Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2019 9:49:35 AM EDT
Hey guys I'm looking to put a rail on my 14.5" upper.

Seriously considering the KAC URX 3.1, only thing I don't like about it is that it cannot be removed without removing the barrel nut.

For those of you who own one, I was wondering what your opinions are? I think it looks pretty bad ass.

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 7.62 URX 3.1 and it’s an incredible rail. Unless you have a big need to constantly remove your rail it’s hard to beat even today.
If you need access or your gas block or whatever the bottom half comes off.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I just recently installed one.
Other than the price and barrel nut wrench they are awesome, solid rails.
I bought it for the simple reason I'll never have to buy another rail for that gun...ever.
If you're cool with the price and the cost of the wrench, I'd say go for it!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If God and Jesus had to pick one rail to use on the AR15 it would be the URX 3.1! You don't hate God and Jesus do you?

OP, its not only the sexiest rail ever created for the AR15/M4, its also the one of the most practical and ergonomic rails on the market, one of the few rails I've ever paid for that is 100% worth the coin, I love the RIS II FSP Rail, but it ain't worth $450 unless you trying to be a cloner, even then its extremely excessive for a rail, the KAC URX 3.1 is the shit, it's the Lamborghini of rails in the AR15/M4 World, and worth ever penny, for the most solid lockup you can imagine. Only downside though, its a bitch to install yourself, its better to get ADCO to do it, or a professional gun smith if possible with the correct tools to do it, I lucked out where I live, got an LGS that was able to do it for dirt cheap, but if you get it, just easier to have a professional install it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I’d put the URX 3.1 in the top two or three rails ever made category, personally.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d put the URX 3.1 in the top two or three rails ever made category, personally.
View Quote
Sir, your absolute Heresy is not welcome here. URX 3.1 = #1, not #2, and or #3, that shit is unsettling that you would spew such lies and fake news, you sound like you belong on CNN's staff. I demand your Apology for such lies, for Christ Sake's its Sunday sir!

...... Just J/King would be curious what you would place above the URX 3.1 in all honesty, hope you would throw Centurion in there, but have a feeling Geissele, or DD is your front runner.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my urx 3.1 and it is honestly up there in terms of the best rail made. I have an extra waiting to be put on a rifle. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite rail ever made, bar none. Nothing is a close second for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The URX 3.1 is also my favorite rail.

I put one on my very first AR and have loved it ever since. I built a KAC pistol last year and knew it needed some 3.1 in it's life. I look forward to putting another full size one on a pinned 14.5 upper some day.

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
It is lightweight, strong and it looks good. It also has stood the test of time. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
its the best looking handguard ever made of all time.

i prefer the urx4 for actually using though, i just like using mlok more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey guys I'm looking to put a rail on my 14.5" upper.

Seriously considering the KAC URX 3.1, only thing I don't like about it is that it cannot be removed without removing the barrel nut.

For those of you who own one, I was wondering what your opinions are? I think it looks pretty bad ass.

https://i.imgur.com/WVjIzdtl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1lVIrEMl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KlW22nJl.jpg
View Quote
The first pic is a URX 3, not 3.1 FYI.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: The first pic is a URX 3, not 3.1 FYI.
View Quote
This is correct.  The integrated front sight is the give-away.  The URX3 Rifle length is a 12.5 where the 3.1s were made 10.75 and 13.5" lengths.

I think the URX3 is the most BA handguard ever made with the URX3.1 a pretty close 2nd.

You're doing the right thing OP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The flash hider will have to be unpinned and then pin and welded again. Otherwise I would not hesisitate to get the 3.1 and just remove it later if I didn't like it.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 3.1, have some time to think about it as I must sell my DD RIS II and DD just started selling those again. Bad timing on my part.

If you guys have more pics I'd love to see them!

Quoted:
View Quote
Right, the front sight is the give away. Was a bit challenging because the light is covering the exposed part of the barrel that you get from the slightly shorter rail.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The flash hider will have to be unpinned and then pin and welded again. Otherwise I would not hesisitate to get the 3.1 and just remove it later if I didn't like it.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 3.1, have some time to think about it as I must sell my DD RIS II and DD just started selling those again. Bad timing on my part.

If you guys have more pics I'd love to see them!

Right, the front sight is the give away. Was a bit challenging because the light is covering the exposed part of the barrel that you get from the slightly shorter rail.
View Quote
Another key difference is that the 12.5" URX3 doesn't have a section of rail on the back. Just a QD sling mount.

