Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting  a decent scope for my 14.5" Bushy.  I like Trijicon products and came across the Accupoint TR20.  I like the variable magnification and the triangle reticle.  I'll be shooting primarily from 200 yards, out to 300 eventually.  

Anyone have any experience with the Accupoint?   Pros/cons?  Any suggestions on mounts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider getting the version with the red reticle.  Depending on where you shoot you could get much better contrast.  I find the amber reticle can blend into the background when I'm shooting against dirt or light colored vegetation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Consider getting the version with the red reticle.  Depending on where you shoot you could get much better contrast.  I find the amber reticle can blend into the background when I'm shooting against dirt or light colored vegetation.

Yep.  Was definitely looking for the red reticle.  

I've seen the LaRue SPR-EER.  Looks like a nice forward mount to give me the desired eye relief.  I see Grant has them but is sold out!  Any other good sources for LaRue products?

So I was initially considering the TR20. Now I'm thinking about the TR21 which is the slightly smaller, less powerful version.  For 200-300 yard shooting, (mostly 200) what do you guys think is better?  There's really no siginificat difference in price.

Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the TR21, the 1.25-4 power.  I did get the amber triangle, but have had no problems losing it in the background. ymmv.   At its lowest power, it's like using a red dot scope  -- aim with both eyes open.  4 power is enough to see clearly details like "how many points on that antler?"  Even though small, the 24mm objective has a modest amount of light amplification, so at dusk, what you see is still brighter than the naked eye alone.  

I've found in bright sunlight, I really have to clamp down the amount of light feeding into the fiber optic ring otherwise the triangle is *too* bright.    That's not a complaint you hear about illuminated reticles very often.

I'm using a one-piece mount from Armalite, but on an AR10, the rail is considerably longer than an AR15, so eye relief is not a problem for me.   MSTN may have Larue mounts.  I've done business with them -- good folks.

Best thing I like is no batteries!  I have too dang many gizmos that need batteries....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I sold my TA31F tha I used for over 2 years to try one of these 1.25-4X wonders, I have listed it twice to sell it because I was missing my TA31F, But Ive decided to keep it now 3 times, hahahhaha. I just cant seam to find a reason to sell it. Its almost as fast as an Aimpoint for 0-25 meters on 1.25X and just as accurate as my TA31F out to 300 meters, I just cant think of a GOOD enough reason to sell it at this point.
Its a great scope, the more I use it the more I love it.

TR21R in Larue SPR-EE mount

Definately get the red ret. though!!!
chuck
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I sold my TA31F tha I used for over 2 years to try one of these 1.25-4X wonders, I have listed it twice to sell it because I was missing my TA31F, But Ive decided to keep it now 3 times, hahahhaha. I just cant seam to find a reason to sell it. Its almost as fast as an Aimpoint for 0-25 meters on 1.25X and just as accurate as my TA31F out to 300 meters, I just cant think of a GOOD enough reason to sell it at this point.
Its a great scope, the more I use it the more I love it.

TR21R in Larue SPR-EE mount

Definately get the red ret. though!!!
chuck

Nice setup there eagle!  I like the ACOGs as well but it seems that for my purpose, the Accupoint may work better for me.  I like the variable magnification the most.  Just having a hard time deciding between the TR20 or 21.  I like the TR21 since the 1.25 setting should be fast and similar to my Aimpoint but I'll still have the 4x magnification if need be.  

Then I say since the price is so close between the two, I should just get the 3x-9x TR20....  Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!  

