Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 8:42:13 PM EDT
With the AWB on the horizon it is time to start using proper terminology. We should drop the term "high cap" and start calling them what they are, "full capacity magazines". We should also be calling the AWB mags what they are, "restricted capacity magazines" or perhaps "anti Constitution magazines".

We have let the lousy liberals get away with minimizing what they are doing by accepting their bogus and illegitimate terms. We should counter with terms that put them on the defensive and show them for what they are. I now only use standard capacity and restricted capacity when referring to magazines and am seeing a few customers and others picking up on it. Perhaps if enough of us do it it might have a small effect on pushing the sunset of the AWB. It certainly couldn't hurt even if it doesn't help. At least it will show we know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm all for it... and while we're on the subject... maybe we could stop calling our RIFLES guns... All RIFLES are guns... but not all guns are RIFLES...

STP.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
well the way i see it is. its much faster to shorten the word down then to say the whole thing. high cap is way shorter than full capicity magazines.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
High-cap... Full-cap...  looks to be about the same length to me.

While I agree with you that some terms should be revised to a "less evil" form, I don't see it happening.  Hell, i work with a guy that continues to call mags "clips" after about 100 corrections.  He claims to have shot in competitions regularly.... Who knows?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
A rifle, is not a gun.

A gun is crew served, i.e., a machine gun, a cannon.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A rifle, is not a gun.

View Quote

Excellent input... and simply more support for the point... well done...!

STP.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
While we are at it, a jam and a malfunction are two different things!

A jam is an interuption in the cycle of operation in a weapon that requires the use of tools or the skills of an armorer to clear.

A malfunction is an interuption in the cycle of operation that the user is able to clear through immediate action drills.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
grenade launcher = 40mm in size and is regulated by the NFA.

flare launcher = 37mm in size and can be put under your AR.

By Rabid_Coyote

A rifle, is not a gun.

A gun is crew served, i.e., a machine gun, a cannon
View Quote

I agree!

An AR style firearm is a "weapon" or a "rifle".

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
How about regular capacity mags.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
well the way i see it is. its much faster to shorten the word down then to say the whole thing. high cap is way shorter than full capicity magazines.
View Quote

That's just what the anti's want. They want complacency and laziness and the refusal to go the extra mile or the extra syllable. That is one of the ways they can defeat us, by getting the public used to terminology that makes their position look moderate and legitimate.

Get the ill informed, media influenced public into the mindset that "high" capacity magazines are made for evil purposes. And we let them get away with it by using their terminology.

Even my first post and what I've been saying is not what it should have been. Rather than full capacity, which still could be taken as a term of excess by the truly idiotic and extreme anti's, from now on it's standard capacity or restricted capacity.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Realy, the libs are realy good at this game.

Example:  Pro Choice.

Doesn't sound anything like ripping a living human fetus out of the womb and letting it die.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
And how many of us talk about our "Bushmaster AR15" or "Rock River AR15"?  If its not a Colt, its not an AR15.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My Bushmaster AR15 is an awesome assault gun with the ability to accept hi capacity clips without jamming!!! [BD]

J/K

I'm for that too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#13]
This is my rifle, this is my gun etc

Arguing semantics here, like preaching to a choir, is a non-value added exercise.  You should be arguing and uducating the 95% of the great unwashed who neither know or care about the difference.

Now what we should be discussing is the proper time for evening colors.  At Sunset, not 1700 or as the Air Faarce has been known to do it, just before the afternoon shift change so traffic doesn't stop.  Thats something we can really change.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A rifle, is not a gun.

View Quote

Damn, I've been calling my shotgun the wrong thing all these years.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn, I've been calling my shotgun the wrong thing all these years.
View Quote

Yeah, it's a "shot-rifle" or "shot-weapon". [BD]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I suggest:

"standard cap" or "original cap" instead of hi-cap

"reduced cap" or "low-cap" for the postban era mags
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I suggest:

"standard cap" or "original cap" instead of hi-cap

Both are good terms to use although I like standard a little better as it seems to imply that is what the standard should be.

"reduced cap" or "low-cap" for the postban era mags
View Quote

Both are okay terms but I like restricted capacity better. It is a more negative term and tells it more like it is.

That is the whole point of this, not to argue rifle/gun but to use the most positive terms to our side of the AWB and the most negative to their side.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Forget Gun, rifle or weapon.

