Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:43:02 AM EDT
I need to do some load testing for accuracy at 100 yards with my AR-15 (standard forend, not free floated) off of sandbags.  It is my understanding that the AR is sensitive to shooter technique, particularly to the way the barrel/forearm is supported.  What works best?  Should I just let the forend sit freely on the front sandbag and control the gun with the pistol grip and the rear sandbag/hand combo, or is there something better?  I am not interested in point of impact, just pure accuracy.  TIA.

-John
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say it depends on the forearm. A free floated system won't be affected. For load testing, the key is consistency though. The hold, whether its a bipod, sandbag or whatever, needs to be consistent to test the load instead of the shooter or the weapon.

And most of the 'pressure on forend' issue is concerned with sling pressure on the forend of a non-free float system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 It is my understanding that the AR is sensitive to shooter technique, particularly to the way the barrel/forearm is supported.    TIA.

-John[/quo

I thought all firearms were sensitive to shooter technique.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my best groups from supporting as close the the upper as possible,  if you got a FFT it dont matter,  My worst accuracy came from a bipod mounted way up on just handguards,  anyway My advice is FF it and it dont really matter,  It only took 2 things to make my Match target Comp HBAR to go from 1" to 1/4",  I had a Free float tube installed, and a Jewell Trigger.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I've used your technique and have been getting nice round groups.  No stringing.

Quoted:
I got my best groups from supporting as close the the upper as possible,  if you got a FFT it dont matter,  My worst accuracy came from a bipod mounted way up on just handguards,  anyway My advice is FF it and it dont really matter,  It only took 2 things to make my Match target Comp HBAR to go from 1" to 1/4",  I had a Free float tube installed, and a Jewell Trigger.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top