I have a URX3 sitting here waiting for a barrel to get chopped to 13.1" so that it will be nice and tight with a suppressor. I also have a URX 3.1 that I am actually planning to install on a Ruger Precision Rifle when I end up getting one. And another 3.1 on a 14.5 pinned. and a URX 3.1 10.75"... and URX2 and a couple URX4's. Man... I never really stopped to think about how many URX rails I have. They are great rails so I guess whenever I'm doing another build, it just kind of spawns a new one. I should take some pictures.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one ready to install. Just tryi g to find a wrench or gunsmith locally
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Guys,

So the barrel will be 14.5" and the rail is 13.5"
what's a good flash hider or muzzle brake that I can have pinned on there that doubles as a suppressor adapter? If it's going to be on there permanently it might as well be one I can attach a suppressor to. My only requirement is that it's not too long.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotta figure out which suppressor you want so you can have the mount p&w now
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I deeply regret selling my URX 3 rail. It was badass.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I really like the rail! Has a lot of the best of both worlds. Slim and rail space all in the right places.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Would anyone be able to provide some diameter measurements of the 3.1?  I've been eyeing one for a long time but have not had the opportunity to see one in person.  I'm really just curious about the hight and width of the hand guard around the center (where most would hold it).
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I own the URX II. I love it. Second favorite rail I've owned behind the FF RAS Long
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the best rails for sure. Mine is on a 14.5" too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Easily removed free-floating barrel forend rails are inherently weak, tend to loosen and have extra weigh you don't need...drop one on a concrete curb and you will see what I mean...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Easily removed free-floating barrel forend rails are inherently weak, tend to loosen and have extra weigh you don't need...drop one on a concrete curb and you will see what I mean...
Not sure what you mean you got video or photographic evidence? #KACHATER

Quoted:
One of the best rails for sure. Mine is on a 14.5" too.
I think you meant just "The" instead "One of" sir!

That's a pretty cool paint job bro, got any in better lighting, as it is camouflaged very well lol, but I like it a lot!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#27]
While browsing the EE today I saw 2 URX 3 rails for sale. $525 each
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
URX 3 or URX 3.1? The 3.1 is still very available at a lot of vendors! The accessories are drying up though.

I like the URX 3, but would be more interested in the URX 3.1/Magpul MLOK style rail for $525 personally, that would be probably go for more though unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would anyone be able to provide some diameter measurements of the 3.1?  I've been eyeing one for a long time but have not had the opportunity to see one in person.  I'm really just curious about the hight and width of the hand guard around the center (where most would hold it).
View Quote
Right in the middle where the rail is the skinniest is 2.186" for height from bottom to top of picatinny rail and 1.951" for width.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I love this rail. I would say first choice Geissele MK1, then the URX 3.1 then the original Centurion Arms CMR
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
URX 3 or URX 3.1? The 3.1 is still very available at a lot of vendors! The accessories are drying up though.

I like the URX 3, but would be more interested in the URX 3.1/Magpul MLOK style rail for $525 personally, that would be probably go for more though unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 12.5" 3 with integrated folding front sight. I had one in 2012 on a BCM middy upper and sold it during the great panic. Wish I had kept the rail. Had the full panel kit too with long and short parts and the hand stop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#32]
The 3.1 is a classic and was far ahead of it's time in terms of slimming up and minimizing rail estate.

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#34]
You won't regret it

Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Guys,

those are some bad ass looking rigs. As soon as my RIS II sells, I'm buying one of these.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve had multiple uppers with the urx2/3/3.1 rails and they’re my favorite. I’d have to say that the rifle length 3 is my favorite followed by the 3.1. I need to find another rifle length 3 and actually keep it this time. Just got a bcm upper with a 3.1 in the mail yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've had multiple uppers with the urx2/3/3.1 rails and they're my favorite. I'd have to say that the rifle length 3 is my favorite followed by the 3.1. I need to find another rifle length 3 and actually keep it this time. Just got a bcm upper with a 3.1 in the mail yesterday.
View Quote
2 of them in here. I am tempted.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Knights-Armament-KAC-Upper-E3-Barrel-BCG-URX-FF-RAS-HK-Rail-Sights-Mounts-Panels-Parts-More-/25-1870142/
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had multiple uppers with the urx2/3/3.1 rails and they're my favorite. I'd have to say that the rifle length 3 is my favorite followed by the 3.1. I need to find another rifle length 3 and actually keep it this time. Just got a bcm upper with a 3.1 in the mail yesterday.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Knights-Armament-KAC-Upper-E3-Barrel-BCG-URX-FF-RAS-HK-Rail-Sights-Mounts-Panels-Parts-More-/25-1870142/
I’m kinda tempted, but I sold mine for less than that so I’ll probably hold out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm kinda tempted, but I sold mine for less than that so I'll probably hold out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm kinda tempted, but I sold mine for less than that so I'll probably hold out.
Me too, but it was a while ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone want to sell me their heat shield? Mine didn't come with one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top