Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2006 3:10:39 PM EDT
I got to thinking today when I came home and had over 6,000 rds of 7.62x54R and 1440 rds of 5.56 and some other items sitting on my front porch.

Well actually the first thing I thought was "cool it's here and I beat the wife home"

Anyway, I've been buying thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo lately and am starting to wonder what the UPS man may be thinking of me. I have over 8,000 rounds coming in still this week.

Does anyone else worry that the UPS man may wonder if they're preparing for a war? Also I feel a bit bad making him haul all of this heavy ammo around and was wondering if anyone has left a present of sorts for the extra work their UPS man has put in for them?

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:15:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By umc:
Also I feel a bit bad making him haul all of this heavy ammo around and was wondering if anyone has left a present of sorts for the extra work their UPS man has put in for them?

Thoughts?

Huh? I thought it was "What can Brown do for you?". Simple, bring me more ammo. Lots more!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 3:28:49 PM EDT by fxntime]
Last time I offered the UPS guy his choice of pop. I have been an ordering fool the past year. Glad AIM put the ammo cans and crates in boxes. The SA308 is the most awkward cept for the tinned crates of Russkie AK ammo.

Hope to hell you arn't in my area with the same UPS guy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 3:31:43 PM EDT by PocketG]

Originally Posted By MisterC:

Also I feel a bit bad making him haul all of this heavy ammo around and was wondering if anyone has left a present of sorts for the extra work their UPS man has put in for them?

Thoughts?

Huh? I thought it was "What can Brown do for you?". Simple, bring me more ammo. Lots more!

Thats funny.............

I had the same thought when my UPS lady carried the first 1000 rounds with a nice smile, then 2 weeks later she carried 2000 rounds not with so much of a smile but a straight face. Then 1 month later another 1000 rounds and she had this look on her face like something is going on here Hell the last round she did not even say your welcome after I said thank you when she place them in my hands. But let me say this, she is a FOX...........
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:28:58 PM EDT
TTIWWP

He's doing his job, but if you have the same UPS guy all year long, leave him a case of beer on the porch for his troubles.

That would be cool.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:34:52 PM EDT
he has probally delivered a hell of alot more and worse things to other people, so dont even worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:00:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
Hope to hell you arn't in my area with the same UPS guy.

Yeah, no kidding

Originally Posted By MisterC:

ROTFLMAO!!

That is good.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
I take care of my mailman with an exspensive bottle of scotch every xmas, his favorite drink. In turn, he takes care of my shitload of packages I get every year. He does things for me he's really not suppose to, but he knows me, and that fact I grease the wheels don't hurt. He's a nice guy anyway.

My FFL tips UPS, Fedex and the mailman VERY well. He gets great service, they have his number for situations and emergencies.

It's worth it, trust me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:02:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VaughnT:
What can Brown do for you?

That so doesn't look like my 'Brown' guy.......

I would offer a lot more than a case of beer if it was.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:30:35 PM EDT
I feel your paiin, umc! Where they all like that, our economy would be booming like a mofo!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
My Brown delivery dude is cool, and I know that he knows what is in those heavy boxes marked ORM-D and "small caliber arms"... He just keeps leaving them on my front step under video surveliance!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:55:25 PM EDT
Well, just got an email that I have my first 4k of 7.62x39 on the way from The Sportsmans Guide. I'm excited about that as I've been waiting a bit even though this is sooner than expected but, that means one more big order for the UPS man this week. Not good.

I can't do it this month but maybe next month I'll try and be home on a day that he comes around and have a chat with him. Maybe I'll get a gift card for this week though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:56:42 PM EDT
Oh yeah, the world is ending soon right?

I wouldn't be buying all of this ammo if it wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:05:32 PM EDT

I got to thinking today when I came home and had over 6,000 rds of 7.62x54R and 1440 rds of 5.56 and some other items sitting on my front porch.

Well actually the first thing I thought was "cool it's here and I beat the wife home"

Anyway, I've been buying thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo lately and am starting to wonder what the UPS man may be thinking of me. I have over 8,000 rounds coming in still this week.

Does anyone else worry that the UPS man may wonder if they're preparing for a war? Also I feel a bit bad making him haul all of this heavy ammo around and was wondering if anyone has left a present of sorts for the extra work their UPS man has put in for them?

Thoughts?

Funny you should mention this about now, I was having the same thoughts about my UPS guy this past week. I have ordered close to 10k rounds in the past 3 weeks. I decided to get my 9mm stock for my new Glock 26 from the local gun show just to avoid this very concern. I wonder if they are trained to be on the lookout. You know Big Brother likes his minions to call 1-800-RAT ON YOUR NEIGHBOR and report such things.

Now all we need is a Revolution!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:10:26 PM EDT
As a UPS Driver I HATE ALL YOU AMMO WHORES!

