Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 11:24:36 AM EDT by subgunner]
What is the scoop on the Crane clone stocks made for Airsoft rifles? Are they safe to use on a firearm? If you tried one what was your experience?

I purchased one from Romad-556 before I realized they were not intended for a firearm. He will not give me a refund and I'm concerned about the safety of using it. Feedback highly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:55:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 11:55:53 AM EDT by mach6]
I saw one last year in...and I'm not kidding....IRAQ! It was on a K-er's piece. Damn near passed out from laughter. Then again, I've seen NcStar stuff on M4s over there, too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:05:35 PM EDT

I saw one last year in...and I'm not kidding....IRAQ!

How did you know it was a clone? If it held up in combat in Iraq it can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:52:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 1:54:17 PM EDT by Gimme_A_Carbine]
My buddy got one from Viper, here on the boards. The stock is alright. The stock came painted instead of the normal shinny finish that the clones have. I'm not sure if the stock sucks, or if the finish got inside where the tube goes or not, but it's a bitch to slide on a CMT receiver extension. Also the hardware sucks (might have been made stickier from the paint), and should be replaced by more sturdy and more functional hardware.

It doesn't seem as durable as the LMTs I've handled, but I don't have extensive time with either, and apparently the clones do alright at times...though I'd like to know if said individual in the sandbox was using that stock in a lot of combat. Not to devalue him or his job, but I know a lot of soldiers (11Bs included) who spend lots of time there, and never fire their weapons at anyone. Just curious as to whether or not the stock was shown HARD use.

ETA: mach6-what do you mean by "K'er"? "Killer/shooter"???
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:06:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:
My buddy got one from Viper, here on the boards. The stock is alright. The stock came painted instead of the normal shinny finish that the clones have. I'm not sure if the stock sucks, or if the finish got inside where the tube goes or not, but it's a bitch to slide on a CMT receiver extension. Also the hardware sucks (might have been made stickier from the paint), and should be replaced by more sturdy and more functional hardware.

It doesn't seem as durable as the LMTs I've handled, but I don't have extensive time with either, and apparently the clones do alright at times...though I'd like to know if said individual in the sandbox was using that stock in a lot of combat. Not to devalue him or his job, but I know a lot of soldiers (11Bs included) who spend lots of time there, and never fire their weapons at anyone. Just curious as to whether or not the stock was shown HARD use.

ETA: mach6-what do you mean by "K'er"? "Killer/shooter"???

=============

K-er: Contractor.
Subgunner, I asked the guy what he paid and he said (proudly ) that he only paid $80 USD mail order from Japan. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:39 PM EDT
I guess I'll take a hard look at this thing when it arrives. I'm not going into harms way but I don't want an unpleasent surprise when shooting.

Of course I'll never do business with Romad-556 again since when I realized this was an Airsoft toy part I asked to return it for a refund and his attitude was "tough you should have figured that out before you paid".

Since Romad-556 was so obstinate about not giving a refund, even before I received the stock, I figured he was desperate to get rid of it. That translated to "glad I dumped that piece of junk on some unsuspecting fool" in my mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:26:29 PM EDT
I have one on an AR-10 and it's held up fine. It is tight on the CMT tube but it has loosened up a tad. I like it and I'm getting another for a M4. I can't remember which board member it is but one of the guys did a side by side review of them and the LMT. The clone was not / is not a bad option.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 3:41:06 PM EDT by WILDBILL756]
I think it was Mongo. I would like to have a very good SOPMOD clone stock. I own a real LMT SOPMOD stock. I would like to paint a Clone SOPMOD Tan or Green, I am not ready to paint my real stock yet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:32:22 PM EDT
I had one and it held up pretty well, even though it was made for a toy. It fit the LMT reciever extension very tightly with no wobble or rattle. I shot my AR a lot with the clone on it and had no complaints. But it is not the same as an LMT spomod stock, it is not made to handle the abuse that the LMT is. Depending on how you plan to use your AR, the clone may serve you well. A couple of trips to the range a year should not hurt the clone, but I'd be damned if I would carry it on duty or into combat where others depended on me and my equiptment for their survival. That's not what it was made for, no matter how mil-spec it seems.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:06:56 PM EDT
For what it's worth mine is on a duty rifle that get's dropped, dragged and bumped. So far so good...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
Not all Crane Clones are created equal...some are downright Japanese crap. Others are well thought out, hardware modified and effective. I'm sure there are a few guys on here happy with theirs under hard use, they're just embarassed...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:19:47 PM EDT
I seem to recall a member stating their LMT true SOPMOD was starting to have a little wiggle in the latch pin area, much like the clones. YMMV but a rifle buttstock what will never meet the face of an inusrgent peice-of-crap would probably meet the average couch commando's needs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:50:46 PM EDT
Does anyone know Viper's full board name to IM him, and if he still gets any of these in?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:55:49 PM EDT
He stopped selling them due to a lack of demand. That's a shame because they are decent stocks. I did'nt have the money at the time to get more than one. I'd like to get another from him...I hope he comes across this thread!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:01:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghostface:
He stopped selling them due to a lack of demand. That's a shame because they are decent stocks. I did'nt have the money at the time to get more than one. I'd like to get another from him...I hope he comes across this thread!

