Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:13:02 AM EDT
How cold can it get before an AR lubricated with CLP will begin to have function problems?

My can of "Break Free" CLP says that it's "Operating Range" is down to -65 degrees F! If this is really the case, then why do I hear that about people using dry lube in their rifles in the winter?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I find that claim highly dubious.  After about -10 I find CLP to be far too viscous.  FP-10 claims -65 I think, and it is less viscous than BF CLP at cold temperatures.  At -65, you are better off without any of the traditional lubes.  At those temperatures, I use either nothing, dry lube, or a hint of Hoppes #9 solvent.  Just breathing on your firing pin at those temps will freeze it in place, same with handling ammo with your bare hands when it's that cold.

P.S. I have shot at -67 below and have experienced -77.  I peed and had it freeze before it hit the ground (from 20 feet up), thrown a hot cup of coffee up in the air and had it freeze (has to be hot coffee though).
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Too damn cold for me...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#3]
at 10 degrees F,  I have has CLP gel up on me  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies so far, anyone else?

Also, does anyone have specific recommendations on how to lube and what products to use when it gets too cold for CLP?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies so far, anyone else?

Also, does anyone have specific recommendations on how to lube and what products to use when it gets too cold for CLP?

Quoted:
use either nothing, dry lube, or a hint of Hoppes #9 solvent

Wipe the lube on, then wipe it off.  Leave as thin film as you can. Don't breath on the parts in the cold.  FP-10 will work at lower temps than BF CLP.  I had good luck with RemOil at low temps as well but I didn't try it on an AR.  Most lubes simply goo up to badly at low temps to be of much use, so apply as sparingly as you can, or just don't use a liquid lube.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have shot at -67 below and have experienced -77.  I peed and had it freeze before it hit the ground (from 20 feet up), thrown a hot cup of coffee up in the air and had it freeze (has to be hot coffee though).

SHAT!!!!   Man, that IS cold!!  I can't imagine being exposed to any weather that cold.  Can you still reproduce after being in something like that?  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have shot at -67 below and have experienced -77.  I peed and had it freeze before it hit the ground (from 20 feet up), thrown a hot cup of coffee up in the air and had it freeze (has to be hot coffee though).

SHAT!!!!   Man, that IS cold!!  I can't imagine being exposed to any weather that cold.  Can you still reproduce after being in something like that?  

Yeap,as long as things dont turn purple.
I dont think we will ever see temps like that here in Tennessee.What do you think JSIG?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Man, that IS cold!!  I can't imagine being exposed to any weather that cold.  Can you still reproduce after being in something like that?  

Well, yes and no.  You can after thawing, but there won't be any women around to do it with.  Women do not like the cold here and can be frigid no matter what the temp.  Alcohol can help.

I hope it's understood that those temps I mentioned are NOT with wind chill factor.  I've spent weeks in wind chill factors lower than -100.

The coldest I know of was a friend who's house was hit with temperatures in the negative 80's.  His windows shattered.  The temperature was officially recorded.  In Fairbanks, official temperature is recorded at the airport - no one lives at the Airport.

Vehicle tires literally become squares, the bottoms remain flat until after a while of driving.  Set your parking brake and it may never release, throttles stick (makes things interesting).  Heating fuel gels up, frostbite occurs, metal shatters.  Fairbanks usually experiences -50 below (without wind chill factor) for 1 or 2 weeks each winter, ice fog is common.

However, we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, and huge floods are rare.  We get earthquakes all the time but none usually to big.  No snakes, termites, or cockroaches, but the mosquitoes will eat you alive.

CNN goes on and on about a few thousand acres burning.  This year, fires in Alaska burned over 6.1 MILLION acres, but barely a mention because rich people and their houses weren't involved as a norm.  The smoke was terrible.

It's a wonderland filled will both good and bad, but mostly unique.  Visit us sometime, just be sure to do it in the summer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]

I dont think we will ever see temps like that here in Tennessee.What do you think JSIG?

No, I dont think we will either.  I am in northeast TN, the weather is always pretty mild here.  We are lucky in that way, although the weather DOES change every five minutes.

Well, yes and no. You can after thawing, but there won't be any women around to do it with. Women do not like the cold here and can be frigid no matter what the temp. Alcohol can help.

