Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2009 1:34:16 PM EDT
Ok, This is the general look that I'm going for...I will be using it on an SBRd lower that will also be used with a 5.56 upper, so I'm not looking for a dedicated setup.

and this is what I have on the list, this will be my first 9mm build so please help me out, thanks.

RRA 9mm Upper from ADCO
Bolt-I know ADCO sells an RRA one, and for $50 more they will ramp it, or spikes sells a cmmg pre-ramped one. any suggestions?
Charging handle - will any 5.56 one work? gasbuster type necessary?
5" barrel- TROS has one, and Spikes has one- suggestions? Why is the spikes one like 300 bucks more?
DD 7.0 rail - ADCO
SWR Trident w/ three lug adapter
Hahn bottom conversion
Metalform mags from spikes in order for the BHO to work.

I think that's about it, if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

ETA: can I shoot it without the can on without any big problems? Say i get the upper done with out having the forms for the can back yet...or is that a bad idea
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
This is EXACTLY what I want to do too.I will be watching this thread closely. I want mine to look like this.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Standard charging handle will work, a Gasbuster wont with out modification.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the CMMG bolt since it is already ramped, they caught on to the demand.

The standard charging handle works fine. I do like the gasbuster better though, but yes i has to modify it a little with my dremel tool. The front lip of the charging handle where it meets the bolt needs to be made to look like a standard charging handle in order to work with a 9mm bolt.

I have a TROS 5" barrel and love it, great quality work.

Honestly if you plan on swapping back and forth from 5.56mm to 9mm a lot then i would suggest getting a Hy-tech mag block instead. I also have a Hahn block, but i usually end up tossing the Hy-tech block in my gun since it's easier and works great.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told to add these to my build. Just something to add that people can put there $.02 in on. Are KNS trigger pins really needed on a 9mm build and what happens if they aren't used?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was told to add these to my build. Just something to add that people can put there $.02 in on. Are KNS trigger pins really needed on a 9mm build and what happens if they aren't used?

You will hear alot of PRO's and not many CON'S.  Some believe in them , some dont.  I treat it as cheap insurance.  I have the 5" TROS barrel on mine.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag.

I just bought a CMMG 9mm today.  I was in the shop and the guy said he would knock 50 bucks off the price and I took it home.  My son had been wanting to put together a 9mm, so, now the ball is rolling.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bolt-I know ADCO sells an RRA one, and for $50 more they will ramp it, or spikes sells a cmmg pre-ramped one. any suggestions?
5" barrel- TROS has one, and Spikes has one- suggestions? Why is the spikes one like 300 bucks more?

Spike's is in the final stage of making their own 9mm bolt.  That's what I'm holding out for with my build.

ETA http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=176564
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, This is the general look that I'm going for...I will be using it on an SBRd lower that will also be used with a 5.56 upper, so I'm not looking for a dedicated setup.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x109/KavonT/IMG_2481.jpg

and this is what I have on the list, this will be my first 9mm build so please help me out, thanks.

RRA 9mm Upper from ADCO
DD 7.0 rail - ADCO
SWR Trident w/ three lug adapter
Hahn bottom conversion
Metalform mags from spikes in order for the BHO to work.

I think that's about it, if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

ETA: can I shoot it without the can on without any big problems? Say i get the upper done with out having the forms for the can back yet...or is that a bad idea

Good luck on your build.......I had no problems shooting mine without th can outside of a little powder fouling which wiped right off.  Here are my specs:

RRA 9mm Upper...removed the gas deflector and replaced the 9mm port door with a standard sized one for a slickside look.
RRA Ramped Bolt
TROS 3 Lug Barrel w/Trident 9
DD Lite SSC Rail 7.0
Hahn Bottom Mount Magwell
Slash 9Q Heavy Buffer w/Xtra Power Spring eliminates the need for the Gasbuster Charging Handle

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
wow, straight from the horses mouth, thanks alot. I don't know when I'm going to get started, but it's on the list. haha
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I broke two hammer pins, then bought KNS pins. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ADCO's bolt is an RRA bolt and it comes ramped for $190 - there is no extra charge.  If you don't want to wait for Spike's in-house bolt, I would highly suggest paying the few dollars extra and opting for the ramped RRA from ADCO over the CMMG bolt.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADCO's bolt is an RRA bolt and it comes ramped for $190 - there is no extra charge.  If you don't want to wait for Spike's in-house bolt, I would highly suggest paying the few dollars extra and opting for the ramped RRA from ADCO over the CMMG bolt.  Just my 2 cents.

Now why is that Kevin?  I've heard 1 report that a CMMG bolt wasn't headspaced for shit but that was 1 case and I could be wrong about it.  SPIKES!  give bolt now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now why is that Kevin?  I've heard 1 report that a CMMG bolt wasn't headspaced for shit but that was 1 case and I could be wrong about it.  SPIKES!  give bolt now.

I was aware that CMMG had some issues with not having enough firing pin protrusion (.018" instead of .035-.040" and it was supposedly only in their early batches), but I never heard of any of their bolts that had headspace issues (was it posted here?  got a link?  hopefully it's not the one I'm thinking of from cda97 was it? because that wasn't a headspace issue - it was a lack of firing pin protrusion).

As far as anything else, the only thing I want to say, is get your hands on a CMMG bolt and a factory Colt or RRA bolt and compare them for yourself.  Now that Brownells is selling CMMG bolts at a nice discount to trade/mil/le, I may buy another one before the end of the year and see how it compares and if any changes have been made.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was aware that CMMG had some issues with not having enough firing pin protrusion (.018" instead of .035-.040" and it was supposedly only in their early batches), but I never heard of any of their bolts that had headspace issues (was it posted here?  got a link?  hopefully it's not the one I'm thinking of from cda97 was it? because that wasn't a headspace issue - it was a lack of firing pin protrusion).

As far as anything else, the only thing I want to say, is get your hands on a CMMG bolt and a factory Colt or RRA bolt and compare them for yourself.  Now that Brownells is selling CMMG bolts at a nice discount to trade/mil/le, I may buy another one before the end of the year and see how it compares and if any changes have been made.

Maybe that's the thread I'm thinking of then.  cda97's firing pin protrusion thread.  It was a long time ago and I remember the OP using a Rock River and that was good to go.  So talk to me goose.  "get your hands on a CMMG bolt and a factory Colt or RRA bolt and compare them for yourself."  this sort of statement makes me really want to wait in Spike's 9mm bolt.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's the thread I'm thinking of then.  cda97's firing pin protrusion thread.  It was a long time ago and I remember the OP using a Rock River and that was good to go.  So talk to me goose.  "get your hands on a CMMG bolt and a factory Colt or RRA bolt and compare them for yourself."  this sort of statement makes me really want to wait in Spike's 9mm bolt.  

I just want to clarify - my comments did not include any mention of Spikes bolt.  I have no info on it, nor was I trying to make a case for or against it.  If you or anyone else wants to read into it, please do so without referencing my statements.

I was merely trying to convey that if you or anyone else is serious about building a 9mm AR, do your homework and compare currently available product and see which meets your requirements/needs.  Both the CMMG and RRA bolts are available now - no waiting required.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top