Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:43:36 PM EDT
Has this happened to anyone?

Wouldn't feed the round out of the magazine. It wouldn't
slide up the feedramp. Instead, it would catch on the flat
part just under the feedramp. It did this with three rounds.
I'm pretty sure all three of those rounds were hollow point. I had
a magazine mixed of hollow point and FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:46:55 PM EDT
I've had them catch there before, but never push that far back into the case.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:58:19 PM EDT
That has hapened to me a few times with that crap 45gr Win Varment ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

That's what did it to me too.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:11:08 PM EDT
You guys think it had anything to do with the hollow point? Being flat tipped like that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:13:36 PM EDT
If you had dremel'ed faux patented Colt M4 feed ramps into your upper, this would never happen. Of course, since you are neither related to Samuel Colt, nor could you possibly have the super-secret technical data package that describes the one and only way to cut extended feed ramps, if you did carve feed ramps it would have resulted in your upper turning purple, those cravings to buy an AK47 to come back, and penis getting several inches shorter.

Dude, carve some extended feed ramps in your upper. It'll fix that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:28 PM EDT
shitty reloading dies will do that too. Never, ever, ever, ever use Lee reloading dies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:58 PM EDT
that happened with a reloaded soft point from T's in Texas city, he dosen't crimp. I had shot some that my dad had given me, and not knowing it wasnt crimped I shot 30rds and when I reloaded and released teh catch something felt different, I pulled the mag out and pulled the charging handle and all the powder fell out along with the round, I still have it and will post a pic tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 8:05:34 PM EDT by eye_spy]
It could also ba a weak mag spring or a worn down mag catch or notch in the magazine.

[ETA: happened to me with Hornady hollowpoints on a defective mag]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:12:51 PM EDT
this happened to me with a failure to extract the previous round and the next round would feed into the back of it. It happened every time with hollow point remington walmart ammo and twice with the same stuff in FMJ. I had put a new DPMS mag spring in the mag and wondered if it was too strong?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:18:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoseyWales:
shitty reloading dies will do that too. Never, ever, ever, ever use Lee reloading dies.

Damn I guess my dies don't load useable ammo then. Funny thing is no malfunctions.

Bullet point the real culprit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:40:10 PM EDT

Wow, I guess I'd better inform my .308 ammo that shoots .3 MOA that my Lee dies don't work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:40:25 PM EDT
I would speculate that this would not have happened with m4 feedramps. I personally have not have this happen, but I only shoot factory ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:43:21 PM EDT
It happens all the time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:44:14 PM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:47:42 PM EDT
This was factory ammo btw.
Remington hollow points I believe.
I generally only use Federal, in the brown boxes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:52:22 PM EDT
IMI 855 does it in my 6721
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:42:54 AM EDT

+1

But...it also happened with some Black Hills (blue box reman. ammo in JH 52gr) the same day. And it was happening out of 3 different mags, all brand new, so it wasn't a spring or mag issue.

BM sent me a new extractor spring and insert to try and haven't had any probs yet.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:03:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 7:00:22 AM EDT by mongo001]
This would be one of the very few instances where the extended ramps may be a benefit. Bullet tips usually feed into the lower third of a standard feed ramp. The larger frontal cross section of the hollow point would allow the bullet tip to catch the receiver, with the pictured result, especially if all of your other tolerances add up to lower bullet feeding in the first place.

You have two options if you want to continue using this ammo. Dremel the ramps into your present equipment or get the correct equipment with the extended ramps and install that. Most choose the Dremel route, as it is cheap. I prefer the proper equipment, because I have money coming out of my wazoo. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:09:59 AM EDT
it happens with mine anytime I use HP.I have new dh mags so it is not the mags with me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:24:40 AM EDT
I've had it happen with hp ammo too, on brand new bushmaster mags. Had 100 rounds worth and it happened twice, but I’ve since sworn off hp rounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:47:19 AM EDT

Yeah, right. Whatever.

Back on topic, are you sure you don't have M4 ramped upper and standard rifle extension? This could be the reason for the hangup. I've never had this happen. Possibly the round was too short which contributed to the hangup? I run 60 gr. HP Sierra Varminters frequently, load 'em a little short of mag length (2.250" if I'm not mistaken) and never have a problem. MJD
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
Bullshit, that had to be Wolf ammo. Wolf is the only ammo that ever has problems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:15:38 AM EDT
I've seen it happen with some 9mm ammo, but never seen one pushed down that far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:34:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mongo001:
This would be one of the very few instances where the extended ramps may be a benefit. Bullet tips usually feed into the lower third of a standard feed ramp. The larger frontal cross section of the hollow point would allow the bullet tip to catch the receiver, with the pictured result, especially if all of your other tolerances add up to lower bullet feeding in the first place.

You have two options if you want to continue using this ammo. Dremel the ramps into your present equipment or get the correct equipment with the extended ramps and install that. Most choose the Dremel route, as it is cheap. I prefer the proper equipment, because I have money coming out of my wazoo.h.gif YMMV.

+1 for feed M4 feed ramps
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:54:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:

Yeah, right. Whatever.

Back on topic, are you sure you don't have M4 ramped upper and standard rifle extension? This could be the reason for the hangup. I've never had this happen. Possibly the round was too short which contributed to the hangup? I run 60 gr. HP Sierra Varminters frequently, load 'em a little short of mag length (2.250" if I'm not mistaken) and never have a problem. MJD

The upper and extension are factory bushmaster. Just your basic run of the mill ramp setup.
I've run 120 rounds out of this particular AR without a hitch, up until I decided to launch
hollow points out of it. I think that'll be the last box of hollow point I use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:30:06 PM EDT
+1 on the "yah, right". I use alot of Lee dies without issue. Could it have been operator error????
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:

That's what did it to me too.

WIZZO

Add me to the list. Brand new BM Patrolmans carbine. I believe the lack of a cinched neck and odd tip are to blame. No issue with any other round except the Win. Varminter ammo from Wally world.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 3:17:37 PM EDT by offroader333]
my bushmaster did it once of 400 win. 45 gr. varmint ammo, i noticed before, my brass was getting deep scratches when loaded from mag. found sharp edges on feed ramps. i extended them just a little, basically just smoothed transition of reciver/extension and rounded sharp edges. this was done before shooting the win. varmint ammo. my brother has bushy upper un modified, that happend to him about 12 times out of his 400 rds. of win 45 gr. and my reloads with lee dies run flawless and accurate!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:51:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By luckypunk:
IMI 855 does it in my 6721

To clarify, in this case:

An empty case would not be extracted, next round would get beat into FTE case and end up looking like yours. This is new boxed IMI FMJ Ammo on M4 ramps, the combo wouldn't work but the gun had several hundred rounds (thousands?) of wolf without cleaning chamber.

It's my belief that 120 rounds in a weapon is not nearly enough to pop her cherry. Try HPs again at 5 or 7 hundred and they'll probably work fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:38:49 PM EDT
Mine has done the same thing, it's b/c you're using a hollow point. i use either FMJ or more preferably soft point ammo.
Top Top