Call them, dome-shaped-object-propellers!

everybody likes domes!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If I hear one more customer ask for a "clip" I think I'm going to put a gun.......errr a "weapon" in my mouth!

Balming
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I hear one more customer ask for a "clip" I think I'm going to put a gun.......errr a "weapon" in my mouth!

Balming
View Quote

Nah, just sell them a pre-ban clip for thirty dollars.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
well, lets see...

for the AR's.. there are

5 round magazines
10 round magazines
20 round magazines
30 round magazines

(you see where I'm going with this I hope)

don't play into the anti's hands.
The 2nd Ammendment protects our right to keep and bear arms, not grants it.  

Time to make a stand, the anti's have been having their way through a large disinfomation campaign.  Time to say "Fuck you" to them, quote the 2nd and move on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#22]
And we need to jump on their butts every time they trot out the term "for sporting purposes", or "that should not be allowed because it has no sporting purpose."

Only allowing civilians to own "sporting firearms" is a Nazi era concept.  It has no place in a free society.

We have the absolute, God-given RIGHT to own weapons that are useful for SELF DEFENSE, defense of our homes, family, community, and country.

When they say they want to ban "non-sporting weapons", you need to counter, "So, you are against self defense?  You want everyone to be a victim?"
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#23]
working at a gun store this comes up quite a bit.  a coworker and i keep each other in check, prohibiting the other from referring to anything as "high-capacity," "assault rifle," etc...
we have "standard capacity" magazines (NOT CLIPS YOU IGNORANT FUX (sorry...)),
semi-automatic carbines and/or rifles,
long range precision rifles (typical conversation at Shooter's World: Q"is that a sniper rifle?"...A"only if there is a sniper behind it...")
even referring to "evil" AWB features in anything less than a viciously obvious sarcastic tone can create the wrong idea in an unripe mind....
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#24]
For all of you who complain about the term "clip"

A magazine is a place to store extra ammo. There are diffrent kinds a mags, including tubular. A clip is just the type of mag that the AR uses. both terms are right. No offense.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#25]
To me a "clip" is not a magazine.  It is a strip of metal which holds the rounds that can be inserted into the magazine.  AR mags do have stripper clips just for this purpose.

A box of shells??  Ehh, peanut shells or sea shells?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#26]
[b]Clip[/b]:  A device for holding cartridges together, usually to facilitate loading.  Widely used as a synonym for "magazine", although a magazine has a feeding spring, a clip does not.

[b]Magazine[/b]:  A holder for cartridges to be fed into the chamber of a firearm. It may be an integral part of the gun or may be detachable. (See Clip).  A magazine may also mean a secure storage place for ammunition or explosives.
View Quote

So, you and I are at the range, and you ask me for a clip, what do you want me to hand you?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:12:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
working at a gun store this comes up quite a bit.  a coworker and i keep each other in check, prohibiting the other from referring to anything as "high-capacity," "assault rifle," etc...
we have "standard capacity" magazines (NOT CLIPS YOU IGNORANT FUX (sorry...)),
semi-automatic carbines and/or rifles,
long range precision rifles (typical conversation at Shooter's World: Q"is that a sniper rifle?"...A"only if there is a sniper behind it...")
even referring to "evil" AWB features in anything less than a viciously obvious sarcastic tone can create the wrong idea in an unripe mind....
View Quote

This is exactly the point. Those who don't know any better learn from our example. If we use the terminology the anti's use, such as "high capacity" for a standard capacity magazine, the general public gets it reinforced that there is such a thing as an evil high capacity magazine.

We have got to use terminology that is benign in reference to these things and use terminology that is negative in reference to the anti's and their goals and laws. If you call them 10 rounders it doesn't sound negative like saying it's a restricted capacity magazine.

Then explain why it's restricted. The anti's don't believe in the freedom and right to standard capacity. We honest ordinary citizens aren't trustworthy for anything but restricted. I do it with all my customers and frequently I see the light go on inside their head.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted by Stryfe"
"So, you and I are at the range, and you ask me for a clip, what do you want me to hand you?"
View Quote

I wouldn't ask you for a "clip".  You already proved my point.

I'd ask you to put your dictionary down range so I would have another target.  

"Clip; Widely used as a synonym for "magazine", although a magazine has a feeding spring, a clip does not."
View Quote

A synonym used by those who don't know any better.

Never been in the military have you?

