Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 9:25:51 AM EDT
First and foremost I need a freakin work bench with a vise and good lighting. I assembled the lower and some of the upper hunched over the floor. I also need an extra set of arms because sometimes two just isn't enough. However, it all went together so far. As soon as I get a bench and vise I can install the barrel and we will be ready to rock. Aside from a few scratches on the lower receiver from where my punch slipped it came out ok. However, trying to hold a lower down with my body weight while tightening the castle nut is a pain, and entirely impossible when attempting to tighten a barrel nut. Pictures to follow eventually of the completed Zombie Hunter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:40:52 AM EDT
What I learned is dont do one since you will want to do more Im at 12 thank god they are not mine that is tooooo much money... I dont know why I need 3 ars and 3 ak.s and now Im doing a Galil its a sickness...Next Im eyeing a total custom Glock starting with a Timberwolf frame and lonewolf barrel, You can build your own Glock now from the top down....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:36:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2011 2:36:41 PM EDT by turp_dog]
If you can manage to wait a week you can use my setup. Otherwise, have fun dicking around on the floor and pissing your lady off
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:31:11 PM EDT
Great observation - Vise.  I think that is probably the most critical item.  I also recommend the AR-15 Critical Tool Kit from Brownells.  It's worth it's weight, and it makes the vise work properly.  I also agree that having a third arm with a hand would be nice.

I have since bought some other nice tools like good gunsmith punches (2 packs recommended)...One size to push in aand hold items, and the other to drive the pins.  It helps!  I would like to buy some roll pin holder punches, but I can't justify $40 for the little bit they would get used.  

I also think a good gun mat is also a huge help.  As I get more individual tools, the more I like the way the ARs go together.  

Rob
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:08 AM EDT
I pretty much have all the tools I need except for the vise. As I build the first one I figure out what would work better then a steel punch and brute force
Top Top