BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 7:40:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks intersting, who is making this BUIS?  Ive not seen any like this so far with the teams Ive been working with, most are still using the KAC 300m with one or perhaps 2 cut carry handles.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It was designed be a fellow at Picatinny. It is not well liked and there are many problems to include they loose two notches on the receiver and that creates mounting interference with various devices. The aperature is small and no good for QCB for which defeates the main use of M4's. I know of no one in the spec ops that want this thing on thier M4's, just the opposite. They have broken time and again in the field and are refered to as a rat trap by the troops that got stuck with some. There not for civ. sale. The sight has a tortion spring to make it pop back up except if you push it all the way down, then you have to release it manualy again. It breaks pretty easily if you have it in the elevated position and hit it on something. The elevation side gets caught on everything, especialy for on thier gear. The scew that attaches it to the receiver breaks in installation and it is a round screw of all things being put into a square receiver notch. The windage knob is a nuckle buster.
Enuff said
Jack
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you will be some next generationb BUIS's with SOPMODII...

I agree with JACK on this one (again, uh oh the horsemen are coming).
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like one thing--- The range scale is very clear and readable form the back unlike the dumbasses at KAC who don't realize the shooter is behind his rifle and looking at the target when ajusting the BDC.

At least I am.  I like to not have to turn to the side of my rifle to ajust the BDC.

That BUIS flopped probably because it was fragile.

[b]WHEN I SAID FLOPPED I MEANT THE UNIT PICTURED AT THE TOP (SUBJECT OF THIS POST) NOT THE POPULAR KAC UNIT THAT IN THE 600 M VARIETY HAS A FEATURE THAT ONLY I SEEM TO BE BOTHERED BY[/b]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While I agree that this is not the best for the job, I do think that you'll be seing them.  I personally prefer the KMC 600M, expecially over the 300M.  
I think that some of the complaints you listed are valid, a few of them seem like they came from the drawning table and not the field.

Also, I don't think that this is going to see the M4s near as much as the SPRs (as stated in my original post).  I don't think this BUIS will be too useful to the M4 guys, but probably better than the KMC 300 or the ARMS #38, and definately better than nothing.
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=15153[/url]
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=15152[/url]
View Quote

What is that Leupold scope?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I would hardly say that the KAC sight flopped, as I stated earlier, most folks are using the 300m BUIS.  I think that there is a place for a 600m sight, but its not on a M4, and that is what the majority of folks are carrying these days.  The SPR's are just that Special Purpose Rifles.

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I was wondering what those were.  I'm in Asscrackistan right now and the infantry unit that just showed up has 'em.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm in Asscrackistan right now...
View Quote

[:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
hmm  looks like it might not be good for M4's but seems like it would work well on SPR's ??
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I think TS-30A2 will be marketed as Mark4 MR with M1 or M3 cams later this summer for the general public. I am just afraid to ask the price though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The 600M sight was designed with a zero that was a compromise between 14.5 and 20in barrel (so I am putting mine on a planned 16inch rifle and it should work fine there (I don't want to use anything that isn't special purpose- it would be boring- If you sight with an ACOG you should have 600meter Back up or it really isn't a very good back-up to a 600M optic)
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...unlike the dumbasses at KAC who don't realize the shooter is behind his rifle and looking at the target when ajusting the BDC.

At least I am.  I like to not have to turn to the side of my rifle to ajust the BDC.

From dumbass at KAC: the reason you read the range and zero from the port side of our 600 meter rear sight is that this emulates where the zero is read on about 25,000,000 M16A2's and M4's w/removeable carrying handles.  This sight was developed against an Army requirement for a BUIS the "minimized" any changes a new BUIS would bring to the table.  Clearly, our 600-M does that (i.e., everything is nearly as the Soldier has been trained to look for it), although the zero mark is not where you or I would have put it given a free hand.
The Army evaulated our sight and GG&G's under the guidelines of a Non-Developmental Item (NDI) acquisition program about 3 years ago.  I don't know of any other commercial companies (ARMS ?) that were involved.  We (KAC & GG&G) were both given contracts and delivered 50 each for evaluation.  Then the program seemingly stoped.  
Now, looks like we commercial guys thought we were only competing against GG&G and maybe ARMS, but not the in-house Picatinny guys as well.  
This new picatinny sight looks inspired by the M249 SAW rear, that was also an in-house affair back in the early 80's.  i hope this new one is better, as the SAW's rear aperture stem always had a lot of play from side to side, and just would not do on a rifle.
"good shootin" ...KAC dumbass

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top