I would appreciate a bottle of fine whiskey or bourbon or a case of Blue Moon Ale.

But it is Ammo Whores that keep UPS in Business so thanks....I think.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 7:57:28 PM EDT by uglygun]
The best was when I was working one of the load belts at UPS and an order from TNW came down the belt.

14 boxes of 50BMG M2 AP.

Only 2-3 of the boxes had broken open on the belt as it came down the slides and got smashed/collided with other boxes.

I'm at the end of the belt and hear these strange metalic sounding things coming down the chute and all over the floor. Next thing I know the loader/monkeys at the front of the belt are yelling "HEY, look at this !"

Everyone there knows I'm the gunnut of the facility, going around picking up 200-300 50BMG rounds that emptied out all over the belt was a bit of a pain in the ass. Fuckin TNW didn't pack the things for shit, loose in cardboard boxes rather than ammo cans.

It was impressive to see 14 freaking boxes going to one residential address out in the freaking boonies.

I didn't own a 50BMG at the time but even then my mouth was watering.

Now, when I get my reloading supplies for my ammo in everybody and their grandmother is wondering what I've gotten. 2k rounds of 700grn M2 projectiles for reloading was HEAVY.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:05:32 PM EDT
When it comes to feeling guilty...if you can call it that, was when I ordered 12 cases of Greek M2 from the CMP this last October. They ship in 73lb wooden crates. Long heavy wooden crates. Fed Ex pulls up to my business, all I've got working that day were women. We don't have a dock, so I asked the Fed Ex driver to back up to my truck and just offload right into the bed of my truck. I helped him out....it was the least I could do. He starts in with the questions, like why are these crates so damned heavy? I told him they were filled with special order nuts and bolts that came all the way from Greece. (The crates are stenciled:768 CAL30 IN 8RD CLIPS, with ORD stickers all over them) He starts mumbling about having to fill in for the regular driver who called in sick that day. I think he figured out why the regular driver called in sick..he probably loaded that Greek the night before.
UPS and FedEx drivers HATE me. You guys would hate me if I told you how much ammo I've bought in the last 6 months. I have to stop......but can't.
If I keep this up, I'm going to have to move. What a concept, live where I can shoot, or shoot where I can live. If I could stop buying ammo long enough, I might be able to afford to to buy a place like that...but what if all the suppliers run out while I'm trying to save up?
Hillary...........OMG! I must be paraniod.
Stack it DEEP guys.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:05:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AROKIE:
he has probally delivered a hell of alot more and worse things to other people, so dont even worry about it.

+1

As a former UPS Driver, I had many more miserable deliveries - like a big friggin' treadmill delivered up two flights of stairs. Hell I would have preferred a truck load of ammo as opposed to the shizzle I usually had.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 8:12:12 PM EDT by uglygun]

Originally Posted By Cipo:

Originally Posted By AROKIE:

+1

As a former UPS Driver, I had many more miserable deliveries - like a big friggin' treadmill delivered up two flights of stairs. Hell I would have preferred a truck load of ammo as opposed to the shizzle I usually had.

Pottery Barn. Hate those piece of shit big assed boxes that don't let you cube out a car or don't fit in a truck. Have had trailer upon trailer delivered on my dock to be unloaded at UPS only to have the piece of shit goddamn Pottery Barn boxes be too big to bring down from the dock.

Ofcourse then there are the rolls of carpet that people attempt to ship and can't even be loaded on our longest truck, P1000s. Person who picked that package up or accepted it for delivery should be shot.

Can't tell you all the stupid shit I've seen working the docks. It's also the most miserable place I've ever worked and I can't wait to get out of there, have an application in with a sheriff office and hopefully I get hired on.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:39:11 PM EDT

Funny you should mention this about now, I was having the same thoughts about my UPS guy this past week. I have ordered close to 10k rounds in the past 3 weeks. I decided to get my 9mm stock for my new Glock 26 from the local gun show just to avoid this very concern. I wonder if they are trained to be on the lookout. You know Big Brother likes his minions to call 1-800-RAT ON YOUR NEIGHBOR and report such things.

Now all we need is a Revolution!

I don't think you have to worry about that. Don't worry about the UPS driver either. They have hand trucks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:43:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uglygun:
Now, when I get my reloading supplies for my ammo in everybody and their grandmother is wondering what I've gotten. 2k rounds of 700grn M2 projectiles for reloading was HEAVY.

