Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 5:19:08 PM EDT
After September 14th plans of course....

I have a post-ban 16" with plain barrel and post-ban M4 14.5" barrel with mini-Y compensator making it the legal 16".

What are my options with a Vortex FS?

• Thread the 16" like any other pre-ban?

• Can the Vortex FS be permanently attached to a M4 14.5" barrel just like the Mini-Y compensator or does it have to be threaded to the barrel?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, and every Vortex I've seen, requires a threaded barrel. You will not be able to attach it (pin it) to the barrel in the same manner the brake is installed. I recommend threading the 16" barrel and using the Vortex if you'd like. IMO I would not permanently attach a Vortex to a 14.5" barrel simply because of the Vortex design. I've heard of the open-ended prongs bending or breaking off. If the FS is permanently attached, you're screwed. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
correct me if im wrong, but I thought that the bushy 14.5 is threaded, its just welded and pinned.  if your worried send it to ADCO or another competent smith/builder who supports AR15.com.  they will be able to remove your mini-y  and install the G-6 vortex.  they will heat it and pin and weld it.  im planning on doing the same with mine.  hope this helps
Remman
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
ADCO sure does...I think it's like 55 bucks or something? Check there website on the industry forums.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top