Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/25/2004 4:19:08 PM EST
After September 14th plans of course....

I have a post-ban 16" with plain barrel and post-ban M4 14.5" barrel with mini-Y compensator making it the legal 16".

What are my options with a Vortex FS?

• Thread the 16" like any other pre-ban?

• Can the Vortex FS be permanently attached to a M4 14.5" barrel just like the Mini-Y compensator or does it have to be threaded to the barrel?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:36:09 PM EST
As far as I know, and every Vortex I've seen, requires a threaded barrel. You will not be able to attach it (pin it) to the barrel in the same manner the brake is installed. I recommend threading the 16" barrel and using the Vortex if you'd like. IMO I would not permanently attach a Vortex to a 14.5" barrel simply because of the Vortex design. I've heard of the open-ended prongs bending or breaking off. If the FS is permanently attached, you're screwed. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:52:22 PM EST
correct me if im wrong, but I thought that the bushy 14.5 is threaded, its just welded and pinned. if your worried send it to ADCO or another competent smith/builder who supports AR15.com. they will be able to remove your mini-y and install the G-6 vortex. they will heat it and pin and weld it. im planning on doing the same with mine. hope this helps
Remman
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:14:37 AM EST
ADCO sure does...I think it's like 55 bucks or something? Check there website on the industry forums.
Top Top