User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2003 12:21:00 PM EDT
Has any body tried the AR 47?

www.ar47.com/index.html
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Being that it's a receiver, I would imagine you could only use this on post-ban weapons.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't this one of Toad's special ed weapons projects?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I emailed "Michaels Machines" and this is the reply I got back/

$325 for stripped lower.
$75 for mods to your upper and carrier.
Ready for devilery in stock.
Turn around on mods about a week.
They work awesome!
Thanks,Mike

But has anybody shot one yet?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
interesting to say the very least.
too expensive to just try out for the heck of it though.

maybe if the lower was cheaper and you didnt have to modify any thing else i'd do it.  but otherwise....nah.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems like an answer to a question that nobody asked.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
why not just get a sks?

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
That just aint right!  If you have to have the 7.62 x 39 round, get a Romanian SAR-1 for less money and have a ball.  If you crave the AR look with a .30 cal round, get the AR-10.

Nope...It just aint right!!!

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
For a semi, I can't say I really see the point.  There are good AK variants that will be much better shooters.  But I don't think his main market is the semi auto shooter.  For the price of the lower, the mods, and a 7.62x39 upper to go on it, you can get a top quality AK.  I think his main market is those who have a RDIAS or RLL to legally convert it to full auto.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to mention steel mags going into an Aluminum reciever...I don't like the Brit SA90/M16 mags either
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking into it. This guy's about a half hour from my house. Maybe i can get a demo shoot or sometihng and report back. very interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The sight of that mag in an AR (modified or not) always makes me cringe. Granted, this looks slightly better than a Colt 7.62 x 39 lower with a Frankenmag, but Yeeech!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]www.ar47.com/images/rifle_mag.jpg[/img]

This make anybody else shudder??

Looks like a friggin paintball gun! Anybody 'member the old Spyder One?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

originally designed for special forces in afghanistan. they get to utilize the endless AK mags and ammo while maintainin the muscle memory from every day training on the m4/m16.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

originally designed for special forces in afghanistan. they get to utilize the endless AK mags and ammo while maintainin the muscle memory from every day training on the m4/m16.
View Quote

S.Chicken, are you saying this thing that's the topic of this discussion was "originally designed for special forces in afghanistan"  ??
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#16]
S.Chicken, are you saying this thing that's the topic of this discussion was "originally designed for special forces in afghanistan" ??
END

This is what I have heard through the grape vine as well.
PAT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The gun made for special forces in afghanistan was made by knights armament(SR47).  That one failed because it couldnt take the corrosive ammo.  This one is a SW clone! [rolleyes]
Ill keep my money.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Robinson Armament is also working on a gun for the S.F. that takes AK-47 mags.

It looks interesting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
S.Chicken, are you saying this thing that's the topic of this discussion was "originally designed for special forces in afghanistan" ??
END

This is what I have heard through the grape vine as well.
PAT
View Quote

PAT,
we gotta get us some new vines !!

This 'thing' in this topic is trotted out every three or four weeks for what-ever reason but it had nothing to do with the the XX-47 that Crane was considering for Special Ops.

The Special Ops XX-47 was, in fact and please note 'was', developed by Knight's just as "C5TT" notes above.  That project is and has been dead.

SMV notes accurately that Robinson is looking into an XX-47 project and that project 'might' go some where as Robinson is using Gene Stoner's old Stoner 62 design (NO, not the Stoner 63 as that came one year later)as a base.  Of all the possibilities out there - and NONE of them look good - Robinson might well be the best.  

Truth is the Special Ops community is no longer even warm on any of these projects.  Knight's has in the past developed guns, tested them on the civilian market, corrected deficiencies and then gone after the military.  I don't know whether they might go in that direction with their SR-47 project or not.  I would 'guess' not.  ArmaLite took a look at an AR-10-47 and backed away.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I picked up the first completed AR47 from Todd the other day. I'm going to take it out to the range this weekend to put it through it's pace's. For those of you who are in the Phx AZ area, I'll be out at Ben Avery's on Saturday after 9am with the AR47 and a few of my other guns. Come on out and give it a test fire for yourself! It would be great to meet some of the local members!

