Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/17/2004 12:20:59 PM EST
I have never bought them, but I am just curious if the company made it, if the molds are still around etc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:14:50 PM EST
Hopefully some one has or will buy the molds and produce 30 and 20rd AR mags in different colors. I would love to have 10-20 in tan, 10 in coyote, 10 in black and a few in other colors. I have three thermolds right now that have had several cases of ammo through them and not one mag failure yet!

Iso
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:29:03 PM EST
yeah different colors would be nice
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:33:33 PM EST
who knows

i would get some, if the prices were competative with usgis
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:36:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:08:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
I love easily cracked magazines.

Easily cracked? Never had that problem, even ran one over w/ my Isuzu one time, it survived (which is more than I can say about a nalgene bottle that was hit buy a slow moving jeep on a gravel road, shatter proof my ass) and it still works I think, I can’t tell it apart from all the rests. The thing that made me dislike the plastic mags was how they would not drop quickly or not drop at all. Now if they made some that were slicker then I would gladly get some. And green, that’s my color.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:03:43 AM EST
Wake up man!Thermolds are the best mags out there.AR-15,MINI-30,MINI -14.hELL SO MANY VARIATIONS.Basically any synthetic magazine is beter than any steel or alumnium mag out there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:09:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By wulf004:
Wake up man!Thermolds are the best mags out there.AR-15,MINI-30,MINI -14.hELL SO MANY VARIATIONS.Basically any synthetic magazine is beter than any steel or alumnium mag out there.

no that is not true at all, Thermolds are good mags but they are not better than USGI or even close. I dont know where you got your facts from but you are mistaken.

I hope you were kidding
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:31:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By wulf004:

Thermolds are good mags but they are not better than USGI aluminum mags. I use my Thermolds for range work every now and then and have never had a problem but if the S ever HTF I would be inserting USGI mags only.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:44:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 1:47:08 PM EST by RAMBOSKY]
I've used them over the years..............get dirt around them and they get scared up. God forbid you take them to a place that has a lot of sand. Why do you thing Canada got rid of theirs?

For range queen work they're fine...........for the serious operator get USGI.

It hurts me to say that becaue they were made in Wilson, NC.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:15:42 PM EST
They always worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:20:52 PM EST
Isn't D&D INC out of business? They were the one's making them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:32:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By RAMBOSKY:
Why do you thing Canada got rid of theirs?
]

Well, as I recall from service, they could not handle the cold very well, -30 or more and they broke pathetically easy...

Of course I have 12 for summer use, and USGI and and Brit mags for all other seasons
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:41:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 2:44:06 PM EST by booger-hooker]
Never had a problem with Thermolds and like the fact that they don't scratch up the inside of a magwell like USGI can. Plus my orange thermold is an attention getter when you take it to the range.

If they were to be made again I would definately buy more for my AC556 as well as for the Mini-30, I have plenty for my AR but would be tempted if the price was right to get some more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:03:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 9:09:42 PM EST by G22]
I just got a few apparently new Thermold 30rd mags.

All I did was drop one on the desk and the bottom plate sprung out. I put it back in and the plastic piece that snaps in to hold it in place broke off. Garbage now unless I can get a new floor plate.

The other mag is fine, and although a Thermold... looks different and thicker than the other.

All our mags here are molested though, since they have to be plugged to 5rds. I have never had one decent looking mag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:38:52 AM EST
I like thermold. They're hella-cool looking for taking pictures, and function well. Better than orlites, at any rate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:49:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 12:49:51 AM EST by Winston_Wolf]

Everyone should buy them by the dozen.

... + several

... why trust your life to sub-standard "cool looking", weak link, plastic magazines?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:54:31 AM EST
OK, so after the pissing contest, no one knows. We'll see, and I am sticking with $11 to $16 USGI, but I want to know my options and the prices. Also, if they got the tool up and running it would just help flood the market with more cheap hi caps, which is good for everyone. Keeps the prices of the USGIs down etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:55:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By booger-hooker:
...they don't scratch up the inside of a magwell like USGI can.

Oh, Heaven forbid!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:36:10 AM EST
The US made Thermolds are pretty good. I have one.

For SHTF I would grab it.

Now I have heard bad things about Canadian Thermolds.....

CRC
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:41:00 AM EST
My Thermold that just broke (floor plate) says it is made in the US.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:43:10 AM EST
more specfically...

THERMOLD
D. & D. INC.
WILSON, N.C.
U.S.A.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:57:27 AM EST

Originally posted by GTZ: "..................OK, so after the pissing contest, no one knows. ...........

I know, but I can't tell, it's classified information.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:55:06 PM EST
I would take a Thermold over a GI mag ANY DAY. As a matter of fact, its ALL I USE. I will buy all you got if you dont like'em.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:56:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1776:
I would take a Thermold over a GI mag ANY DAY. As a matter of fact, its ALL I USE. I will buy all you got if you dont like'em.

+1

Canadian pieces---semi junk, and I can see why they were d/c'd by the Armed Forces.

