Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2006 5:00:37 PM EDT
Sometime back, I read on AR15.com (it may not have been the optics forum) that AR-15.com or maybe some of the members here did a test on the S.P.O.T red dot.  I hope someone can direct me to that link AND please let me know if yo have had any experience with a S.P.O.T.  The one I am looking at is at this link  http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merch...OT/SPO-MK3-NR6

I plan to mount it on the carry handle of my CAR-15.  I know that it is not as rugged as the AIM or others at a higher price but I am not planning on going to war with it.  If I do have to go to war, i will get an AIM.  I know it is hard not to go for the best, but the CAR is not my primary rifle and I don't have the money for the best scope.  Thanks and I will be really interested in what everyone has to say.  Bilbo
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ahead and get it. I have one on my rifle and regurlarly throw it around in the soft case I carry the rifle in, for about the past 3 months. I just went to the range and still holding a zero. They are not Aimpoints, but about the only difference I have noticed is not waterproof (although the one tested didn't have any problems in the rain and snow) and battery, which translates into battery life. Clear optics, great dot, holds a zero and not cost prohibitive, for those of us on a budget. From what I remember  from that post, they are pretty tough, so I wouldn't worry about breakng it. Well worth the $149 I spent.

MPD165  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I may go for one. Looks like it will work with my Uzi and a Brugger & Thomett front sight mount. I asked Grant to advise for a 3 or 6 MOA for this mission. What do you think?

Check out the mount

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BT21185&storeid=1&image=btuzimnt.gif
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the 3 MOA dot and would recommend the 3. Shooting at 50 yards they r great. At 100 yards the 3 MOA dot covers pretty much the entire bull on most targets.

MPD165
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
With Aimpoint at 4 MOA and 2 MOA on the newer ones I'd go with the 3 MOA dot.  6 MOA would be pretty large for accurate shooting at longer distances.

I don't know how that Uzi mount works, but if you don't need as much height over the rails for the Uzi as on a flattop AR you might want to look at the Tasco version.  I don't think the 5 MOA dot would be a problem at SMG distances.

ETA:  The SPOT torture test thread aged into the archives a month or two ago.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the thread, but you have to be a team member to read it.

BTW, I'm sure you already thought of it, but you'd need an adapter mount to stick it on a carry handle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
i would get the tasco version no doubt about it, seems like a no-brainer to me, ya can either have a replica aimpoint from a no-name co in china, or something from tasco, seems to me tasco would have QC down a little better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If you go read the post by TalonArms_R on page 23 of the Tacpoint FAQ he talked to the manufacturer at SHOT and the SPOT is made by the same factory that makes the Burris XTS-135 (to different specs).  Being a visually identical sight, I'm sure the Tasco is made by the same factory as well.  Considering the price points, I doubt the Tasco is made to any higher standard than the SPOT, and my personal opinion is that they're the same except for the included mounts.  

For the original poster, the low ring that comes with the Tasco would work better on a carry handle adatper than the high one that comes with the SPOT.  For a flattop, having to purchase a mount would negate the price difference of the Tasco.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top