Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:43 AM EDT
I have replaced my standard handguards with a quad rail system, also added a Wilson Combat veritcal foregrip, and a Nitrolon Surefire light.   The front end is a bit heavy now, and the balance is far more forward now.  Are there any special type of weights that can be put in the buffer tube on my collapsable stock?  Or should I just deal with this?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It's good, prevents knock back when you go on full auto.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the ACE SOCOM stock, which is a little heavier and will bring the balance back a bit. Otherwise, you could try attaching helium-filled balloons to your bayonette lug.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]
what's your barrel like?
If it could be turned down under the handguards, etc..
cut down to 14.5 inches, etc...
if you've already done all this... sorry to be Captain Obvious.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
MAGPUL M93S stock
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a 14.5 inch Bushy barrel with a mini y comp.   The aluminum quad rail system was a bit heavier than I expected.  It rocks none the less, but will take some time to get use to.   I notice it the most when it comes to mag changes.  Since I have been taught to never remove your master hand from the pistol grip/trigger,  when I go to change magazines, the gun almost flips forward because of how heavy the front end is...  I thought maybe there were weights than can replace the stock/standard weight that is in the buffer tube.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I suspect heavier is rarely better.
No one in the history of the world ever thought their rifle was too light.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a thought...

just attach the light to the HG for those "missions" where you need it.

That is what I do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Good point.....  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Look at the ACE SOCOM stock, which is a little heavier and will bring the balance back a bit. Otherwise, you could try attaching helium-filled balloons to your bayonet lug.

Bayonet lug?  Oh my.    

The evil bayonet lug.  

Don't talk about it or you'll have to grind it off.  Then were will you attach your helium-filled balloons?  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Lift more weights.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lift more weights.

LOL!!!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is the same way I don't mind it at all because I can rip off 3,4,5...10 rounds and the gun don't bounce around on me, course the Y-comp helps with that too. I'm still debating if I want to get rid of the y-comp for a phantom 5C2 or not. Though the 5C2 on my other AR(formerly refered to as the pre-ban) is really nice in the compensating dept. It's almost on pare with the y-comp IMO. not exactly the same but close enough I'm thinking.

I'd live with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mine is the same way I don't mind it at all because I can rip off 3,4,5...10 rounds and the gun don't bounce around on me, course the Y-comp helps with that too. I'm still debating if I want to get rid of the y-comp for a phantom 5C2 or not. Though the 5C2 on my other AR(formerly refered to as the pre-ban) is really nice in the compensating dept. It's almost on pare with the y-comp IMO. not exactly the same but close enough I'm thinking.

I'd live with it.

Go with the Phantom.  I didn`t realize how much difference there was (in sound and knocking things down around you) until I switched and then shot them side by side.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I can understand the benefits of the Phantom, but I have been tied up on this decision.   I can shoot so dang accurately with the Mini Y.  Accuracy to me is more important than a flash suppressor that might throw me off a bit.   Anyone experience this??  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are careful not to damage the Y-Comp during removal, you may be able to reinstall it in the future (but now it won't have to be permanent). This way, you could "John Kerry" back and forth between the Y-Comp and the Phantom to see which you like better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd live with it.

Go with the Phantom.  I didn`t realize how much difference there was (in sound and knocking things down around you) until I switched and then shot them side by side.

Steve

I was shooting them side by side yesterday, I honestly can't make up my mind, I think I'll end up with another phantom though, but I'm waiting till after I get done taking a class in Oct to do anything. $$ is a little tight otherwise I'd change out the A1 for an A3 and add a YHM lightweight specter length forend and use that for the class. But instead I'll use the one I got set up right now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Is the recoil much more noticeable from the Phantom versus the Mini Y?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is the recoil much more noticeable from the Phantom versus the Mini Y?  

No not really. I'd really like to know though what the CQB set up would be like with the phantom, being that it is heavier than the other one. The gun with the phantom has a A1upper with 16in Hbar.  I'd say they are neck and neck really. Granted yesterday I was sighting in for hog hunting(which ain't gunna happen now) so I was shooting off the bench.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just a thought...

just attach the light to the HG for those "missions" where you need it.

That is what I do.

It has its merits, but the setback is that that ONE "mission" you actually DO need the light you will not be used to the feel because you had forsaken it all those other times. I suggest you counterbalance the stock (as you considered earlier), suck it up, or ditch the extra weight in the front for good.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top