Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 7:06:26 PM EDT
For the M16A2/AR-15A2, the maximum effective range is 550 meters according to the military manuals.  Why then does the rear sight elevation wheel go up to 800 meters?  HHHuuummm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the maximum effective range at an area target is 800 [;)]

I think [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
How come Kamakazi pilots wore helmets?  

Dunno about the 800m range,  seems a bit far out there,  with wind & drop I think you are at the end of the road on accuracy.  Unless your shooting a 24" BBL....  It could be done thats for sure..   But as for open sights & accuracy,  thats a good question.  

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Because the maximum effective range at an area target is 800 [;)]

I think [:D]
View Quote

I think he has it - say you were shooting at a jeep/tent or something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
In military trials, the M16A2 with SS109 ammo penetrated a kevlar helmet at 800 meters.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be wrong, but aren't there targets at 600+ yards in DCM competition...?

STP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey sniperWolf --- I disagree with your avatar saying.  I think I would rather run from a sniper and find a better spot to hide so I can shoot back with cover versus sitting there in the open dying happily non exhausted.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey sniperWolf --- I disagree with your avatar saying.  I think I would rather run from a sniper and find a better spot to hide so I can shoot back with cover versus sitting there in the open dying happily non exhausted.  
View Quote

You don't shoot at what you can't see.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Good point!

Anywho, the USMC rifle team shoot their ARs out to 1,000 yards, so an 800 yard setting wouldn't suprise me.

Although, they do this with an AR with all the internal tricks and trades. Good shit. There is a video of them shooting on the USMC website.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

SniperW, you're kidding, right?

If I get shot at from a treeline I may not be able to see who did the shooting, but I'm sure as hell gonna shoot back in their general direction!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet 17 Year Old Girls !!!!! [bounce]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
550 meters at a point target (soldier, jeep, etc) or 800 meters at an area target (group of soldiers, tent, bunker, etc), with maximum range of 3534 meters. All that is remembered from basic training 8 years ago, see.....they brainwash.....err....taught us well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Why are the rear sight elevation adjustments 1 moa but the rear sight windage adjustments are 0.5 moa?   Hhhhuuuuummmm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

SniperW, you're kidding, right?

If I get shot at from a treeline I may not be able to see who did the shooting, but I'm sure as hell gonna shoot back in their general direction!
View Quote

Actually I was mostly just looking for a smartass remark. It seemed to fit the bill nicely. Although, if you were to fire off at a woodline, you probably wouldn't hit a thing. Besides, you have to factor in the range of a kill by a sniper vs. a normal battle rifle, so if you saw a shot from the treeline, the treeline will most likely be 600m or more away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why are the rear sight elevation adjustments 1 moa but the rear sight windage adjustments are 0.5 moa?   Hhhhuuuuummmm.
View Quote

Because a man, on average, is taller then he is wide, you will need the fine windage more then elevation.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Better to have sights that go to 800m on a rifle that can hit a point target a 550m than the other way around? :)

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Enfields are graduated out to 1500 meters for volley fire. It doesnt mean your gonna hit much but you might hit something.

My uncle was a Ranger in Vietnam. According to him its hard to hit for kills at 300+ yards (he had a M16A1 btw).

The USMC TM on M16s (A2) says that maximun range for hitting a person is 350 and area targets is 800.

[edit speeling]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
How about this for something that makes you guy hhhuuuummmm, I shot a Desert Eagle for the first time a year ago, and it was fairly new, it had been in my friend's possession for 3 weeks, and he let me try it at the range, it was the .50EA model by the way. On the fourth shot, it jammed, and it was not from crap ammo, it was as tough as if it was welded there, he had to return the gun. ever since, I have stayed away from the desert eagle and keltec stuff.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
The maximun effective range may be just over 500m, but when you have to shoot something at 800m, its good to know that you can.  They go that far just in case, but accuracy probably isn't the greatest with drop and wind.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
uh, why do drive thru automatic teller machines have braille writing on their keys?  HHHUUMMMM? and, why do drugstores make sick people walk all the way to the back for their prescriptions and healthy people can buy cigarettes and candy in the front?  what is the longest shot any of you have made with your AR's?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Sweet 17 year Old Girls make me go Hummmmm !! and a New AR15 every now and then !!!!! [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How about this for something that makes you guy hhhuuuummmm, I shot a Desert Eagle for the first time a year ago, and it was fairly new, it had been in my friend's possession for 3 weeks, and he let me try it at the range, it was the .50EA model by the way. On the fourth shot, it jammed, and it was not from crap ammo, it was as tough as if it was welded there, he had to return the gun. ever since, I have stayed away from the desert eagle and keltec stuff.
View Quote

Did you limp wrist it?  The one I shot was really particular on how it was held.  It would either FTF or FTE if you didn't hold it rock solid.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
uh, why do drive thru automatic teller machines have braille writing on their keys?  HHHUUMMMM? and, why do drugstores make sick people walk all the way to the back for their prescriptions and healthy people can buy cigarettes and candy in the front?  what is the longest shot any of you have made with your AR's?  
View Quote

My personal best at 600 yards is a 180-3X, taking the first one (a 10 I think).
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#24]
No, I was not limp wristing it, come on, I am not gay. I have fired a lot of handguns, and becasue it was a .50 caliber, I was really bracing myself. In all fairness, there was a lot of unfinished metal inside the slide that was supposedly catching the frame, and keeping it from moving, but that isn't the point, they sent him a gun that on the fourth shot of the magazine jammed, and he paid some rediculous amount like 1500 dollars for it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Of course Im not gonna argue about if you "need" a .50 cal handgun on this board (hehehe) but it does make me wonder. Im curious about how fast one can put aimed followup shots on target with one of these?

IMHO The best .45 is a 1911 and the best 9mm is a Hi-Power (my personal fav).
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
[center][blue][size=4]Unregistered 18 Year Old Female Human Virgins!
21 if Registered.[/size=4][/blue][/center]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#27]
The high no. of handicap parking spaces at the golf course and how do blind people know when they are done wiping?

Shabo
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The high no. of handicap parking spaces at the golf course and how do blind people know when they are done wiping?

Shabo
View Quote

With an experimental finger wipe of course. It's in coefficient of anal friction 102. Do none of you people READ?

To paraphrase: If it feels like LSA you ain't done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks. Now ill go throw up.

I have one thats been bugging me. Why does sauerkraut and mountain dew code red go well together?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#30]
That distance of shooting usually involves an entire platoon shooting at a specified target and luck plays a certain amount of a role because the bullet is lost so much velocity and wind will alter the point of impact dramatically
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#31]
The REAL way to avoid being shot by a sniper is to make sure that (no matter what your rank) you look like the biggest dirtbag private in the world.  Make sure your radioman looks like a 4 star general for additional sniper resistance.

[:)]
Alex
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top