Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 1:55:32 PM EDT
Maybe I should rephrase that.....

Anyway, been shooting my 20" Colt and Bushmaster ARs for years without noticing, but a friend shot them recently and noted the awful, buzzing TWANG that comes from the recoil tubes on both rifles after each shot is fired.  Not sure exactly what it is, but now that he brought it to my attention, it's really quite annoying.  Is it the spring vibrating against the inner buffer tube?  What can be done to correct this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal dont worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Normal , shoot a little breakfree on your buffer spring , might help
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the recoil spring; is normal. Don't worry 'bout it. As for the sound coming from YOUR rear end? Can't help you there, buddy!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]

No more beans for you!!!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Switch to a hyrdaulic buffer if it bothers you that much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the "Mattel Twang"

More noticable with an A2 buttstock than a collapsable model.  

It does get annoying but it is what it is.

The price you pay for an otherwise kick a@@ rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
it's normal and if you put oil or grease in the buffer tube to get rid of it, it can shoot out the drain hole all over your shirt, my buddy did this shit at the range and I about died laughing when I saw that it splattered on the wall too
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
normal. No lube, CLP, grease, etc... unless you want a dirt magnet
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
That is one of my favorite sounds.

What kind of name is homeinvader???
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
the "twang" means its working.

have you considered trading into an SKS?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Junk in your trunk?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I figured as much.  I can deal. I like shooting carbines more anyway.

Thanks for for the confirmations.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
carbines in CA you say?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Your friend is not concentrating on the task at hand- hitting the target. When I am focused on tasks of shooting, I don't hear it. Otherwise, I hear that noise too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
it's normal and if you put oil or grease in the buffer tube to get rid of it, it can shoot out the drain hole all over your shirt, my buddy did this shit at the range and I about died laughing when I saw that it splattered on the wall too

LOL!!!! That's some funny shit right there...almost fell outta my damn chair.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twumk. Change mags.

Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twumk Insert saftey flag, Rifle on safe, Wait for groups and scores.

I LOVE that sound.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twumk. Change mags.

Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twuuuuump Twumk Insert saftey flag, Rifle on safe, Wait for groups and scores.

I LOVE that sound.

Gotta go with what he said. I don't count rounds because I know the change in sound an empty mag makes on the buffer spring. For me, it means it's time to hit the button...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Anyway, been shooting my 20" Colt and Bushmaster ARs for years without noticing, but a friend shot them recently and noted the awful, buzzing TWANG that comes from the recoil tubes on both rifles after each shot is fired.  Not sure exactly what it is, but now that he brought it to my attention, it's really quite annoying.  Is it the spring vibrating against the inner buffer tube?  What can be done to correct this?

Have you really been shooting ARs for "years"?

Your story is extremely hard to beleive.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remeber the very first time I shot my first AR and i was like WTF? at that noise
you been shooting for years and never noticed?
also as said above its great you can tell whe you are empty
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe you changed your grip.  The harder your cheak is on the stock, the louder the "twang".

BTW, is it a lot more difficult to tell when your mag is empty with a gas buffer?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
normal. No lube, CLP, grease, etc... unless you want a dirt magnet

Really, I put clp in mine.  Not to get rid of the twang but because I thought it was a good idea.  Anyways, I don't hear it much on the carbine.  The A2 stock you can, but I don't really pay attention to it.  It's there so we can all laugh when someone asks us what that horrible noise is!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Terrible noises coming from my rear end....

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#24]
You REALLY should rephrase the title
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember my first time I ever shot an AR and more specifically the first time I heard it fired next to me. It was at Basic Training (and yes I know it was an M16) and I remember thinking that gee it sure was a little sound and not what I expected at all.
I also distinctly remember the twing sound the buffer spring made too and thought it was an odd sound for a gun to make.
Of course, I didn't think it odd enough to mention to the Drill SGT, I just kept shooting.....expert I might add 39 out of 40
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had both ARs for about 12 years. INo, shouldn't say I didn't notice, just didn't both me until he gave me the "What the hell is that?" response.  THEN it started to bother me and I wondered what was causing it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't say it bothers me as I never notice and/or pay attention to it.

My suggestion is to go shoot the gun until the "sproing" sound stops.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#29]
The thread title is fantastic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top