If there are 7000 grains in a pound thats 200 pounds......you're cruel but even I can't resist a quanity discount. How much did all that cost?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:39:16 PM EDT
as a ups driver and a gun nut i dont mind delievering ammo to my customers, they take care of me and i take care of them :)

i must admit, the guy that ordered the 4 crates of the cmp ammo that lived on the 4th floor with no elevator.. oh boy, when i got to the door, he said that he was sorry for the inconvience, gave me a c-note and a 2 liter of coke :)

i said anytime, and to give me a call when he went shootin :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:45:41 PM EDT
My UPS man is my Daughters GodFather

As a Former UPS man, I hated delivering Waterford Crystal and Swiss Colony Cheese more than delivering ammo
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 12:05:07 AM EDT by neonnoodle]
I used to work for Big Brown as a pre-loader (guy who puts the packages into the trucks) when I was going to college. Not to long after I had first started I was not yet familiar with all the different vendors that my drivers delieverd to so..... I start seeing a few boxes ( I don't recall if they were 500/1000 per box cases) of 9mm showing up in my binds, and then a few more and this continues for over an hour. Before I knew it I had loaded apx. 50+ cases in my truck..... all on one side.My supervisior comes and takes one look inside and then tell me to walk around the outside of the truck and take a look at it. The truck was leaning a good 15 degree to one side. I then had the pleasure of handling it twice to balance the car. I never envyed that guys route as it was semi-regular drop for a local sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:56:53 AM EDT
I tip the UPS guy $100. Never had a bad delivery or lost item.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:24:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By James_Brown:

Originally Posted By uglygun:

If there are 7000 grains in a pound thats 200 pounds......you're cruel but even I can't resist a quanity discount. How much did all that cost?

Usually around 225 per 1000. I can't get the cheap API or APIT in California, those run around 15-17 cents a pop while M33 and M2 AP run around 22-25 cents a pop. Shipping is outrageous on that kind of weight.

I've loaded around 550 rounds and have enough bullets to load another 3500 But I've only got a stash of around 1500 cases, want to up that to around 2500 cases.

Surplus components are going to get damn scarce in coming years with the gov't. destroying then scrapping it, rather than letting the surplus hounds have it. I'm looking to stock pile components out the wazoo for 7.62Nato, 5.56x45mm, and 50BMG.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:25:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 5:26:55 AM EDT by TrijiCog]
Try delivering a 3K pound skid of S&B to the local gunstore,that my friends,is work.No fucking tip either..Next time I will make sure to "attempt delivery" after business hours.Then mark the bill "needs appointment" so it sits on the dock for another week.

Then after i make the delivery,I will mark the bill "inside delivery",so the guy gets charged a shitload of cash on top of the delivery charge.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:02 AM EDT
While I know I am paying fo rthe service I feel as if the weight is very high on some of my ammo and supply orders and appreciate the mental attitude of UPS. The drivers typically work their butts off carrying the heavy loads and IMO deserve a spiff or two.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:47:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 8:47:44 AM EDT by BSTOCK]

Originally Posted By 24ksports:
While I know I am paying fo rthe service I feel as if the weight is very high on some of my ammo and supply orders and appreciate the mental attitude of UPS. The drivers typically work their butts off carrying the heavy loads and IMO deserve a spiff or two.

No one will argue with you there Hats off to the guys in brown.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:54:47 AM EDT
I do it to.... No offence but i don't care. I just try not to order more then 1000 rounds at a time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:15:28 AM EDT
My UPS driver has been on my route for at least the last 6 years. He probably averages 2 deliveries a week to my house. His name is John, and he always honks the horn (as if the dogs don't alert me!) and I make sure to meet him half way at least in the yard.

It's to the point now that I KNOW that on days I'm expecting a delivery, he'll be at the house between 5-7PM. Many different times, he's even seen my truck at the local grocery store or wherever as he was going by and stopped in to find me and make deliveries! I've even been able to stop by his truck as he's making another delivery on my way out of the neighborhood to get my packages. He's a great guy and I have no problem through out the year giving him gift certificates to TGI Fridays and Chillies. He's always appreciative, as I am of his service.

And this is from a driver in the Tidewater region of VA, the largest urban area by size and population in VA. Much respect for him!

Tom
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:00:05 PM EDT
I am home by the time my UPS guy gets here. I always go out to the truck and unload my shipments.
He doesn't even have to get out of the truck.
He's happy and never asks any questions.
What more could I ask for.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
Once recieved some .50 BMG belted packed in just the ammo cans with a shipping label stuck on the side of each can, clearly marked EXPLOSIVES on the sides of each can.

I watched as the driver carried the cans, 2 at atime up the driveway and stacked them on the porch.

He didn't make any comments other than "your welcome" when I said thanks.

My wife on the other hand...refused to help me carry them downstairs or inside.

J
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:25:47 PM EDT
Got 8 crates a few weeks ago from AIM, and gave the BROWN guy a little token of my appreciation for the extra effort he put in. It'a amazing how far a few dollars can go. He grinned from ear to ear!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:32:35 PM EDT
My latest stress has been from getting home before the wife. Tomorrow, I have 4k of 7.62x39, 4k of 5.56 and 300rds of .50bmg coming to the door, that will take several trips do get inside. After that the only thing I have left (for now) is 4k of xm193 and 250 of .40 federal hydra shoks. Then I'm taking a break for a while, a vacation, save some money and then back to the firearms purchases.