I'll be the guy with the AR47!  Bring your own ammo!!

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Vipez,

Do you work for Todd?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#22]
sorry, i should have been more clear. C5TT and 5subslr5 are right, it was the Knights SR-47 that i was talking about. d'oh! [:I]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
That thing looks retarded. [%|]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Vipez,

Do you work for Todd?
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vipez,

Do you work for Todd?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

Todd Bailey, the owner/founder of Special Weapons and all it's little subsidiaries.

I just want to know WHO we're getting our range review from, an independent shooter, or someone with a stake in the AR47....
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vipez,

Do you work for Todd?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

Todd Bailey, the owner/founder of Special Weapons and all it's little subsidiaries.

I just want to know WHO we're getting our range review from, an independent shooter, or someone with a stake in the AR47....
View Quote

HKocher,
I understood and was simply echoing your unanswered question.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

HKocher,
I understood and was simply echoing your unanswered question.

5sub
View Quote

Whoops, sorry, I'm a little slow some days...
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry for the late reply, been stuck at work all night.  To answer your question, no I do not work for Todd.  I just wanted to simply invite anyone to come out and help me break in this baby and to let me know what they think.  I'm some what new to the AR world and thought this would be a cool piece for my collection.  I have yet to see anything like this, I've talked to a couple of guys who are into ARs and they convinced me to give it a try.  

So you quit your X-Files suspicions and come out and shoot!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I think its great! the More AR variances the better.....The nay sayers must be primadonna bling bling purists......
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Hello All!

Well I went out and popped off about 700 rounds of Wolf JHPs today through the AR47.  The rifle is a really solid gun, very well balanced.  The AK mag is a little longer than the AR mags so it takes a little getting used to holding the forearm a little further forward.

Once I was able to sight in the rifle, accuracy was great, I was shooting between 25 and 50 yards.  I am in no means a great rifle shooter, but I was making about 2 inch groups, I'm sure the rifle is much more accurate than I am!!

The rifle did have a few FTFs but not a single FTEs; at first I thought there was something wrong with the way the rifle feeds, however after talking to a few of the range guys, we started to suspect the surplus AK mag.  The spring wasn't pushing up the rounds fast enough or something, I took the mag apart and stretched out the spring and it started shooting fine.  I only had the one mag, I tried looking for someone at the range who had one but no such luck.  Once the spring started to wear down, the FTFs started again.  I am also wondering if the JHPs had something to do with the FTFs.  I will have to try some normal round nose rounds.

The forearm does tend to heat up a bit faster than my M4 when running as fast as you can pull the trigger.  I had a couple of people show up to pull the trigger, most people who shot it didn't think it was too bad of a rifle, recoil is mild, the noise isn't that bad either.

I'm going to track down some new or fairly new AK mags and try it again.  I think I might check around for a stronger buffer spring too.  Hopefully next time I'll get to meet a few board members.  I still have another 250-400 rounds left to squeeze off.  I had to stop at 700 or so because I got tired of loading the one mag.

I'm happy with the rifle, it performed well, now comes the part I hate, cleaning my guns....
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#31]
For $1300 you could have bought four Romanian AKs that will feed anything. [rofl]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#32]
My lord, an AR-15 must have gotten drunk and taken an AK-47 home with it...9 months later, the AR-47 was born! [:O]

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I still think that for this lower to be a success we really need someone to convert the upper to a piston based system, idealy with an adjustable Gas block of some sort.

The 7.62x39 cartridge is great because of the cheap surplus ammo.  Cheap surplus ammo will make a mess out of this rifle in no time!  This is why KACs system was discontinued... the Stoner gas operated system just isn't designed for this...

Personally, I like the concept but I also like my SAR-1 that will do the same thing BETTER and it only cost me under $300 new!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Personally, I like the concept but I also like my SAR-1 that will do the same thing BETTER and it only cost me under $300 new!

View Quote

Yep !!

That's the problem with one of the major manufacturers making a true AK-type weapon.  How do they compete with guns like the SAR-1, 2 & 3 at around $300 ???  Knight's took the first look and passed, ArmaLite looked and passed............
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top