Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2005 4:22:19 PM EDT
I was thinking about building up a clone out of some parts:

I have a complete A1 upper with teardrop FA, and 16' postban bbl with AK74 break.

What can I do with the bbl to make it more authentic? Were carbine SP1's at all common? I want to have the bbl re-profiled down to a pencil bbl and threaded. What kind of break should it have? Did all the carbines have 4pos CAR stocks?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a skinny barrel with an A1 FH should be good to go.

I think they came with 4 pos. stocks on them.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Reshaping your barrel will not be a good idea, you're better off buying a pencil barrel from bushmaster, complete with flash hider.
There are several problems with making your barrel look authentic, if you dissasemble the barrel and turn it down, the sight tower will no longer fit. Also, the SP1 tower had a bayonet lug, which your's doesn't, so you will need to get a lugged tower and have a smith fit it. The AK74 brake is probably pressed and pinned, so you would have to have the barrel threaded to fit a flash hider. On top of that you are not sure if your barrel's material can be shaved and still be safe. And finally, if you do get it all together you will have to parkerize it.

In the end you might be spending more time and money than if you buy the right thing

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp

Carbine SP1's were not as common as the full size rifles.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks MAD, what about the forward handguards? Were they circular back then?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks MAD, what about the forward handguards? Were they circular back then?

Every time I see an original Colt SP1 carbine, it always has the circular CAR handguards on it.

Good luck with your carbine!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Click Here to get info about purchasing retro lowers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Reshaping your barrel will not be a good idea, you're better off buying a pencil barrel from bushmaster, complete with flash hider.
There are several problems with making your barrel look authentic, if you dissasemble the barrel and turn it down, the sight tower will no longer fit. Also, the SP1 tower had a bayonet lug, which your's doesn't, so you will need to get a lugged tower and have a smith fit it. The AK74 brake is probably pressed and pinned, so you would have to have the barrel threaded to fit a flash hider. On top of that you are not sure if your barrel's material can be shaved and still be safe. And finally, if you do get it all together you will have to parkerize it.

In the end you might be spending more time and money than if you buy the right thing

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp

Carbine SP1's were not as common as the full size rifles.

First, if the barrel isn't turned down under the FSB, it will still fit. Bushmaster uses std. FSBs on their skinny barrels and just turn them down in front and behind the FSB.

Second, ADCO could install, and install correctly, another FSB with a bayonet lug on it without a problem.

Third, Bushmaster threads and pins their permanent muzzle devices. They them weld over them, smooth them out, anf finish them. There are threads under there.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

First, if the barrel isn't turned down under the FSB, it will still fit. Bushmaster uses std. FSBs on their skinny barrels and just turn them down in front and behind the FSB.

This is not true at all. I have purchase three of these in the past for sp1 builds and they are pencil barrels all the way, perfect reproducctions.

Second, ADCO could install, and install correctly, another FSB with a bayonet lug on it without a problem.

As I said, you will need a smith to fit the FSB.

Third, Bushmaster threads and pins their permanent muzzle devices. They them weld over them, smooth them out, anf finish them. There are threads under there.

I don't recall Kalahnikid indicating his barrell was a bushmaster, but even if it is, there will be machining operations required to set the muzzle up for a FH.

You seem to think that modifying the barrel will be a better option, but by the time all the required operations are done, it will be more trouble than it was worth. Unless of course he wants to go through it for the fun of doing it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think a skinny barrel with an A1 FH should be good to go.

I think they came with 4 pos. stocks on them.

WIZZO

Nope. 2 position; open and closed.

And you know something? That's all you need.

Unless, of course, you're going to Iraq, and wearing body armor; in which case you might could use a third detent a couple of inches in from full open.

BTW, I'm with the "get a new Bushie featherweight barrel" crew.

HGs are the early round type, and you'll have a hard time finding a set that are of good quality in today's market. The ones Bushie sells are total crap compared to the original Colt pieces, and they're the best ones I've seen on the aftermarket in recent years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
How easy will it be to find a 2 pos. Colt stock for cheap, though?

I was just throwing the 4 pos. out there because they look about identical.

I think a CMT 4 pos. will give him the look he wants wothout having to go all the way for an actual Colt stock.....unless he wants to get one.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I think Ill just get a new bbl, I know how to install one so thats no prob.

Thanks for all your insights and advice!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How easy will it be to find a 2 pos. Colt stock for cheap, though?

I was just throwing the 4 pos. out there because they look about identical.

I think a CMT 4 pos. will give him the look he wants wothout having to go all the way for an actual Colt stock.....unless he wants to get one.

WIZZO

Abosutely right.  He's almost certainly going to have to go w/a multiposition tube, and a plastic butt, 'cause the origianl 2 position and plastic covered metal stocks are priced up in the collectors item range these days.

BTW, I think the CMT tubes are 6 position, which really is gilding the lily a bit
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a complete A1 upper with teardrop FA, and 16' postban bbl with AK74 break.

Are you trying to truly duplicate an original SP1 configuration or if are you simply trying to build an old school rifle, using as SP1 lower as a base?

No SP1's were ever shipped out with the forward assist, so if you want "authentic" SP1 you should ditch that particular upper.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you trying to truly duplicate an original SP1 configuration or if are you simply trying to build an old school rifle, using as SP1 lower as a base?

No SP1's were ever shipped out with the forward assist, so if you want "authentic" SP1 you should ditch that particular upper.

Just an old school rifle I guess.

Call is a "post SP1" era carbine if you will.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top