.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:24:24 PM EST

Bump.

Bump.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:28:23 PM EST
My first thought: wish I could have one. I live vicariously through posts like these.

[mumbling to myself] WhyTF do I live in this half commie state with a communist/liberal/canuck governor!?!?[/mumbling to myself]

Bump to the bump.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:49:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By mongo001:
My first thought: wish I could have one. I live vicariously through posts like these.

[mumbling to myself] WhyTF do I live in this half commie state with a communist/liberal/canuck governor!?!?[/mumbling to myself]

Bump to the bump.

[off topic]Haha, you have a canuck governor![off topic]

Seriously, he's really a canuck?

No offense Kevin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:26:35 PM EST
From what I have seen it has an adaptor that goes on kinda like a blank adaptor and then the can screws onto this adaptor. Its a low speed method of adding or removing the can but beats having to wrench off the flash hider then wrench it back on later. I will stick with the Bilock myself... even if it does require cleaning. I mean the AR is the dirtiest and finikiest rifle when it come to cleaning in the world. We are all used to cleaning our gear well because of this anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:49:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 1:50:06 AM EST by mongo001]

Seriously, he's really a canuck?

[off topic]SHE IS!![/off topic]
Top Top