Thats funny, we use alcohol for the same thing here, and it doesnt even get very cold!

It's a wonderland filled will both good and bad, but mostly unique. Visit us sometime, just be sure to do it in the summer.

Man, i would love to.  I think it would HAVE to be in the summer for my mild climate butt!

Blankwaffe98, what part of TN are you in?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Are there reports of attacks by large predators? (Large bears and the like)?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, that IS cold!!  I can't imagine being exposed to any weather that cold.  Can you still reproduce after being in something like that?  

Well, yes and no.  You can after thawing, but there won't be any women around to do it with.  Women do not like the cold here and can be frigid no matter what the temp.  Alcohol can help.

I hope it's understood that those temps I mentioned are NOT with wind chill factor.  I've spent weeks in wind chill factors lower than -100.

The coldest I know of was a friend who's house was hit with temperatures in the negative 80's.  His windows shattered.  The temperature was officially recorded.  In Fairbanks, official temperature is recorded at the airport - no one lives at the Airport.

Vehicle tires literally become squares, the bottoms remain flat until after a while of driving.  Set your parking brake and it may never release, throttles stick (makes things interesting).  Heating fuel gels up, frostbite occurs, metal shatters.  Fairbanks usually experiences -50 below (without wind chill factor) for 1 or 2 weeks each winter, ice fog is common.

However, we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, and huge floods are rare.  We get earthquakes all the time but none usually to big.  No snakes, termites, or cockroaches, but the mosquitoes will eat you alive.

CNN goes on and on about a few thousand acres burning.  This year, fires in Alaska burned over 6.1 MILLION acres, but barely a mention because rich people and their houses weren't involved as a norm.  The smoke was terrible.

It's a wonderland filled will both good and bad, but mostly unique.  Visit us sometime, just be sure to do it in the summer.

Sounds like good old Cavalier AFS, ND.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, I dont think we will either.  I am in northeast TN, the weather is always pretty mild here.  We are lucky in that way, although the weather DOES change every five minutes.

Well, yes and no. You can after thawing, but there won't be any women around to do it with. Women do not like the cold here and can be frigid no matter what the temp. Alcohol can help.

Thats funny, we use alcohol for the same thing here, and it doesnt even get very cold!

It's a wonderland filled will both good and bad, but mostly unique. Visit us sometime, just be sure to do it in the summer.

Man, i would love to.  I think it would HAVE to be in the summer for my mild climate butt!

Blankwaffe98, what part of TN are you in?

Stays darn humid here in the low lands year round.Hot too.Winters are mild though so thats a plus.
Lots of rain.In fact we got hammered with storms last night with a little over six inches of rain in a matter of a couple hours.Low temp operation is not an issue but corrosion is.
-80 below would send me into the airport for a flight south.Thats just too much for me.I dont see how folks can even make a living in weather like that.

JSIG Im in southern middle Tennessee.About 40 miles south of Nashville.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]

P.S. I have shot at -67 below and have experienced -77. I peed and had it freeze before it hit the ground (from 20 feet up), thrown a hot cup of coffee up in the air and had it freeze (has to be hot coffee though).

ref to ak_mikes comment on relieving yourself in that type of weather, i dont care how bad i have to go im not going to expose my equipment*  to flesh destroying temps.  

(equipment*)  the vital part of the body on the male species that is located in the warm region between the legs. it stays warm for a reason
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, trust me, I didn't tinkle without good reason.  I waited as long as I could until I was desperate.  It was either that or walk 300 yards back to our main facility at -77 taking the time to get all bundled up before, then making the trip back and unbundling, wasting a lot of time.

However, after I did it, the other two were goaded into it after some appropriate bragging and taunting.  Needless to say the next time around we took our time to bundle up and walk both ways, the time wasn't as wasted as we had thought.  I'd never voluntarily do it again.

It helped that there wasn't any wind, if there was, I don't think my little buddy would have made it through it unscathed...

Sorry to keep off thread
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#15]
For Cold weather Ops .....

Cold Weather Operations     (If  it's hard to read try the zoom feature - let me know if the link works or not)

The Army does not recommend CLP below 10 Degrees - Some newer all synthetic CLPs (FP-10?) may have better cold weather characteristics.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top