Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 11:42:42 AM EDT
Hi am a firm believer of Aimpoint products. So much of a believer that I own three Aimpoint comp Ms(ML2,M2,M3). So it came as a huge suprise when my Aimpoint Comp M3 took a shit on me while I was explaining its ruggedness to a bunch of police officers I was shooting with.  They were looking into aquiring reflex sights for there swat carbines.

Heres what happened I was at about 300rounds into the day when my reticle started twinkling like a star and died. I thought it might be the battery so I changed it. Its not the battery it the sight. None of the middle setting work with the Aimpoint none. The night vision setting function and the two brightest setting function but none of the middle settings work they just twinkle and die. the sight will let you see the reticle for a second and then it dies like the sight is f$%^&g with me.  

I bought this Aimpoint from Grant at the same time I ordered one for a friend who is back in Iraq should I warn him to replace the sight or send it in so it doesnt possibly get him killed I am a little concerned now.
Also anyone deal with Aimpoint Customer service. I am hopping to get the sight fixed by aimpoint, but their rep was a little unclear about anything else besides a horrible need by him and another company rep who want this sight sent back ASAP. Basically I was told that this problem is unheard of and that because it is an M3 it is a immediate priority to examine the sight in detail.

I also need the new American division of aimpoints mailing address because the old AR address is wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the well known Aimpoint dirty switch contacts. I had a friend whos M2 died the same way when it was practically new. I've had two do the same thing. There is a quick fix, but I'd suggest that you just send it to Aimpoint and let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like the well known Aimpoint dirty switch contacts. I had a friend whos M2 died the same way when it was practically new. I've had two do the same thing. There is a quick fix, but I'd suggest that you just send it to Aimpoint and let them deal with it.

So what's the "quick fix"?  might be nice to know if you are in a position where you can't send it back to Aimpoint and wait for them to fix it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
what is the serial number.  maybe there are a bad batch out there
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So what's the "quick fix"?  might be nice to know if you are in a position where you can't send it back to Aimpoint and wait for them to fix it.

Agreed. What is the "quick fix"? Having the knowledge in your bag o' tricks is always a good thing. So what is the procedure?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Removing the brightness knob (allen screw), then carefully removing the switch (hex nut) without allowing it to spin and flushing the internals of the switch from the backside. The contacts get dirty/oxidized. Work the switch back and forth thru several full cycles before the cleaner evaporates. I used LPS Zero Tri because standard contact cleaner evaporates to fast and condenses moisture inside the switch. The Aimpoint has no nitrogen charge, BTW.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If you try this, just hope that it works, cause if it doesn't and you send it back to Aimpoint they won't fix it cause it's been tampered with. I don't think that they have a repair facility in VA. They may still be sending them to Sweden for repair, which takes about 3-4 weeks. So, how bad do you want it fixed? Quick fix or warranty repair. They will more than likely just replace it for you. Old protocol anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
It is human error, the switch was probably not soldered correctly, I doubt that there is a bad batch that everyone needs to worry about, I also dont understand why they were so concerned because it is an M3 when there is no difference in the technology between it and the M2. The old AR address is our address, we resigned from Aimpoint last year, the new address is

14103 Mariah Court
Chantilly, VA. 20151
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Removing the brightness knob (allen screw), then carefully removing the switch (hex nut) without allowing it to spin and flushing the internals of the switch from the backside. The contacts get dirty/oxidized. Work the switch back and forth thru several full cycles before the cleaner evaporates. I used LPS Zero Tri because standard contact cleaner evaporates to fast and condenses moisture inside the switch. The Aimpoint has no nitrogen charge, BTW.

Do not do this if your sight is under warranty, all it takes is one wrong tug and you can pull a wire loose from the diode or the battery housing, then you are fooked. If your sight goes tits up send it in for repair, we shot with irons a long time before red dots came out, you will live without it for 3-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought this Aimpoint from Grant at the same time I ordered one for a friend who is back in Iraq should I warn him to replace the sight or send it in so it doesnt possibly get him killed I am a little concerned now.
So because yours stopped you think his and the others in use are going to die? - quite dramatic

I am hopping to get the sight fixed by aimpoint, but their rep was a little unclear about anything else besides a horrible need by him and another company rep who want this sight sent back ASAP. Basically I was told that this problem is unheard of and that because it is an M3 it is a immediate priority to examine the sight in detail.
So you're upset that they're eager to take a look at it and see whats wrong with it?  You're right, Aimpoint's customer service does suck.

I also need the new American division of aimpoints mailing address because the old AR address is wrong.
You were on the phone with them werent you?

Quoted:

And what would you be basing THAT assumption on?  THIS is how bullshit internet rumors get started.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you guys will remember my first post, I suggested that the unit be returned to Aimpoint. Then, some folks wanted to know my fix (I've used it successfully twice). Ya'll don't get your panties in a bunch about the "voided warranty" stuff till you read my first post.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Well... That's it... Aimpoint Sucks...

Anyone want to buy a used ML2 that's over 3 years old with about 5K rd count thru it still on it's original Battery.....

Ya gotta love the internet..............

Should bought a Tacpoint........ (heh..heh)

OK, it broke... send it in... they'll fix it... end of story...

Move along people... nothing to see here....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So because yours stopped you think his and the others in use are going to die? - quite dramatic

I am hopping to get the sight fixed by aimpoint, but their rep was a little unclear about anything else besides a horrible need by him and another company rep who want this sight sent back ASAP. Basically I was told that this problem is unheard of and that because it is an M3 it is a immediate priority to examine the sight in detail.
So you're upset that they're eager to take a look at it and see whats wrong with it?  You're right, Aimpoint's customer service does suck.

Quoted:

And what would you be basing THAT assumption on?  THIS is how bullshit internet rumors get started.
serial# 11408 #885997 I am not saying aimpoints suck so you can lower your defenses.  What concerns me and what might escape your understanding is that this sight was purchased by me for a friend who is depending upon this sight to help him during a battle.

How horrible do you think I would feel if something I bought to help my friend ended up killing him. He is a lifelong friend of both me and my family.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]

How horrible do you think I would feel if something I bought to help my friend ended up killing him. He is a lifelong friend of both me and my family.

If he's cowitnessing with the iron sights, he will be fine even if the Aimpoint goes down.  The problem with any electronic gear is that it is subject to malfunctions like you've described.  His may have an altogether different problem waiting to spring.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

serial# 11408 #885997 I am not saying aimpoints suck so you can lower your defenses.  What concerns me and what might escape your understanding is that this sight was purchased by me for a friend who is depending upon this sight to help him during a battle.

Bloodmoon,

I am 99.9% certain that it is human error and the most likely cause is bad soldering, I used to work for the company, I have been to the plant in Sweden, I have built an Aimpoint (they put my name on it too, I will take a pic) anyway there is nothing to worry about with your buddys sight, the chances of his having the same problem as yours are very slim. We had a ton of switch problems with the old Comp M but that was fixed with the way the ground wire is attached to the switch in the M2.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top