Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2002 12:15:35 PM EDT
Happy
I am myself a novice and the more I learn the less I realize I knew to begin with and that has been a very humbling and useful experience...

TRUE KNOWLEDGE and a basic understanding of how things work along with our capacity to improve and maintain our properties and not just use and abuse ...is in to short a supply in todays society.

Hence this ranting post as to how I feel that a post such as the one I read two days  ago explaining what the Gary Bindon Aiming Concept was...simply gives me great hope that WE WILL AS HUMAN BEINGS become better and happier the more well informed and .........O K OK ...my question is ...(anybody awake still?) has anyone used or heard any feed back on the STUBBY-STOCK for sale on BM web site?

I feel that installing one will within legal limits configurate my carbine to an easier model to swing into action and utilize in a self defense scenario.This along with an Aimpoint would serve those puposes well was my belief . But as I mentioned above I don't know much ...yet ...so even having offended some of you with the lenght of this post and the non ....ANY ANSWERS WILL BE APPRECIATED !!!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The short tactical stocks I've used all seemed REALLY short and awkward ... cramped even.  They appear to be designed for use by those who are wearing all sorts of mall ninja tac stuff.  

To me, the shorty stocks are way too short, the A2 is a bit too long, but the ARFX skeleton stock was just right... [;)]

Check out some stock options here:

[url]groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Some say the "stubby" or entry stock + a 1"
spacer is actually useful when wearing
heavy or winter clothing.
[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/100%252D0010%255FIMG.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Darkstar and AKRule ,darkstar how tall are you and what is your reach ? I am 5'7" and have a short stocky upper body.

I certainly found the link along with the pictures very helpful and admit I love the look of the skeleton stock but more and more belive I would be Xtremely comfortable with a shorter stock.

Let's say for instance I was interested in engaging in "reactionary targets" type competition stuff ...well a feature that allows me to shoulder the weapon (perhaps even support it with my chest) quickly and without straining with my short arms, could work in my favor ...

In worst case I will purchase and outfit for $50 and if dissapointed try a different option.

I belive strongly that different people will find different things comfortable and trial and error is inevedible.

More input is highly welcome!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Rules, I'm 6' tall, and my knuckles nearly drag on the ground... well, almost.  My problem with the shorty stocks was my arms were all folded up to properly fire the weapon.  You may find the shorty stock or the shorty stock with the spacer AKs mentioned may be just the ticket.  Give the stock a try, if you don't like the fit you can post it in the EE forum and try something a bit longer like an A1 stock or the ARFX.

Happy New Year...

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking to do high speed/tactical type stuff, the shorter stock/length of pull is more desirable.  It will allow you to fire with your elbows more tucked into your body thus stabilizing the rifle in a straight on combat stance.  It will also allow faster cheek weld/eye alignment to the sights.  I am 6' and prefer a stock that is 7" to 7 1/2" in overall length for this purpose.  The stubby is about 7 1/4" which is just about right.  The one inch spacer will help if you find the original length too short for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
And there we have it !!!I am ordering one on Thursday so consequently I need a special tool to take the old stock off -right? Or ...should I have a professional install it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a CAR style stock, you need a carbine tool to remove it.  I have one that conveniently has a bushing tool on one end for my 1911.

If you have an A2, then you need a vice and a large screwdriver to remove the rear screw.  That screw is a bitch and won't come off willingly, so you have to bear down on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, while the aimpoint is a good CQB sight, the EOTech is absolutely the fastest sight for CQB available.  It's circle and crosshair reticle is much easier to pick up under stress than just the single dot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Knightone I have an A2 style stock and I actually read a thread on the subject earlier today ...the reason the screw in the rear is stubborn is called Loctite screw sealing solution ...supposedly I need an electric drill to remove -I will consult Bushmaster

and just when I thought I had made up my mind on the Aimpoint I see that EOTech mentioned again..if it is within similar pricerange I will research it and consider...

And by the way Darkstar -from where or whom is that quote and the end of your posts? If it is an author I would like to read where that passage was taken from...  

So off I go lookin' for posts on EOTech sights ...I suspect they are ample in supply.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I AGREE 100% WITH KNIGHTONE ON THE EOTECH !!

Rambosky
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone told me that a good way to loosen loctite is to trasfer heat onto the crew.  I was told to put a torch to a screwdriver while working the screw when the buttstock is locked in a vise.  I haven't tried it, but it's just a suggestion.  Undertake this method at your own risk and with help as the process sounds a bit precarious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And by the way Darkstar -from where or whom is that quote and the end of your posts? If it is an author I would like to read where that passage was taken from...  

View Quote

If I could post the full quote, I would... it's a bit long.

The Quote is from 'Fight Club' by Chuck Palahniuk... The full quote is:

Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. Goddammit, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, and slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes; working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.  We're the middle children of history, man; no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives.  We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm...interesting...I actually saw that movie but never had any lasting impression from it.

Until now I guess...just liked the truth those words carried.

But heck - that's why there are sites like this TO LEARN and STIMULATE our senses so as to NOT get depressed and feel a lack of purpose.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top