Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 9:25:51 AM EDT
First and foremost I need a freakin work bench with a vise and good lighting. I assembled the lower and some of the upper hunched over the floor. I also need an extra set of arms because sometimes two just isn't enough. However, it all went together so far. As soon as I get a bench and vise I can install the barrel and we will be ready to rock. Aside from a few scratches on the lower receiver from where my punch slipped it came out ok. However, trying to hold a lower down with my body weight while tightening the castle nut is a pain, and entirely impossible when attempting to tighten a barrel nut. Pictures to follow eventually of the completed Zombie Hunter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#1]
What I learned is dont do one since you will want to do more Im at 12 thank god they are not mine that is tooooo much money... I dont know why I need 3 ars and 3 ak.s and now Im doing a Galil its a sickness...Next Im eyeing a total custom Glock starting with a Timberwolf frame and lonewolf barrel, You can build your own Glock now from the top down....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can manage to wait a week you can use my setup. Otherwise, have fun dicking around on the floor and pissing your lady off
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Great observation - Vise.  I think that is probably the most critical item.  I also recommend the AR-15 Critical Tool Kit from Brownells.  It's worth it's weight, and it makes the vise work properly.  I also agree that having a third arm with a hand would be nice.

I have since bought some other nice tools like good gunsmith punches (2 packs recommended)...One size to push in aand hold items, and the other to drive the pins.  It helps!  I would like to buy some roll pin holder punches, but I can't justify $40 for the little bit they would get used.  

I also think a good gun mat is also a huge help.  As I get more individual tools, the more I like the way the ARs go together.  

Rob
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I pretty much have all the tools I need except for the vise. As I build the first one I figure out what would work better then a steel punch and brute force
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top