Man, I hope my wife never reads these forums.

I need to be here when the UPS man is so that I can find out "what he likes" (with in reason) and then hook him up whether it be booze or gift cards or cash.

Thanks for all of the posts everyone, keep them coming, this is a fun thread.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:34:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfgang12:
Got 8 crates a few weeks ago from AIM, and gave the BROWN guy a little token of my appreciation for the extra effort he put in. It'a amazing how far a few dollars can go. He grinned from ear to ear!

Cool,

I think for my shipments tomorrow I'll put a $20 and a note in a envelope on the porch. Better than nothing and can get him a cheap meal and a beer if that's the case.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:42:30 PM EDT
Where are you getting all of your ammo from UMC?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 5:16:41 PM EDT by Krackels]
Never, really thought about it. But I don't buy as much as you ammo whores.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
Wasn't its ups employee that ultimately led to a big fire in Wako when a box broke open and inert gernades fell on the ground?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:53:51 PM EDT
My UPS guy is great. If I see him coming with an ammo order I always help him unload it. I told him he can just pull into my driveway and leave it right in front of the garage door. That way he doesn't have to walk all the way up the front walk. 4 cases of SA308 from AIM he was happy he could just drop them in the driveway.
When ever I see him I always offer him a bottle of water or a coke and tip him at Christmas. Those guys work their asses off around Christmas time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:17:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigkracka:
I take care of my mailman with an exspensive bottle of scotch every xmas, his favorite drink. In turn, he takes care of my shitload of packages I get every year. He does things for me he's really not suppose to, but he knows me, and that fact I grease the wheels don't hurt. He's a nice guy anyway.

My FFL tips UPS, Fedex and the mailman VERY well. He gets great service, they have his number for situations and emergencies.

It's worth it, trust me.

Good Call. I "tip" my UPS and Mailman yearly. I also take care of the garbage men. They'd take a rolled carpent with a foot hanging out without question.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KnobCreek:

It's worth it, trust me.

Good Call. I "tip" my UPS and Mailman yearly. I also take care of the garbage men. They'd take a rolled carpent with a foot hanging out without question.

Did the foot belong to Jimmy Hoffa?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:00:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 9:01:29 PM EDT by KnobCreek]

Originally Posted By BSTOCK:

Originally Posted By KnobCreek:

It's worth it, trust me.

Did the foot belong to Jimmy Hoffa?

Nah...I tink he was consumed with some chilly sauce, onion and mustard.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:15:01 PM EDT

I can't remember the last time I saw my UPS man. He always delivers while I'm at work.

Wife calling me at work: "You got another heavy package. It's by the front door - I'm not moving it."

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:21:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lowco:
Where are you getting all of your ammo from UMC?

Depends,

The 7.62x39 is a backorder from The Sportsmans Guide, the 7.62x54 and British .223 is from Southern Ohio Gun, the xm193 that I'm waiting on is from Mirage Technologies and the Wolf 5.56 and .50bmg is from Ammoman. Almost forgot, I have some Hydra Shok coming from Cheaper Than Dirt, they have the best prices I've ever seen on that stuff. I'm paying the twenty rounds amount but getting fifty rounds.

I wish I paid more attention when ordering the Wolf stuff as it's a bit cheaper from The Sportsmans Guide.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:50:21 AM EDT
Iusually get the same UPS guy and we tip him at the holidays. He never says anything about the ammo, though he does always remind me I can use UPS instead of FedEx for my outbounbd shipping needs.

Of course, he was out sick the day my shipment of 8 1120 round cases of 308 came from Sportsmans Guide, SG didn't send it in wood cases (too heavy) so they repacked it into 16 35lb boxes. The relief driver was about 5'3" tall, weighed around 125 lbs, and looked about 14 years old. He literally couldn't carry two boxes at a time, and the brick walkway I had at home at the time didn't lend itself to a hand cart. As if those 16 boxes weren't bad enough, two crates of server hardware and some NAS stufff were in the same truck for dselivery.

I thought the driver was going to cry

I did help him unload since I was home at the time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:43:47 PM EDT
I've seen a couple posts here that they tip their UPS guy around the holidays. What is the going rate?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:05:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 2:29:02 PM EDT by GregL]
I'm convinced my UPS man is pissed off he can't just kick my ammo boxes to my doorstep from his truck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:50:13 PM EDT
My UPS man is a good guy who attends Guns Save Life.com meetings with me.

He only hates me when I order cases of copy paper from Quill.

John
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top