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:53:25 PM EDT
LMT is a clone too.

I have both and haven't had problems with either.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:30:29 AM EDT
I received the stock and it was a very tight fit on my Colt buffer tube. While it did not slide easily there was still play in the lockup. No way of knowing what kind of plastic it's made of but I don't want it on my AR so it was sold.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:36:42 AM EDT
I'll admit it.

I have one on my Recce.

It fits well, but like the LMTs it is egging out the hole. I also think the pin that catches the reciever extension is slightly undersized, but I haven't bothered to look for a replacement.

It works well, and I'll use it until I can afford an LMT. (I am a poor broke college student, so it may be a while. . . )

My only complaint is that it is shiny and it is egging out the hole. But I can fix both of those.
Its a pretty good stock for the $$$$.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:08:28 PM EDT
i just put one on mine its a Zenith crane copy with a milspec buffer tube. The thing is perfectly tight , heavy duty and sturdy with a matte black finish. I would recommend it in a second.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:27:23 PM EDT
I just put a LMT on one of my AR's and now I want one for each. May have to try a clone for the hell of it. Where do you get them from?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 2:59:15 PM EDT by M4Madness]

Originally Posted By ian187:
LMT is a clone too.

LMT is the official Crane stock supplier now. They took the original stock design of Crane employee David Armstrong, supposedly improved it with better materials, and now build the the stocks for Crane. The LMT SOPMOD stock has an NSN. Therefore LMT stock=Crane stock.

Originally Posted By Krazny13:
It fits well, but like the LMTs it is egging out the hole.

Kisara was the member who complained about a slight amount of play in his LMT stock. After careful study, he determined that the hole was not elongating after all.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 3:17:19 PM EDT by mongo001]
The Clones are OK. They are more prone to egging than the "originals". If you want the look and function, but no insurance on how long it will last, they are worth the money.

I have come up with a solution to the egging, although it might be temporary, I haven't tested it that much to tell. In theory, the brass bushing should hold up better than the plastic. The back and forth forces should be softened by the brass and spread out to a larger surface area of the plastic, once again, in theory, lessening the damage. FWIW.

Additionally, I believe the bushing better supports the spring, which supports the operating screw/bolt, which may result in less play.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:13:50 PM EDT
i have one on a m4 with one thousand round thru it and no problems
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 4:17:36 PM EDT by Kisara]

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
After careful study

Grande Burritos in Malibu with SMGlee and Duffy was more like it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2005 4:34:21 PM EDT by TREETOP]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:32:18 PM EDT
i wish i had gotten a green while i had the chance on the ee bord a wile back
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:37:39 AM EDT
I'll admit it. I bought one, and put it on my issued M4a1 carbine.. Had it there for about a year. Seemed to be good quality, though I ended up taking it off as I just didnt care how it felt or worked.. The smooth rubber buttplate didnt help keep it on my shoulder. The ergonomic shape didnt really help me much, as I had my personal TA-11 mounted on the carry handle anyway.
Top Top