Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2002 7:28:55 AM EDT
Any one every tried "the snake" bore cleaner and if so, do they work and who carries them??
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
They're fine for quick cleaning, however I would always suggest using a cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Roger that...quickie only
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
was the snake hard to pull thru?
it took all i had (two hands) to pull mine thru.
is that normal?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, that's very normal. The brushes are making contact with the barrel. After the front end exit the barrel, it should be A LOT easier to pull the rest of the boresnake out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Would the bore snake be a good idea when you're breaking in a barrel? Might speed things up?
-Steve
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Steve, Sir,

Yes, it'd help a lot during usage of your rifle at the range. However, at the end of the day, I still suggest you use a cleaning kit for your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I would add one word of caution.  Make sure the snake is not too worn.  While using one in my Mini-14 the "rope" broke right where it meets the brush.  It took me forever to get the damn thing out because I didn't want to reverse the brush in the bore.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
i always use two hands on my snake.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would add one word of caution.  Make sure the snake is not too worn.  While using one in my Mini-14 the "rope" broke right where it meets the brush.  It took me forever to get the damn thing out because I didn't want to reverse the brush in the bore.
View Quote

Don't envy you that experience.  Sounds miserable.
If I were in that situation, I'm quite sure that I would have pulled the "snake" out by the exposed end.  Not too worried about damaging those tiny little brushes.

How did you eventually manage to remove the thing?  Shoved it out with another rod (without damaging the bore)?

Doesn't take two hands for me, but, then again, I'm extremely strong. [:)]  My advice is to remember to clean the product often so that debris doesn't accumulate, and to avoid putting the shoulder in an awkward position by attempting to pull the rope through all in one go.  I know, that's lame advice, but all I've got.

Also, I second the "quick cleaning" sentiments.  Good to throw in the pocket or to stuff in the pistol grip when heading out in the field in case you get some debris in the barrel, but not a way to thoroughly clean the bore.

$10 is a good price.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
i have one for every gun i shoot.
one tip : i filled the starting end w/ lead to make it go through the BBL a little bit easier.  works great on the AR when it gets realy dirty
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top