Can anyone else chime in before I dump $750+ on this new rig??
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running a 21 (red reticle) on one of my rifles now and love the thing to death. I keep the power set on 4x for distance work, but usually keep the front lens cap closed and use the scope as an occluded sight for close in work (though I can make clean hits at 100 yrds with it). My mount is a Larue SPR-E mount.  I got the entire set-up from MSTN for about $725.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used all the popular sights/scopes and the TR21 w/ red triangle is my favorite. It is on my primary carbine for 2 classes this spring. It's fast, versitle, bright, always on, no batteries, and usable in all lighting conditions. It is rugged enough for my use.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had several aimpoints and acogs specifically the ta31f. Now I'm using a TR21R. It's almost the best of both worlds, of course opinions will vary. It took me a while to switch over in order to gain as much information as I could regarding the accupoint and the mounting system, but it was worth it. It's a remarkable scope priced reasonably. As most have pointed out, the scope allows you to use it at closer distances and at further distances as well. If you are "only" going to use the scope for long shots, then get the TR20. For me, I like the flexibility of the TR21R and the 4x will still get you hits at a 12 inch plate at 400 yds and out with the right dope. So the choice was easy for me because I knew the power range I wanted to stay at. Moving up to the 10 power range where you may want to do some holdovers, ranging, or the like, I choose the Nightforce 2.5-10. Reticle choice along with excellent glass and construction, field of view, positive click adjustments, and value for money was the driving point. So define you're realistic use and pick the scope that best fits your parameters.

As for the mounting of the TR21R, Larue has the SPR-E for this, but I did not use it. Instead I used the PRI Accumount which MSTN had made, according to Paul, specifically for this scope in order to address a few minor improvements. If you want more detail, give Paul a call and he will answer all your questions. Don't get me wrong, the Larue mounts are top notch. I'm using 2 Larue SPR mounts for the nightforce 2.5-10 and for a leupold 4.5-14 scope.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info fellas... Really appreciate it.

So you've all pretty much talked me into the scope.  Now just have to decide on which model.  Right now I'm leaning to the TR21R 1.25x4 since it may give me some benefits of my Aimpoint along with the ability to magnify at longer ranges.  Price difference is negligible so thats not a factor.

The LaRue SPR-EER looks like my best bet as far as a mount is concerned but I can't find a place that has one in stock!  I checked with Grant last night and while his prices are great, he has no ETA on it...

Any other GOOD options for mounts, or should I hold off on the LRT??
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the TR21r, but sold it for financial reasons.  

The Larue SPR-E was absolutely worth EVERY PENNY of that $215, and I'm NOT a LaRue junkie.  (well, I wasn't before anyway).

I will have another (on my 14.5"), and I think the TR21 is much better for a 14.5" than the TR20.

I would be VERY surprised if you were disappointed.

Not having to use batteries EVER was a very attractive feature.  It had me thinking about selling off all my EOTechs to buy TriPowers.  When the reticle washed out, I had a BIG FAT BLACK pointer in it's place, so that was fine too.

One thing I will add though regarding reticle color.  

It's a very subjective choice.  Some like red better, some like amber.

I had red, and thought it was GREAT in the daytime.  But at night, I could barely see the reticle at all, and it took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to be able to see it.  

If your shooting is mostly in daylight, then definitely red.  If you're going to shoot at night, then I'd try harder to look through both.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Another question while we're on the subject...

I have an ARMS 40L BUIS on my rifle now.  Will I be able to use this with the TR21R or should I sell it as well with the Aimpoint to help fund the Trijicon??

Am I correct in saying that it will work with the 1.25x setting?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]
My Troy BUIS will deploy w/ TR21 mounted, but there is no co-witness and my PRI front is not visable even on 1.25x.BTW That's another advantage of this sight mounted w/ a LaRue SPR-E... there's even less need for irons in bad light and if the sight becomes damaged and unusable, the QD levers on the mount are perfect to remove the sight and use the irons.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My Troy BUIS will deploy w/ TR21 mounted, but there is no co-witness and my PRI front is not visable even on 1.25x.BTW That's another advantage of this sight mounted w/ a LaRue SPR-E... there's even less need for irons in bad light and if the sight becomes damaged and unusable, the QD levers on the mount are perfect to remove the sight and use the irons.

So I assume that my standard FSP will not be visible either?  Sorry... I forgot what PRI stands for!

Since I've had my Aimpoint, I've never even used my irons so I don't think its too big a deal for me.  I'll probably hold on to the ARMS 40L for now, see how it works.  If I don't like it, I'll sell it.

Keep the info comin' guys!  As you can see, I'm pretty new at this whole scope thing, so any info is appreciated!

Anyone want to make me an offer on my Aimpoint ML2 with ARMS 22M68 mount + riser?  LIKE NEW !
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure your front sight will not be an issue even at 1.25x.
PRI makes a flip up front sight. Even w/ it deployed, I don't see it thru the TR21.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top