Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:04:20 AM EDT
I am building my second rifle, a flat top, and I need advice as to make it as light as possible. What I still need are:
Barrel
Free-floated foregrip (no fancy rails or anything needed)
Anything else that can reduce weight

I have been looking at Houges foreend, as well as Bushmasters V-match. Does anyone know the weights to these or if there are any that are lighter? Front sight is not necessary as it will be scoped with no irons.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:32:20 AM EDT
For the barrel, you could get a Bushy Superlight. It is in a pencil barrel configuration and would be right at home on a LW build.

The Houge FF tube will also be pretty light. It'd be hard to get much lighter than that unless you cut vent holes in it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:19:28 PM EDT
what about a ballon in the pistal grip and stock filled to the max with some lighter then air gas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:24:48 PM EDT
Teknic has some nice FF carbon fiber foregrips.... The barrel depends on what you want it to do. I've done some LW builds with a SS barrel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:47:38 PM EDT
You could get a Bushmaster carbon 15 lower receiver to save some weight. I don't completely trust the upper receivers they make as of yet, and I have some misgivings about the lowers itself. Mainly the trigger guard being a part of the lower itself. I talked to Bushmaster about a week ago, and they said they would sell the stripped lower by itself for just under 180.
Then you could get one of those carbon fiber wrapped barrels that are being listed in the EE and going mainstream this month. Kind of expensive, but you'd really knock the weight down and have something durable.
PRI carbon fiber free float tube would be pretty slick.

I'm waiting to see how the carbon fiber wrapped barrels pan out after the group buy gets them before picking one up myself. My plans are to use one along with the carbon 15 lower to keep the weight down on a bug out gun.

My overall goal is to make it so any accessories I add don't turn it into an overweight pig.
-Steve
Top Top