Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:03:27 AM EDT
My first build was an ultralight.  I used a Bushy superlight barrel, Clark (same as DPMS) carbon fiber free float tube), Les Baer flattop upper w/o forward assist and a Cav. Arms Mk II lower.

Now I'm thinking about making that build (build 1.1) even lighter or building a new, lighter, ultralight from scratch (build 2.0).  Why?  Because I can.

Here are some ideas I'm kicking around.  Let me know what you think>

1.  Drill holes in the carbon fiber free float tube to further reduce weight and for a "perforated barrel jacket" look.

2.  Bushy carbon-fiber upper (I'm aware of the problems some people have had with them)

3.  JP Rifles low-mass stainless bolt carrier and speed trigger

4.  ABS 16" carbon wraped barrel w/no muzzle device

5.  (Maybe) Bushy carbon fiber lower and ACE AR15 Ultra Lite Stock to permit using JP Rifles 2.5 oz. low mass buffer and 3.5 oz 7075 carrier.  I still have to do the math to see if this would result in a lower overall weight than a Cav. Arms Mk II lower and JP's low-mass stainless carrier.

Either way I'll use a 2.3 oz. OKO sight.

The general idea is to minimize weight maximize carbon fiber and end up with an accurate carbine that is reliable enough for recreational (non-life critical) use.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top