Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:57:48 AM EDT
I did a search through the archives for opinions on the gapper and found a neat tip posted by a few people regarding the use of hot glue to make your own gapper.

I took this a bit further and set up my AR to be a makeshift mold for the glue gapper. Once I figured out how to make good ones, I made a few extras to carry around with me at the range in case anyone else needed one.

I just removed the safety + detent + spring and the pistol grip screw. I used an extra A2 grip for the process and basically injected the stuff into the gap, and spread it out past the lower receiver trigger guard area. I used a metal plate to flatten it.

Remove the gapper once it cools and trim to fit. If there are any molding deficiencies like holes or markings, you can inject more hot glue and press it flat using the plate. You can pump out half a dozen or so within a few minutes, just remember to wait for it to cool first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:03:30 AM EDT
I have, in all my years of shooting in the Army and as a civilian, never had a problem with the gap in the PG. Are these really needed?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:12:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 11:13:22 AM EDT by twonami]

Originally Posted By QUIB:
I have, in all my years of shooting in the Army and as a civilian, never had a problem with the gap in the PG. Are these really needed?

no, but I use them.
I'm such a rebel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:18:09 AM EDT
Dont you know that without it your rifle will fire out of time and feed bullets backwards?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:23:05 AM EDT
i took 6 days of training with Tactical Response last fall.
at the end of the class i had a terrible blister where my finger rubbed on the trigger guard, and i was using a gapper AND wearing gloves.
i won't use an AR without one. whether or not it benefits you probably depends on the type of shooting your doing, and how you hold the gun.
different strokes, and all that....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
I used to use them. Now I use trigger guards than eliminate the gap. Both the RRA winter guard and Magpul trigger guard will do the trick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:27:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 62nd_Assassin:
at the end of the class i had a terrible blister where my finger rubbed on the trigger guard, and i was using a gapper AND wearing gloves.
i won't use an AR without one. whether or not it benefits you probably depends on the type of shooting your doing, and how you hold the gun.

You must have been doing some thing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 62nd_Assassin:

My wife gets that, I think it's a girly hands problem...

J/K
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
I just use a small piece of black foam caulking cord. I have heard of people using foam earplugs; use an orange one if you want to draw attention to yourself. "Hey, where'd you get that orange Gapper?"

If the right person does it, it could start a new trend.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:03:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By YELLOWV:
I used to use them. Now I use trigger guards than eliminate the gap. Both the RRA winter guard and Magpul trigger guard will do the trick.

Yep, the Magpul works for me even though I got a gapper with my Ergo overmoulded grip.
Top Top