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I hadn't really thought about the issues of terminology for weaponry, but LDB is exactly right.  We shouldn't give the antis any sort of yet another leg to stand on.  Verbal references can be astoundingly strong when put up for display by media, etc.  Kind of "turning-it-around" on them i.e. "restricted capacity mags" is a simple yet brilliant brushstroke towards our firearm freedom(s).  Well done.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Lead Delivery Systems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Originally Posted by Stryfe"
"So, you and I are at the range, and you ask me for a clip, what do you want me to hand you?"
View Quote

I wouldn't ask you for a "clip".  You already proved my point.

I'd ask you to put your dictionary down range so I would have another target.  

"Clip; Widely used as a synonym for "magazine", although a magazine has a feeding spring, a clip does not."
View Quote

A synonym used by those who don't know any better.

Never been in the military have you?

View Quote

Two people seperated by the same language. You and I agree. There is a difference between the two. The clip feeds the magazine, the magazine feeds the weapon. That was the best definition I could find. While it says that a clip is commonly referred to as a [b]quote[/b] magazine, it does not say it is correct. In fact it implies the opposite.
In fact the part you quoted describes the major difference, a magazine has a feeding spring, and a clip does not.
I know you wouldn't ask me for a clip, and if you did, I'd give you a ten round stripper.
I was writing my original response the same time you were writing yours, you hit submit first.

And no, I was never in the military.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Stryfe,

I wish you were in my platoon in Vietnam.  I would at least have someone intelligent to talk to.  [8D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Stryfe,

I wish you were in my platoon in Vietnam.  I would at least have someone intelligent to talk to.  [8D]
View Quote

Thank You.
I appreciate your response.
And I appreciate your service.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#34]
A word on striper clips.  

A striper clip is still a type of magazine becuse it holds extra ammo. The reason its called a clip is because it comes out of the rifle. Striper clips were origionaly desing for rifles with internal magazines.  This makes the stripper a clip and the magazine in the rifle an internal magazine.  Then some one got a good idea and thought that if you could load internal mags with a stripper clip then why not load clip or "external" type magazines the same way.  Both are clip type magazines. Clip type because they are removable from the rifle and magazines because the hold extra rounds.  The clips that an AR uses are just a diffrent type of clip than a stripper clip.

Hell the place where the keep the extra pouder charges and shells on a battle ship is called a magazine.  This is because it still the the same basic thing that all mags do and thats hold extra ammo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hadn't really thought about the issues of terminology for weaponry, but LDB is exactly right.  We shouldn't give the antis any sort of yet another leg to stand on.  Verbal references can be astoundingly strong when put up for display by media, etc.  Kind of "turning-it-around" on them i.e. "restricted capacity mags" is a simple yet brilliant brushstroke towards our firearm freedom(s).  Well done.  
View Quote

I wouldn't go as far as brilliant however I do believe it is a logical means of expressing the true situation. We need to be as positive as possible about our correct positions and as negative as possible about the anti's and their incorrect positions. Never let up on them and never let anyone doubt which side is right. Use everything possible against them, including their own terminology systems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#36]
And an "Assault Rifle" is select fire, right?

We have AR15-style light autoloading rifles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A word on striper clips.  

A striper clip is still a type of magazine becuse it holds extra ammo. The reason its called a clip is because it comes out of the rifle. Striper clips were origionaly desing for rifles with internal magazines.  This makes the stripper a clip and the magazine in the rifle an internal magazine.  Then some one got a good idea and thought that if you could load internal mags with a stripper clip then why not load clip or "external" type magazines the same way.  Both are clip type magazines. Clip type because they are removable from the rifle and magazines because the hold extra rounds.  The clips that an AR uses are just a diffrent type of clip than a stripper clip.

Hell the place where the keep the extra pouder charges and shells on a battle ship is called a magazine.  This is because it still the the same basic thing that all mags do and thats hold extra ammo.
View Quote

You are missing the point, if you use them interchangably, you create confusion, contribute to the fog of war, help murphy, and will eventually bring down all of American society. So stop it.

If Face Man had asked B.A. for the magazines, as he should have, B.A. never would have misunderstood him and thought he said Eclipse. Eclipse was the word in the subliminal suggestion that caused B.A. to pass out so they could get on the plane. Thus B.A. wouldn't have passed out in the middle of a firefight. Nice going Face.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top