Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2009 8:29:37 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting either the DD mount or the Larue mount.  Which one is better, and which one weighs less?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the Larue and never ever look back!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The dd weighs less, the larue has QD. If you don't need to remove the optic and put it back on without losing zero, go with the DD.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The dd weighs less, the larue has QD. If you don't need to remove the optic and put it back on without losing zero, go with the DD.

the daniel defense is insanely light. i believe 1.3 oz or something

if you dont need QD id say thats the way to go..

if not, Larue or knights are both pretty awesome
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll throw in a vote for american defense.  Great quality with quick release and optional height spacers for lower1/3 or absolute cowhitness.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the DD lower 1/3 cowitness?  I'm using a forged FSB, btw.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the DD lower 1/3 cowitness?  I'm using a forged FSB, btw.

Yes, the DD mount is lower 1/3. I'm using mine with a FSB as well, works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
LaRue QD.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I love the GGandG mount with the caps
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

"If LaRue is an option, then LaRue is the answer."(tm)
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#11]
It depends on what platform you are using it for. I kept breaking LaRue's mount on my M4 shotgun and went with ADM. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It depends on what platform you are using it for. I kept breaking LaRue's mount on my M4 shotgun and went with ADM. Problem solved.

Really?  Can we see pics?  I have never seen a broken LaRue mount before!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my friend's LT mount, but mine did the same thing. The foot is not wide enough to contact the 1913 rail on the M4S90. I noticed that LaRue took the picture of the M4S90 with their MRD on it down from their site a while back.

ADM uses a full cross-bar.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my friend's LT mount, but mine did the same thing. The foot is not wide enough to contact the 1913 rail on the M4S90. I noticed that LaRue took the picture of the M4S90 with their MRD on it down from their site a while back.

http://i37.tinypic.com/16bknqf.jpg

Ah, so it was with the 'notched' rails that that happened?  Looks like you could still throw it on a full rail.  I suppose that you need to use what works for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i37.tinypic.com/16bknqf.jpg

Ah, so it was with the 'notched' rails that that happened?  Looks like you could still throw it on a full rail.  I suppose that you need to use what works for you.

Yep, the ever growing popularity of these ghey 1913 rails with axial cuts sucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Yep, the ever growing popularity of these ghey 1913 rails with axial cuts sucks.  

Yep, the 1913 picatinny doesn't have a call-out for extra gashes in it ... and our stuff is specifically made for the 1913 spec.

But, since it is a shotgun ... I suppose just  about any mount made will do repeatability-wise.  

I do recall an issue ... seems like it was the shotgun rail itself was not tall enough to allow proper operation of the lever ?  My guess is everything mounted to it is just "sorta" on it, except for stuff with the little Weaver clamps.

ML

The 1913 rail is in-spec except for the axial cuts which seem more and more popular now days. The lever works fine on the rail. No adjustment was necessary beyond a 1/4 turn of the nut IIRC. It was designed for Trijicon/Aimpoint's mounts, specifically. I called Benelli and had a long discussion with them about it that got nowhere.

I find NO PURPOSE for the axial cut other than weight-savings (rediculous).

The assertation about other things mounting to the rail "just sorta" is incorrect. Everything else that does not rely one an "unbroken" 1913 rail works like it would on any other mil-spec 1913 rail.

While it is the rail, and not the LaRue product that is deviating from accepted practice, I have noticed more and more that these axial-cut 1913 rails are showing up on AR platforms, etc. Is there any way LaRue might consider widening the lug in the future, or are there good reasons not to? There are plenty of ADM/LRP equipped M4S90 owners out there who would make the switch if you did. I love the LaRue system, my M4's rail just doesn't play nice with it.

I am glad that LaRue took down their advertisement showing this mount attatched to the M4S90. That is what led me to buy it, along with a phone-conversation with LaRue staff stating that it would work fine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
I am glad that LaRue took down their advertisement showing this mount attatched to the M4S90. That is what led me to buy it, along with a phone-conversation with LaRue staff stating that it would work fine.  

I'm hoping we had the sense to refund your bucks and toss in a little somethin' extra to make it woth your waste of time.  

ETA - To be clear, the 1913 spec doesn't include extra gashes ... so, though it makes about the same splash when you throw it in the pond, it ain't the same.

My money was refunded and the staff I dealt with were polite.

I agree that the 1913 rail does not include an axial cut, but would there be a problem machining the recoil lug to a longer dimension? That way it would work on even the funky 1913 rails with cuts?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Glad to hear we didn't drop your ball.

As to the funky 1913 rail ... well shucks, we gotta leave a little business out there.

I figure tooling cost would be more than the profit from us oddball M4S90 owners, but it never hurts to ask. No, LaRue's CS was flawless as I expected. No complaints and I still buy whatever I can from you guys for my applications.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#22]
*** ADM ***
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep the Benelli stock rail has a lot of " " in it... One of the few things I dislike.

However, one thing I did notice, is that if the rail didn't have the parallel cut along the length, it might clutter the ghost ring's sight picture, but IMHO it would not be enough to care about.

Quoted:
*** ADM ***

I have the ADM low Micro mount for my Benelli M4, and its a very solid mount. The full length steel cross slot is good for the cutout in the middle, since it touches almost all the way across.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#24]
As insightful as this look into the problems of getting a good mount for a Benelli is, I believe the original poster was mounting his H-1 on an AR (since he references the FSB).  So, any imput in that direction?

I still maintain LaRue or DD.  Either one gives a lower 1/3 (okay, lower 1/4) cowitness.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As insightful as this look into the problems of getting a good mount for a Benelli is, I believe the original poster was mounting his H-1 on an AR (since he references the FSB).  So, any imput in that direction?

I still maintain LaRue or DD.  Either one gives a lower 1/3 (okay, lower 1/4) cowitness.

I think the consensus leans towards LaRue.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top