Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2014 6:51:48 PM EDT
Hey all, I just saw this carbine and plan to make this my next purchase. Anybody out there have one of these they can chime in on? Reviews say better trigger, accuracy, and less recoil than the CX4. I think I'm sold. I've been looking for a .40 cal upper for forever it seems but couldn't find one that didn't seem like a hassle to get to run and find mags for. And I can find this for under $700 which is about what I'd have to spend on an upper and dedicated mag block.  I was hoping to find some CT40 owners who could chime in.

Thanks all,

Bravo
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm also considering one. I think I'll wait a while and see what the markets reaction is before I buy one. My big hang up is the magazines. The 9mm version I played with seemed to use an Uzi magazine with a notch cut in the back for the magazine release. If the .40 S&W version uses the same type of magazine, it seems likely that Uzi magazines could be modded to work.
Like many of us with extra .40 cal ammo, I patiently waited for RRA to bring their LR40 to market only to be disappointed by the SNAFU with the magazines. I ended up buying a CX4 in .40 and never regretted it.
If the Taurus ends up being half way decent I may consider it some time next year, but so far it doesn't seem like its making much of a splash.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have thrice looked at the Taurus. Its OK as for feel but sadly, compared to my CX-4 Storm it looks, well....cheap. Taurus is NOT a high end gun. My Beretta has a chrome lined barrel, its very well machined and it uses Beretta 92 magazines which as about as easy to find as any made. The CX-4 trigger is easy to improve, I did mine in ten minutes at home with common tools.

As for accuracy...better than a CX-4? Well, I will have to see that to believe it.

Pricing on the Taurus is just WAY too much!  For what they are going for I bought a Just Right Carbine which is a finely made rifle that is a tack driver. My CX-4 is smaller and lighter, much shorter as the mag is in the pistol grip, and the price is not much more for a new one. There is no comparison in build quality, the CX-4 shames the Taurus. I would buy a Taurus if they were priced right for the quality, about a $500-$550 would be right. As is they are much than that and more than they are worth compared to the competition.

And they come with ten round mags that are unique (look at that forward slant). Try to buy a spare mag for one. Try to buy something more than ten rounds for one.  I would guess that is why the two gun shops in my area have them sitting on the rack gathering dust.

As for the favorable reviews, I see many of the one's on-line are done by folks who were "loaned" or given one of these rifles by Taurus or a distributor. Its not wise to bite the hand that feeds and trash the rifle they gave you!  And, on one review when the author was praising the rifle so much he did this:

"I asked five of my experienced shooting buddies (including two prior-service guys) to shoot the Taurus CT9 side-by-side with the Beretta Cx4 Storm and then let me know which carbine they like better. Invariably, everybody who shot both carbines side by side picked the Beretta."

They did like the Taurus trigger better, but then he probably had a factory trigger on the CX-4. What they did like most about the Beretta was the size. The CX-4 is a nice compact firearm, what you would expect a PCC to be. Its way shorter than the Taurus...way shorter, and way lighter. The Taurus feels like a normal rifle, not a compact PCC.

If I could buy a Taurus CT-9 for even $550 I would, just because I collect and love PCC's. But, for the price they are asking for them....way too many other good choices out there. TNW ASR, the JRC, the CX-4 and more. I really want to like this rifle...I love 9mm PCC's. But reality sets in and I have to look at what is out there for this price and just how good a carbine is this thing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I think taurus missed the boat by not making this in .45. Not nearly as many .45 carbines available and the 10 round mag capacity and extra weight over other PCCs probably wouldn't be as much of a liability. There was an earlier thread with a link to someone who had acquired an imported 30 round mag from the SMG version and had modded it. I just did a quick search for spare mags for this carbine in 9mm or .40 but couldn't find any for sale.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think taurus missed the boat by not making this in .45. Not nearly as many .45 carbines available and the 10 round mag capacity and extra weight over other PCCs probably wouldn't be as much of a liability. There was an earlier thread with a link to someone who had acquired an imported 30 round mag from the SMG version and had modded it. I just did a quick search for spare mags for this carbine in 9mm or .40 but couldn't find any for sale.
View Quote

From what I understand an offering in 45Acp is forthcoming. And at about $624, that's not too bad of a price.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top