Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 8:04:39 PM EDT
I found it about 7 days ago but the usual suspects found it within the last couple of days.

GB# 679852057  the auction is over

The 602 holy grail

I was not worthy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
don't 602 uppers usually have a triangular type charging handle?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It was the barrel and cast FSB that was the find.

The upper receiver was inconsequential
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see a 12 marking?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It was/is/SHOULD be a 601 1/14 twist barrel.  None of the other parts were early, with the exception of the handguards that MIGHT be type "C" 602 handguards.  I was the second highest bidder, but decided to stop bidding because the barrel looked pretty rough on the OUTSIDE, and there was no indication of how the barrel looked on the INSIDE.  On top of that, the sale was "As is - no returns" and it wasn't worth the risk to me.  If I didn't currently have an extra 601 barrel and NEEDED one, I might have gone higher.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It does look pretty rough.

Its 55 years old, I'd love to know its story!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It LOOKS like a homebuilt upper from the 70's using the cheapest surplus parts AT THE TIME.  I do not think that the military would have put that particular combination of parts together.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It LOOKS like a homebuilt upper from the 70's using the cheapest surplus parts AT THE TIME.  I do not think that the military would have put that particular combination of parts together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had to guess it was probably one of the commercial parts kit guns of the 80s. I bought an AR a few years ago locally on a Sendra lower with a PM upper, SP1 carrier, and VP12 barrel. I think the old Sendra Corp bought anything they could as cheap as possible from .gov surplus sales and built them into ARs.

So I would venture that someone found something similar, sold the pre ban lower off, and was selling the upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I might have paid 750  for it but dayum

I would have never figured it to go that high. I need a 602 barrel and FSB but I will keep scrounging.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I might have paid 750  for it but dayum

I would have never figured it to go that high. I need a 602 barrel and FSB but I will keep scrounging.
View Quote
A 601 barrel in NICE condition usually sells in the $1200 to $2000 range. In THAT condition, I really don't know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
In nice condition or better I get it but that was a pretty rough barrel.

I called the seller and he would not say anything about the bore than it was  not pitted.

I would have been fine with a shot out bore as a place holder for my 602 build but I would think at that price it should still have some service to it.

This is what makes this hobby fun - the search and uncertainty of the find.

Well on to the next search
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine doesn't. My original 602 upper receiver is rounded in the back...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine, too.  Late 602 uppers appear to have come with the later charging handles and even (I believe) rectangular pad port doors.
Unfortunately, I don't believe we've found one of these on a complete, original rifle yet, so there have been debates on whether they were actually late 602s or very early 604s. 
My position--which will remain until someone can show a documented original Model 04 with an engraved arrow--is that the engraved arrow is the defining attribute of a 602 upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny how stuff no one wanted back in the 80's is gold now, actually later than the 80's, I used to pick up retro stuff on E-bay for next to nothing, before they went anti gun crazy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember that. It was a whole lot of fun back then in the pre PayPal days
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]
That barrel could use some TLC from John Thomas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Funny how stuff no one wanted back in the 80's is gold now, actually later than the 80's, I used to pick up retro stuff on E-bay for next to nothing, before they went anti gun crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

during the panic i was still buying complete 603 uppers (from my guy at the gun shows) minus bcg and charging handles for $350. mid panic they had gone to $450 and before the panic was over they were no where to be found. hell i bought an "lm" 603 upper with a 7" kitty kat barrel and free float tube assembled for $175 "'cause noone wants these old uppers anymore" (this was also during the panic). i added a dpms bcg and she runs like a sewing machine (a very loud sewing machine).
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I called the seller and he would not say anything about the bore than it was  not pitted.
I would have been fine with a shot out bore as a place holder for my 602 build but I would think at that price it should still have some service to it.
View Quote
Yeah, the more I think about it, I am REALLY glad that I got outbid.  I was hoping to purchase it in the $800 price range and got caught up in the emotional component of bidding.  Now, with a more rational head, I seruously doubt that it was worth what I bid, ESPECIALLY in that condition.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
You and me

See you on the next one
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, the more I think about it, I am REALLY glad that I got outbid.  I was hoping to purchase it in the $800 price range and got caught up in the emotional component of bidding.  Now, with a more rational head, I seruously doubt that it was worth what I bid, ESPECIALLY in that condition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it happens.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I tried to find that auction online but couldn't. I see the 602 upper is still up for sale. Most specimens out there are in poor shape. Better off converting an SP1. It will look just like a 602 but better. The hardest part is the FSB. Would be cool if someone could do reproction cast colt copy FSB.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top