Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:28:04 AM EST
What kind of accuracy are you getting at 50yds with your 22lr dedicated uppers and what kind of ammo do you need to get it?

Using my Kuehl Precision upper, I am able to put 7 out of 10 shots into a 0.5" group and the remaining 3 into a 1" group. (This is pretty good shooting for me.) However, to do this, I need to shoot Wolf Match Target and run them through the Paco tool to get them more uniform. The Paco tool swages the ammo to make it more uniform. The group sizes noticeably shrink when I use it.

While I could certainly use some more practice, I'm getting the feeling that moving to the next level of accuracy will require a higher grade of ammo, particularly if I extend the range to 100 yds.

I'm beginning to wonder if 17Mach2 would be inherently more accurate and at a lesser price. The 17Mach2 sells for $5/50 while the Wolf Match Target sells for $3.50/50. The next step up is Wolf Extra Match at $8/50.

Any comments
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:29:42 AM EST
My DPMS M4 .22 will put cheap Winchester Dynapoints into an inch at 50 all day long, or into 3/8" @ 25. My best 50-yard group with it so far is just over 5/8", but I don't claim that it will do THAT all day.

Yesterday my 1:12 AR with M261 was shooting pretty good, too. Fired 8 5-shot groups @25, the best five averaged .350". This is again with the cheap Winchester Dynapoints.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:51:26 PM EST
I shot 1/2in groups at 75yards today with my DPMS 22lr. I like it alot .
cant wait to get the .223 upper for it. Hope thos 30rd clips will be out soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:55:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By dpmsshooter10:
I shot 1/2in groups at 75yards today with my DPMS 22lr.

What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:03:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Southern_Raider:

I shot 1/2in groups at 75yards today with my DPMS 22lr.

What ammo are you using?

I was wondering the same thing.

I know plenty of guys with VERY serious bolt guns and tricked-out 10/22s that would love to shoot 1/2" at 75 yards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:55:35 PM EST
DPMS Bull barrel upper with Remington Target ammo (green/blue box) at 50 yards, offhand, slowfire:

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:20:17 PM EST
Offhand? OFFHAND? I wonder if that means the same thing where you live as it does where I do. My BS detector is buzzing for the second time this thread.

That would be a real nice group off a bench on a no-wind day. If I could shoot groups like that OFFHAND at 50 with a scoped AR .22, in the real world, everybody could just kiss my ass! (Best Dave Letterman voice)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:49:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By Snake45:
Offhand? OFFHAND? I wonder if that means the same thing where you live as it does where I do. My BS detector is buzzing for the second time this thread.

That would be a real nice group off a bench on a no-wind day. If I could shoot groups like that OFFHAND at 50 with a scoped AR .22, in the real world, everybody could just kiss my ass! (Best Dave Letterman voice)

I shot competitive smallbore rifle for about 10 years. The group is about an inch or 2 MOA at 50 yards. I still have friends who even at the advanced age we've reach, shoot groups like that or smaller, all the time, and a bunch can do it with iron (diopter) sights. That was my best group of the day, though I was consistently under 2".

Should you be in this part of the world feel free to drop me an email. We can go shooting and you can meet some guys who will embarass you greatly

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:57:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By DavidC:
Should you be in this part of the world feel free to drop me an email. We can go shooting and you can meet some guys who will embarass you greatly

I'm sure they would. Whereabouts generally in PA are you? That might actually be do-able. I'll bring my DPMS M4 .22 and see if you can do it with THAT. (BTW, 2" groups offhand at 50 I believe!)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:08:46 PM EST
I'm in SE PA, just north of Philadelphia.

And since I went to bifocals, shooting with iron sights has become quite an adventure

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:52:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By DavidC:
And since I went to bifocals, shooting with iron sights has become quite an adventure

I can relate. At the moment, everything between my front sight and the TV comes in perfectly clear. Closer than that, or farther, I need one sort of glasses or another! The smallest targets I can see for iron sights are 2" squares @ 25, 4" at 40, and 8" or better @ 100. I used to be able to see 1" pasters clearly at 100. Sigh.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:40:07 PM EST
Guys sorry I took a day or two to get back. I was shooting cheap federal
ammo the kind you get in the 550rd box. With the exact same rifle as
pictured above. The DPMS with the bull barrel. shooting with a bench and a vice
5rnds at a time almost always they were with in a 1/2 inch. This rifle is sweet.
getting the DPMS .223 upper with the bull barrel next week cant wait to test it
out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:51:18 AM EST

Guys sorry I took a day or two to get back. I was shooting cheap federal
ammo the kind you get in the 550rd box. With the exact same rifle as
pictured above. The DPMS with the bull barrel. shooting with a bench and a vice
5rnds at a time almost always they were with in a 1/2 inch. This rifle is sweet.
getting the DPMS .223 upper with the bull barrel next week cant wait to test it
out.

1/2" at 75 yards using Federal bulk pack ammo? There are going to be a few people, myself included, that will find this hard to believe...

I suspect you need to re-measure your shooting distance. Either that, or you need to give me lessons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:33:37 AM EST
I use an old 1/12 upper with the gas tube rolled 180 degrees so that the gas port is blocked.

I have a Colt .22 conversion kit dropped into it.

Using the above setup, with Winchester Wildcat .22 ammo (40 gr lead) and my Elcan, at 20m standing, I've got 1" groups as a standard.

Sometimes it shoots slightly better, into around .8", but no better than that.

NavyShooter

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:53:39 PM EST
I've got a CLE .22 LR upper that had shot dime sized groups with both Wolf Match and Wolf Extra at 50 yards. I haven't found a cheap .22 ammo that groups well enough to use for serious use.
Top Top