Desert use for the NC built pieces? Don't know. Don't care. Had my desert war in Sinai, 1956, and the M98 Mauser I had then worked just fine

North Georgia dirt doesn't bother my Thermolds at all, and these days that's all I care about

So you GI mag lovers just keep on buying those pieces of aluminum. You know, the ones that keep breaking the floorplate tabs when you try to strip them for cleaning,and cracking the feed lips after 5 or 6 uses?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:07:46 PM EST

Everyone should buy them by the dozen.

+1, I love crack too!

I've only had a couple Thermolds. IIRC, I never used em as they seemed to be a solution seeking a problem. USGI is king.

As to the question, it sounds as if the military market isn't there... So if a private co. decided to bring them to the table, it would be a strictly civilian marketing ploy and we all now how there just isn't a sunstainable firearms market in the civilian sector. (Think HK and Colt there)

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:08:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By shamayim:

Originally Posted By 1776:

+1

Canadian pieces---semi junk, and I can see why they were d/c'd by the Armed Forces.

Desert use for the NC built pieces? Don't know. Don't care. Had my desert war in Sinai, 1956, and the M98 Mauser I had then worked just fine

North Georgia dirt doesn't bother my Thermolds at all, and these days that's all I care about

So you GI mag lovers just keep on buying those pieces of aluminum. You know, the ones that keep breaking the floorplate tabs when you try to strip them for cleaning,and cracking the feed lips after 5 or 6 uses?

I have never had a problem with any GI mag, although the finishes were not the greatest.

Like I said, the floor plate (plastic tab that snaps in and holds it in) on one of my apparently NEW THERMOLDS... made in the US... BROKE.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:14:33 PM EST
Perhaps some duct tape will hold this POS new plastic Thermold together for a while.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:27:10 PM EST
I sure hope they make new ones.....

More USGI mags for me!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:22:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By CavVet:
I sure hope they make new ones.....

More USGI mags for me!

Oh, yes... I'd like to get in on that! (There's always more than one way to skin a cat, eh?)

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:26:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By G22:

Like I said, the floor plate (plastic tab that snaps in and holds it in) on one of my apparently NEW THERMOLDS... made in the US... BROKE.

I am sure you can find an equal or worse story about a GI mag. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:52:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 5:52:58 AM EST by Shooter521]
I have 8 US-made Thermolds that I use interchangeably with USGI. They took a couple hundred cycles to get broken in (basically the bolt shaves any flashing, etc, off the feed lips) but since then have been 100% reliable. I would rate their durability on par with or better than USGI; if you drop a Therm on a hard surface, you're not gonna dent it or bend a feed lip. Never had any issues with cracking or warping from temperature extremes or leaving 'em loaded, or with floorplates spontaneously departing. They performed admirably in Pat Rogers' carbine course a couple months ago. Follower is already of an anti-tilt design, so no upgrades needed. Only thing I don't like about 'em is that I can't get two per pouch in my Spectergear chest rig, like I can with USGIs.

The Mag FAQ says: "Thermold magazines were developed by Master Molder in Wilson, South Carolina, and were pitched to the US military as a replacement to aluminum USGI mags, but the US military was unable to come to an agreement with the owner."

If they had been adopted, something tells me the "if it's not USGI, it's crrrrrrrrap" crowd would be singing a different tune.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:21:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:38:54 PM EST
When I was stationed down in Arizona it was much more pleasant on the hand when you reached down and grabbed a Thermold in the hot Arizona sun than a USGI mag. I enjoy using both types of mags and that's what is great about this entire situation...we HAVE a choice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:59:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Troy:
If they HAD been adopted, they would have been dropped again, just like the Canadians did with theirs and just like Israel did with their Orlites. Everyone comes back to USGI mags, and for good reason.

-Troy

If they HAD been adopted, they WOULD BE USGI so there goes your USGI thingy. Canadians didnt use the same thermolds as we do. Israel using orlites is not even the same as a thermold.

What you trying to get at?

Please elaborate.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:21:31 AM EST
Yeah, they really suck. Crappy mags. Please don't buy them.

As a matter of fact, they are a danger to the AR-15 community as a whole. Any of you guys that have them need to get rid of them!

I'll tell you what; I'm going to take a BIG HIT here for the good of the AR15.com family and I will replace any Thermold 30rnd mag with a USGI mag in like condition. Yeah, I know I'm crazy, but I just really want to help everyone out and get these crappy mags off the market so no one else is in danger of getting ripped off. Please IM me if you have evil thermolds you want to replace with USGI.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:13:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 5:15:17 PM EST by shamayim]

Originally Posted By Troy:
If they HAD been adopted, they would have been dropped again, just like the Canadians did with theirs and just like Israel did with their Orlites. Everyone comes back to USGI mags, and for good reason.

-Troy

C'mon, Troy. When you're talking about Orlites and Canadian Thermolds, you're not talking about the same mags as the NC made Thermolds.

And by the way, noticed anything strange about the pics of Israeli aluminum mags lately? More and more of them are sporting plastic bases, held in by screws in the side walls, to replace the metal floorplates made unusable by broken floor plate tabs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:05 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:51:15 PM EST
So where can I track down two new ones? One for testing , one for the collection.
Top Top