Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 7:48:34 PM EDT
Please list the most (or second most if you cannot decide) accurate commercial ammo you've found that is in current production.

1-What was the ammo?

2-What average size were the groups?

3-How many rounds were in those groups?

4- Have you shot a fair amount of other brands/loads to compare to?

EDIT: 223/556 only

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't mean to diminish the value of the technical analysis done by some of the members. Obviously, their work is much appreciated by all. However, I'm not particularly in love with numbers and charts. What I like to see are the experiences of members who have found accurate commercial loads when fired out of garden variety ARs.

Just show me the holes, tell me the distance, and what AR you used to put them there.

Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
FGGM 69gr BTHPs have been extremely accurate in all of my 1/9's & 1/7's...

I hear Black Hills makes the cream of the crop off the shelf match stuff though....

I don't quite understand why the FGGM 223s are priced so high while the FGGM 308 stuff I can get for under a buck a round...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Top loads in my  2 LMT 14.5 M4`s

Black Hills Blue Box 77gr
Black Hills White box 5.56mm 77gr MATCH HP

Bushmaster 20hbar
Federal 69gr BTHP  a SMK bullet

The last case of BH Blue 75gr I can get it to group as well as BH 77 smk
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Since I reload I do NOT buy match grade ammo. But here a few groups that were very interesting through my LW50 barrel. Notice  the PPU M855 puts 4 rounds almost touching, but the fifth opens up the group. Very impressive for a milspec round.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Here some data I've collect over a couple years:

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Wow that's a lot of info, thanks!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Hornady 75Gn BTHP & Black Hills 52Gn HP
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Most accurate for me was Hornady Varmint Express 55 gr V-Max.

Avg. 0.5 MOA @100yds. 5 shot groups.  Haven't got out ot 200 yet.

Black HIlls with 68 gr Hornady Match was a close second
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had good results with various V-Max rounds.   The best for me is Fiocchi V-Max 50.   Consistently average 1 MOA or better 5-shot groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]

That is a lot of information and very helpful but the controls aren't very controlled. There are different firing positions, different number of rounds in groups, different distances, and different weather conditions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
My Colt A4gery build with a 20" Sabre 1:7" chrome-lined barrel likes Black Hills red box 75gr OTM best. 5-shots into a hair less than an inch @ 100y, from a bench, with friggin' irons, nearly every time.

I had no idea I could shoot that well, and am constantly surprised whenever I break into my BH stash.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Believe it or not the American eagle 63 grain SP shoots awesome in my guns. I mean like 3/4 inch at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is a lot of information and very helpful but the controls aren't very controlled. There are different firing positions, different number of rounds in groups, different distances, and different weather conditions.

Data is data. Also just because my Larue likes 77gr SSA doesn't mean anything because someone else's stealth might like 55 gr fiocchi better. I collect my data for my own reference and when a thread like this pops up I generally share the info to maybe give someone an idea of a few different rounds they might want to try.

I have a cz 452 and everyone says they shoot dead nuts with wolf MT. Mine doesn't care for it but shoots fed automatch 1/2 MOA. Every barrel has its own favorite but it's nice to know where to start to find it
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Data is data. Also just because my Larue likes 77gr SSA doesn't mean anything because someone else's stealth might like 55 gr fiocchi better. I collect my data for my own reference and when a thread like this pops up I generally share the info to maybe give someone an idea of a few different rounds they might want to try.

I have a cz 452 and everyone says they shoot dead nuts with wolf MT. Mine doesn't care for it but shoots fed automatch 1/2 MOA. Every barrel has its own favorite but it's nice to know where to start to find it

Absolutely. I always seem to get barrels that for no particular reason love or hate loads.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Out of my BushMaster I always had good luck with Win. 5.56
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top