Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 2:13:43 PM EDT
I just read the whole ammo oracle sight for the .223. I'd love to see something like it for the .308/7.62x51. I'm getting into high power - purchasing a Colt 6601 and I already have a SA M1A - and I'd love to get some good intel on the .308 as well.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe if you checked the various "Sniper X" sites like Snipers Hide, Sniper Country, and such?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
They have good info, but that oracle site was by far the best NON BIASED compliation of ammo knowledge...

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I'm shooting a crrent production Springfield Armory "loaded" M1A with a 1:11 twist. How does that twist rate, in a .308, translate? What is the magic weight that it needs as a minimum?

I've got a boat load of South African 147 gr stuff that is decently accurate but has exhibited some reliability issues. Best I have personally shot with it is a 4x6" 5 shot group at 200 yards, but that was at Thunder Ranch and doing everything right :)

I also have a fair amount of the Federal Gold Medal Match stuff - GM308M - 168 gr BTHP for my bolt gun, which loves the stuff.  How does that stack up for terminal performance?

I prefer the .308 as a round but man, that M1A gets heavy after a few hours (Ok, after a couple hours). I had a new found respect for the guys who hauled Garands and M-14s after a rifle class...
Made me REALLY glad I didn't bring my 14 lb bolt gun....

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Btt - still looking for a comprehensive .308 site!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
It is an amazing resource. Any chances of one for a .308
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is an amazing resource. Any chances of one for a .308

I'm sure if you slipped Troy, Brou, and Tat enough cash they would do one.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Troy (not like I would ever disagree with him when it comes to ammo advice anyway). The Hornady TAP 155 gr AMAX load is about as awesome as they get. But at times it can be extremely difficult to locate.

But there are readily available loads that are very similar. The various name brand loads such as Federal, Winchester and Black Hills which use the 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip also offer excellent terminal performance and accuracy. Either these or the 155 gr AMAX top the list for best terminal performance in this caliber.

Next would come the various loads using the 168-175 gr OTM bullets, as well as soft points. Keep in mind though that there is a range limit in which the OTM's will fragment.

And at the bottom is the various surplus and commercial FMJ.

Also, for penetration, loads like the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Nosler Partition are very good. Not only do they penetrate well and hold together well (due to their bonded nature), but they also offer controlled expansion.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
DocGKR on the Terminal Effects forum at Tactical Forums.com has posted a great deal of information on .308 terminal effects.

Just FYI , 150gr. Federal Ballistic Tip ammunition has been recommended as an alternative to the Hornady 155gr TAP. The Federal load is much easier to find and cheaper. Federal told me that they do add flash retardant to their 150 gr. NBT ammuntion.

If anyone needs a source, I know a dealer who carries the Hornady 155gr. TAP ammo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the 168 grain AMAX over the 155 because it tracks with my M3 turret. I'm working off of memeory but from Hornady's flier there was not that much difference between the two, a liitle more pen with the heavier bullet.

I would love to see the same oracle for .308. If you decide to do it let me know, I could send you some TAP ammo. I can get it at a very good price!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top