Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2007 3:42:30 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up one of the 18" SPR uppers from CMMG to build into a mk12 mod0 ish type clone.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I'm wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect out of them, with a bullet weight appropriate to the 1/8 twist rifling they have.  

Also, do the barrels have the correct contour for the OPS INC brake and collar?

I'm still looking at other options, so if theres any suggestions in the price range give or take a hundred bucks or so let me know.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand CMMG is great stuff. I wanted for the longest time to build the same thing but chickened out due to the amount it would have cost. Im not sure about the brake and collar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG uses basic stainless steel barrels. They are not match grade stainless steel so don't expect anything less than 1" at 100 yrds.  They will not be better than a standard non lined steel barrel. Another choice is WOA barrels which are made from a Wilson Arms match grade blanks. They are affordable and good enough for most shooters. The original military SPR use Krieger barrels. Unless you want to spend several hundred dollars on a barrel the WOA are good enough.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CMMG uses basic stainless steel barrels. They are not match grade stainless steel so don't expect anything less than 1" at 100 yrds.  They will not be better than a standard non lined steel barrel. Another choice is WOA barrels which are made from a Wilson Arms match grade blanks. They are affordable and good enough for most shooters. The original military SPR use Krieger douglas barrels. Unless you want to spend several hundred dollars on a barrel the WOA are good enough.

Interesting to hear, how did you chance upon this info?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Since I don' know which part you are responding to I will have to answer to the best of my ability. I called CMMG to find out if their barrels are match grade. They said they where not and don't expect match grade performance. I never read anywhere that the SPR barrels where Douglas. But who knows what is true on the internet. WOA are Wilson Arms blanks that is common knowledge. Wilson Arms barrels are decent quality for the price range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a complete CMMG 18" SPR and I'm a fan.  It's my first AR, so I can't really compare it to others, but I like it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Since I don' know which part you are responding to I will have to answer to the best of my ability. I called CMMG to find out if their barrels are match grade. They said they where not and don't expect match grade performance. I never read anywhere that the SPR barrels where Douglas. But who knows what is true on the internet. WOA are Wilson Arms blanks that is common knowledge. Wilson Arms barrels are decent quality for the price range.

my bad, I wasn't referring to the Krieger/Douglas barrel.  From everything I've read, from the Wiki to MSTN & ADCO's posts on the subject, the SPR barrel is/was a Douglas.  

As far as CMMG not using match grade barrels, I was just curious as I didn't think there was any such thing as a non-match grade stainless steel barrel.  Wouldn't the loss of accuracy no longer justify a switch from CL'd to SS?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMMG uses basic stainless steel barrels. They are not match grade stainless steel so don't expect anything less than 1" at 100 yrds.  They will not be better than a standard non lined steel barrel. Another choice is WOA barrels which are made from a Wilson Arms match grade blanks. They are affordable and good enough for most shooters. The original military SPR use Krieger douglas barrels. Unless you want to spend several hundred dollars on a barrel the WOA are good enough.

Interesting to hear, how did you chance upon this info?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with cbsbyte on this one. He may be right on the factual mumbo jumbo, but I have personally seen an 18" CMMG SPR barrel pump out .75 -1" groups at 100 yards consistently with handloads. And it's the chrome lined model.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a reply from CMMG in the industry section when I asked the same question.

I've gotten consistent sub 1/2MOA groups out of my own 2 SST barrels. I used 75 gr TAP, 77gr black hills and 55gr American eagle.

Jeff

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]

I love your rifle.  I want to build one like it.

Jay
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I love that backdrop (and rifle), but you don't mean chrome-lined stainless, do you?  I haven't seen THAT one from CMMG, tho' lord knows they've got everything else.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#11]
All I am saying is technically their barrels are not made from match grade blanks. While it is true most match grade barrels are made from SS don't assume all SS barrels are match grade. If people are getting good groups with their CMMG rifles that is great but don't expect that to be the case with every barrel. Most shooters will not see the difference between a CMMG barrel and a Krieger at 100yrds. But the difference comes out when shooting at hundreds of yards. That is where the difference between a match barrel and a regular stainless steel barrel can be seen. If you are only going to be shooting for fun, with standard ammo and are not doing long distance target shooting then just buy the CMMG. With the savings buy a nice trigger and glass for your rifle which will probably be a better investment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the 18" Sabre midlength chrome lined SPR barrel. It consistently shoots 1 MOA or better.

I know several guys with the 18" Sabre SS barrel and they consistently shoot better than 3/4 MOA.

www.tacticsllc.com/accessories/18-fluted-mid-length-barrel
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the replies.  I do want to shoot out to 600 yards, I'm a member of a range that can go that far.  I'm still in the decision making process, but I'm going to make up my mind in the next couple days hopefully.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I get around 1" -1.5" groups with my CMMG 18" chrome lined with good ammo adn my shooting skills (not great but not bad either).
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#15]
CMMG SPR 18" in the middle. Range report to follow this weekend.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine is a consistent 3/4" MOA or less at 100 yards with Black Hills 75gr loads.  I had bought it originally to use as an upper on one of my M16s but the accuracy was so consistently good that I built it its own lower with a match trigger and better stock.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mine is a consistent 3/4" MOA or less at 100 yards with Black Hills 75gr loads.  I had bought it originally to use as an upper on one of my M16s but the accuracy was so consistently good that I built it its own lower with a match trigger and better stock.

www.supercharger.net/private/newspr.jpg

You are an A-hole.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#19]
+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, do the barrels have the correct contour for the OPS INC brake and collar?

If you are planning on installing a suppressor, send the barrel out to make sure the bore on concentric. This is VERY important.

I've been using the YHM can without any issues (note the Phantom QD mount in the picture).

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top